Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G? what's the speed of 3G

Journeyman

3G? what's the speed of 3G

I spoke to a rep from Sprint online, advising them my data speed was very slow, she said to turn the phone off, they would update my settings, turned it on and wait for 30 minutes for the update to take effect, this is the speed I'm showing, (slower then my Palm Pre without the premium data charge) photo.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

My understanding is, if you're getting from about .40 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps, that's fairly typical with a good signal and moderate user load.  It can go higher.  I'd hope when the build-out is complete we'd be able to draw 1.0 Mbps (or much higher) on a consistent basis.

Journeyman

photo.jpg

Try and beat this haha.  So much for unlimited data huh.

Wizard

GNN215, as seeblue1 alluded to, the speeds you see on 3G can vary greatly. There are many reasons for this. The most common are network congestion (many simultaneous users on tower), frequent tower switching (using device in moving car) and location specific reasons (distance from tower, weather, …).

The general rule for 3G speeds is 600-1400 kbps (0.6-1.4 Mbps) for 3G download speeds, but slower speeds are not unheard of. When using an application to measure your bandwidth, remember that the test only measure the available bandwidth to the device and not the full bandwidth being served. If you device is running a background data service simultaneously (such as Siri, streaming music,…) with the speed test, you will see slower than actual speeds. Overall, the speeds posted do not seem too unusual.

If you are consistently having data issues I encourage you to update your network credentials and to enable data roaming. To update your network credentials, on your iPhone open the Key Pad as if you are going to make a call. Dial ##873283# and tap Call. A message will appear, “Starting Service Update”, tap OK. The service update takes 2-5 minutes. When the service update is finished a second pop-up will appear, “Service Update Complete”. When you see “Sprint 3G” in the top left corner of the screen, your iPhone is ready to use. This process updates your Sprint credentials (Profile), network preferences (PRL), and iOS software. You can also update your network preferences and iOS software in the settings menu.

Enable data roaming on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Network. For most Sprint unlimited plans, data roaming is included. If you are unsure if your plan includes data roaming you can check at by logging into My Sprint at sprint.com and looking under the My account tab. Your plan details will say something along the lines of “America – Roaming Included”.

Sprint has introduced a new webpage for our customers to follow our progress upgrading the network. If you visit sprint.com/network, you can see all the upgrades made to the network in your area in the last six months, in addition you can see the upgrades we intend to make to your network over the next six months. If you live in an area where there is much happening to your network, we try to keep the network online during all upgrades, but sometimes we need to take a tower or two down during this process for a few hours. Good Luck.

Wizard

pinguero, I see from your other posts that you live in Brooklyn, NY. I looked up your zip code (11209) and it appears that we are agressively adding capacity to your area. As a matter of fact it appears that we over 30 upgrades that we are making in your zip over the next six months and have alreade completed another 14 in last six months. In the mean time I recommend you turn on data roaming as discribed above and follow the progress of these upgrades at sprint.com/network. Cheers.

Journeyman

100% agree with @GNN215 and @pinguero 3G speed is terrable. And it isn't only in 11209 (zip) but all over NYC.
All Manhattan - Downtown, Midtown and uptown (except Harlem, have no chance to test network there)

I called to Sprint CS and open case. Phone reseted, network settings reseted and PRL updated by calling following combination ##UPDATE# (##873283#). Nothing changed/helped.

Here is my speedtest log.

photo.PNG

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat