cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Connection error IPhone 6

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data Connection error IPhone 6

I have been dealing without a data connection on my IPhone 6 since December 23,2017. I have called the service representatives and gone into the sprint store twice without getting this issue resolved. I hope this community can help trouble shoot(Thank you in advance).  

Here is what we have done: 

- SIM card Switch x 3 

- Normal troubleshooting with network resetting. 

- Have entered all of the “##” codes known to man. 

- Removed and added the phone to the plan again. 

- Checked the plan and no issues have been found

Issue that the phone is having: 

- When trying to use Web Browser or apps an error pops up stating,  “Cannot Activate Cellular Data Network. Turn on WiFi or cellular data or access.” Or “Cannot Activate Cellular Data Network. You are not subscribed to a data service.” 

Services that are working: 

- Text SMS 

- Calls 

- I can use the phone as a hotspot and tether another phone or laptop without issue. Which in my mind doesn’t make since if I don’t have Cellular Service on the web browser... 

The last word that I received from tech support/ customer respresitive was that the IPhone 6 wasn’t capable with the sprint towers... 

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated in efforts to end this 30 day hampster wheel of typing in “##” codes and changing SIM Cards. 

7 REPLIES 7
GrandMaster

Re: Data Connection error IPhone 6

is there anyone else around you with a Sprint phone that is seeing this as well or just you? and do you get a signal back at any point while travelling around or its always giving this error? and is there by chance an Apple store anywhere near you?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have three other phones that are currently under the same plan with Sprint. None of which are having this issue. It seems to be isolated to this one phone. 

It is the same error everytime no matter where we are in the network area. 

GrandMaster

ok so that points right at the device itself. as much as i hate to even bring it up..has it been factory reset? also was this a device purchased from Sprint or was this from another carrier and brought to Sprint?

actually now that im thinking about it the iphone6 isnt limited to a specific carrier even if it was brought in from another carrier anyways so i dont think that can be it.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I solved this on my own today after many hours in online chat, phone calls, and even a visit to the store.  I recently ported this number from H2O wireless and couldn't get data to work from the moment I ported the number.  But the hotspot worked and I was beside myself, as was everyone else trying to help me.  

Short answer: Go to Settings, General, and then look at the line below VPN.  There should be no Profile listed.  In fact, it should go to Regulatory.  If the profile line is listed, go into the profile and delete it.  Wait a beat for things to catch up.  Then go back out and dial ##UPDATE# (##873283#) and wait for settings to get updated.  If you have LTE in your area, it should come up.  Data should work just fine.  Hotspot should work just fine.

One piece of advice I've received is to do a full reset on the phone. The reason this works is because the profile gets wiped at the same time.  Swapping the SIM didn't work because once the SIM communicates its serial number to Sprint, its job is basically over.  The reason the hotspot worked is because the profile from H2O wireless didn't allow me to use hotspot, and no settings were provided for how to do that service.  For those with a science mindset, the profile *masked* the Sprint settings which are buried someplace we can't see them.  Anything the profile doesn't set is allowed to work.

One other symptom I got was that my iPhone 6 was capped at 3G while an iPhone 6S I ported at the same time got to LTE.  Both were allowed to use hotspot.  

This problem was not caused by Sprint and it isn't necessarily Sprint's fault that H2O still had hooks into the phone.  Still, I don't think that they are doing enough data mining on their tickets to find patterns like "Everyone who ports from H2O wireless has data problems until they reset their phone."  Which would be something, but could also be a reason to investigate what is really going on.  My fix above took two minutes, once I knew what to do.

This was an indication to me that Sprint techs aren't necessarily as versed in iPhones as much as they should be.  I'm not saying that they need personal expertise, but the knowledge base articles they use should have had something like this included.  Better yet, when I was porting the number, I should have been given some steps to follow like this.  Hopefully this text gets into their knowledge base.

GrandMaster

i would think a network reset would also work since it will wipe all that info and force the phone to re search all the network info.

Journeyman

Alas.  Resetting network settings happened early in the debugging process and had no effect.  Other than wiping out all of my WiFi passwords...

A full device reset only works because the profile isn't restored afterword.

Journeyman

You also forgot that in effort to resolve the issue, they even replaced the phone. The phone was also a newer generation of my old one, an iPhone 6+. They sent me the iPhone 6s+. The issue is still unresolved. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat