cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you buy AppleCare later?

Go to solution
Journeyman

So my mom bought her first iPhone 4s last week, but she didn't buy AppleCare I thought you had time to make that decision. Is there any way she can buy apple care after buying the phone? I'm heaing all kind of yes & no. help Smiley Sad

12 REPLIES 12
Master

Contact Apple at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Hope this helps

Abe

Journeyman

Sprint was telling us other wise , & i personally went to my local apple store & they told me flat out NO. I guess i was talking to the right people.. I hope I can stil purchase it.

Journeyman

You can if you bought your iPhone before November 14th. It is not like old AppleCare (which did not cover customer damage) where you could purchase it any time as long as the warranty is not up.

Source: http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy  it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you  purchase your new iPhone.

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:

• Pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) or iPhone 4S
  • Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)
Journeyman

Normally, you HAVE to buy AppleCare+ at time of activation or when you purchase the phone because AppleCare+ includes two "damage" replacement occurences ($49 each time).  If Apple allowed you to purchase it anytime during the 1 year warranty period, then the program would be abused by folks waiting until they ran over their iPhone with their truck and then purchasing the AppleCare+ to get it replaced, etc.

You can purchase the standard AppleCare (NOT Plus +) anytime during the first year as it doesn't have accidental damage coverage.  I'm pretty sure this is correct, but to be sure you might want to call Apple.  If you call Sprint, most of the reps DO NOT seem to understand that their are TWO plans, the AppleCare+ and the standard AppleCare.  My understanding from Apple is that BOTH are available for the iPhone 4S.

Due to all the confusion, Apple and Sprint are allowing folks who pre-ordered their iPhones an extension until Nov 14th to purchase the AppleCare+.

Journeyman

The answer is YES, you have until Nov 4th to purchase apple care plus!  You need to go to apples website, to purchase, or IF YOU WANT you can purchase it via sprint via your account, and it will be billed on your bill in like the amount of 101.98 .... And then you have Apple Care Plus... Which I suggest you get.

Journeyman

Actually its Nov 14th.. that is the cut off date.

Journeyman

this information you are giving is inorrecr. if there was a pre order its until november 14 otherwise it can not be added. apple is very strict with this policy.

Journeyman

Re: Can you buy AppleCare later?

Give squaretrade.com a look. They offer a plan for $99 that covers every and anything for 2 years with a $50 deductible per claim. You can buy it up to 30 days after you buy the phone unlike Apple's + plan. I've known people that have bought warranties through them with nothing but good things to say. I believe you send it to them with up to a 5 day turnaround time (overnight shipping is included both ways). You also have the option to take it to the Genius Bar and they will reimburse the cost of repair or replacement. If the phone needs replaced you'll be waiting longer either way since they're not readily available right now.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing24

Journeyman

if you pre ordered the phone anywhere you haven until nov 14th to buy apple care + all you ahve to do is call apple and give the serial number for your iphone and it will pull up all your info and when you purchased.

Journeyman

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Hope this helps

Lew76

Journeyman

Here are some interesting notes--straight from the source (AppleCare Protect Plan/AppleCare+; http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html)

"Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment"

See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details.

You have 1 month from the purchase of an iPhone to up the warranty if done through Apple.  Sprint has zero control and does not offer its TEP on the device as a result. 

No idea how refurbs are handled.

--NA

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat