cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nextel does offer 3g on some IDEN phones explain

Journeyman

nextel does offer 3g on some IDEN phones explain

i was interested in buying the motorola i1 and was disappointed it is dependent on WiFi  and relys on its lousy 2g speeds when not on WiFi

so i lookd at the list of phones  Sprint/Nextel offers for PTT users and they have a few PTT IDEN phones that offer 3g explain cuz i am so confused at why the motoi1 is handicapped---Pro 700,, V950

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: nextel does offer 3g on some IDEN phones explain

Thats because those phones arent iden but a cdma hybrid. the use the cdma system on an internet ip address for direct connect. They should do the same for the i1 or the blackberry but they didn't

Journeyman

Yea not really sure why Sprint/Nextel didnt make the I1 a 3g phone, I have it and it is a great phone considering no 3g.  Yes the Blackberry should be 3g as well.

Journeyman

I rejoined Sprint/Nextel after a 6 year hiatus (sp) with Another Provider.............We rejoined in August, and I purchased an i1 and was so very excited to have an android phone running on the IDEN network.  I was extremely disappointed with the internet speed with this device.  The opera web browser helped tremendously, but you can't use the opera to download apps off the android market.  Downloading was very slow if you weren't connected via wireless.  I have since switched over to the Sprint side of the Network and picked up an android phone and love the speed.  I was a little disppointed that I had to give up my "Rugged" adroid device with direct connect to get faster more tolerable internet speeds.  I still have my i1 incase Sprint/Nextel decides to ever speed up the Nextel side of the network.  I would like to see them move the equipment from Sprint 3g over to Nextel after 4G takes off and becomes the standard on the Sprint side of the network.

The irony right now is that NII Holdings (formerly known as Nextel International) is about to introduce 3G HSPA+ phones for their iDEN user base.  So they'll have iDEN for their calling and PTT needs, and HSPA+ for all data transmissions.  Hmmm...so NII Holdings can upgrade their iDEN network to allow for faster data transmissions.  So, they can obviously offer FASTER data without the need for WiFi.

Since NII Holdings can do that with iDEN, then the question is why can't...err...why WON'T Sprint do the same (or better) with the Nextel iDEN network?

If anything, Sprint should introduce the series of Harmoney iDEN/WiMAX/WiFi phones that Motorola offered up to Nextel prior to merging with Sprint.  That way, us Nextel iDEN folks can get faster data downloads (via WiMAX...where available), and rely on iDEN for data only in those extreme circumstances.  But we know the real reason why Sprint wouldn't do that...becase if they did offer us such phones, there would be a HUGE SURGE in iDEN subscribers...and it would instantly dwarf the Sprint CDMA side.

So, that's why there is no "3G" option for us Nextel iDEN users...it's a shame.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It seems to me that it would behoove Sprint to update and upgrade speeds on Nextel Network.  I pose the question: Why did the users of the Nextel Network choose to go with the Nextel Network??  Being a user of the service myself and interjecting my personal opinions, here is my theory.  Users chose the NN for a multitude of reasons some of which are: Rugged devices, I would say that a large sample of the subscribers are businesses.  When i was using Nextel back when I first purchase a contract phone I NEVER NEVER had issues with the phones.  They didnt break, have OS, or software issues that "no one has ever come across that before" the CS Agents were very knowledgeable when it came to troubleshooting the phones if and when there were issues.  The Direct Connect instant 2 way communication I believe was the second big reason why NN have/had so many subscribers.  No other provided the proven capability to instantly connect with other subscribers.  Last, they phones didn't have all the bells and whistles that all the other providers were coming out with.  In the business mans prospective the perfect phone.  Their drivers, demonstrators, suppliers didn't have the capabilities to surf the net, play complex games, download music etc. It was the perfect device and service to have for businesses.  Now as far as the regular consumer I believe it was the cool factor of having the instant 2 way communication that helped along with the Ruggedness of the devices, much similar to that of the reasons that the businesses subscribed to the service.  Now why did I have to give up on Nextel?? I had trouble justifiying paying 5.00 for each device to have unlimited mobile to mobile on the NN, in addition to pay for peak minutes when we didn't call someone on the NN.  The other providers had me Hook line and sinker on that.  What was my trade off?? I had to loose my rugged device for one that ran on CDMA and I was always calling in regarding frozen devices or ones that wouldn't turn on or shut off etc.  I believe it would be an asset to Sprint to upgrade the NN to be more competetive with the other providers and in sense increase revenues by I would say at the very least 3 fold.  If the speed upgraded I would in a hearbeat drop this sprint device and be back on my i1 and never look back.  I am sure there are millions of others out there that would surely do the same.  JMO, and maybe that is why I am not the president or VP of operations for Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat