cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I unlock iPhone 7 second hand no owner info?

Go to solution
Journeyman

Can I unlock iPhone 7 second hand no owner info?

My wife got an iPhone 7 from a family friend who gave it to her because he got a new one, he's 70 years old and we don't have idea how he got it from, because he said he been using the phone for months with his carrier (that isn't Sprint).
We want to unlock the phone but we don't have idea if the phone is on delinquent account or if is payoff because we don't know the old owner I check the IMEI and come clean, not blacklisted or something like that.

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Social Care

Re: Can I unlock iPhone 7 second hand no owner info?

Hello jjhonnz!

Please know that, according to our policies, before Sprint can unlock a phone it must meet all of these conditions:

•The device is SIM Unlock capable
•The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
•Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
•The associated account is in good standing
•The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
•If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number.

However, if this is not a Sprint phone we wouldn't be able to unlock it either. The carrier from whom the device was bought would need to help with that.

To learn more about unlocking a device:

Sprint's Unlock Policy

Hints for Successful Unlocks

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Amazingly fast, thank you for the answer, the phone can't take any sim card that I put on it, I tried at least 4.

The only one who takes and give me signal is Sprint.

Sprint Social Care

I see.

In any case, for us to review the status of the phone and its unlock eligibility you would need to provide the info I mentioned above along with the IMEI: either the account number or the account holder's name last associated with the device.

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So basically if I don't know who was the owner I can not unlock the phone?
Because that is my case the only thing I have is the IMEI.

Sprint Social Care

To verify the status of the device or proceed with unlocking it, we need to verify it meets the requirements by reviewing the information of the account in which it was last active.

For this, besides from the IMEI, we need either:

- Account holder's name

- Account number

OR

- Phone number last associated, account holder's name and security PIN.

If you'd be able to retrieve this information, feel free to send me a private message. Just click on my name and then on the yellow Send a message button. I would be more than glad to look into unlocking the phone.

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I have the same problem and I can not retrieve the information nor about previous holder, nor about his account or the  phone number last associated, either a security PIN... Only IMEI... Does it mean that the iPhone 7 I have is useless? Because I can not use it anymore...? Is this some other way to pay for plan for some time and after it unlock the phone? 

Journeyman

That's a solution that I wanted to know too.

it's a brand new iPhone 7, just got it and I can't use it like a real phone just like an iPod, I can't really know the information because I don't know where it came from.

I know Sprint have to do this procedure for security purposes, but there's people who actually need it.

Sprint Social Care

Hello guys,

In order for us to properly assist with the device unlock request, we need the information of the account last associated with the device. We advise you to go back to the point of sale and gather the information need it to continue with your request. 

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

@Sprint_Mayorin 

Thank you for your answer but the situation here it's the same some people have, the problem is can't retrieve the information about previous holder or the account either the last phone number. I just have a phone a family friend gave me without he knowing either the info.

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Your concerns are well understood jjhonnz, however, without this information, at least the account name last associated with the device you're trying to unlock, we won't be able to process the unlock request.

We recommend you to get in contact with the person who gave you the phone, in order for him/her to provide you with the information needed.

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you! It was helpful.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat