Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speed so bad - is this it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data speed so bad - is this it?

For the first time I needed to RELY on the iphone being used long term, away from wifi and a charging outlet.

Was out with someone on AT&T also a iphone 4s.

At one point, standing next to each other, we both downloaded the same app. Took him less than a minute, over 10 minutes for me.

He had one dropped call, I couldnt connect 4 calls!

He had easy access on Safari to multiple websites. I tried, and waited, then waited some more and got access.

And finally, we both left the car with phones charged to 100%, mine was down to 86% at the end of 45 minutes, his was down to 94%.

Speedtest results for me of...... 0.07 down and 0.02 up.

Chat support "remote reset" me, I call BS as I'm not seeing any improved service.

Unhappy.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am aware of both of these issues as well, I do not know what is being done about the network speed, but the battery drain issue is supposed to be fixed when they release iOS version 5.0.2 which is to come out either this week or next week. As far as the remote reset it sounds like the just refresehed the network on your phone which really doesnt do anything as I have tried it myself, and you can too by dialing ##873283# and call, my average 3G network speed is .35 mbps down and .2 up which is nowhere near the speed that 3G is supposed to be I would try complaining to Sprint by calling them or emailing them, get enough people to complain about it and they will fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Doesn't seem fixable. It's a bad situation

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would check out www.network.sprint.com and see what updates they are doing where you are.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Already been upgraded apparently, if this is the speed with the upgrade then there is no hope

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eventually Sprint will update their towers to give better speed and/or Apple will release an iOS update that will allow for better speeds, so unless you want to wait for an unlock or plan to jailbreak your iPhone then make sure you keep it up to date with itunes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmm - had to chime in here. The operating system on the iPhone (IOS5) is currently giving most people slight to severe battery problems. Thats very true. But the IOS has NOTHING to do with the fact that Sprint is horrendously slow. On every other carrier (AT&T, as indicated in the op, for instance) the data speeds are fine. This is a sprint issue.

Now, there has been some slight speculation that Apple AND Sprint are working together for a solution - but I tend to doubt Apple can do much. I will spare you the listing of facts to support my qualifications to make the statement that "the IOS has NOTHING to do with the fact that Sprint is horrendously slow" - and simply point out again:

EVERY OTHER CARRIER IS EXPERIENCING GREAT DOWNLOAD SPEEDS WITH THE IPHONE! AT&T was listed in the op as having great speeds. I came from Verizon, they had FANTASTIC download speeds. Check the web. This is a Sprint problem!

What makes it worse is that I am convinced that Sprint employees are straight out lying to people when asked about this. Read the internet - this is a nationwide issue that is VERY wide spread and VERY much posted about -by "tech sites" and regular users. When I go into an actual store in my area - they say "everything is fine in our area" - sometimes they even check the computer before they recite their line (lol). But when I called this evening and pressed the issue, the first tech repeated the "party line" but the higher level person told me my area had a 3g outage. I live in a fairly large and well developed area not far from Los Angeles... so I asked "You're saying you have had an outage in a 40+ square mile area for over a month now and NO ONE in your stores knows ANYTHING about this????" and she simply said "yes." I think she even did it with a straight face!

Sprint has the "unlimited data" thing going for them... but I dont think it's fair to charge me "premium data" charges when I cant even get average data! I have been with them for about a month, but I am thinkin of jumping ship!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good luck jumping ship, they suckered you past your 14 day return (oh you didnt know?  They changed from 30 days to 14 probably so they could make sure you stay) and now its $350 and they deny that there are any issues.  I finally got them to waive the ETF, but I have a family plan and it still would be $1k to cancel.  We need to make this huge and public.  They are charging $10 for "unlimited internet" when in fact their service has turned their top of the line phone into a feature phone that works only in Wifi HotSpots or anywhere there ISNT a city.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I paid my ETF to jump ship and sold my phone.  I would rather loose a couple hundred then to continue giving Sprint anymore money for a barely usable service.  Let the data hogs have their unlimited data.  Sprint will continue to loose long time customers and gain nothing but data hogs who will also then leave Sprint as soon as Sprint starts capping data like they did with their mobile broadband services.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been having network issues since i first opened my new line. At first I believed it was the phone and the Sprint reps told a very convincing story about the Sanyo Zio. I then looked into the Zio to see what the reviews a little more good than bad. Then i switched to the HTC Evo Shift (a higher quality phone) and had the "EXACT" same problem and sprint sat on their indian outsourced asses and did nothing. Ive had this line for 6 months and its the worst ever. Oh and get this i replaced my evo with another and my contacts werent syncing, and this is what the sprint rep had to say verbatim: "Well sir right now we are experiancing a provisioning outtage so contacts cant be pulled off your sd card." Now I dont know if anybody knows but (to put in lamens terms) just because i cant access the internet doesnt mean i cant access my SD card. Thats like saying i cant turn on my car because my seat belt is cut. Sprint has uneducated workers getting paid to turn their backs on a known and on going issue. Whats even worse is that sprint decided to also change their account charging deal. So get this lets say its the beginning of your new job and omfg your phone kicks the tech bucket. Well if you have insurance thats fantastic however due to Sprint changing their charge policy no cash means no phone. Thanks Sprint for making us pay our bills on a phone we cant use how friendly is that eh? Oh they changed this sometime back in October and theyre just now telling us i call BS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is pretty bad, I'm too experiancing very low speed on both of my iPhone 4s's

Is there a way to let Sprint know how many people are suffering from this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is just disgraceful - my current speed test:

0.06mbps down

It doesn't help for me to tell Customer Services, they are very polite, very nice - but this is not helping my speed. This is a top phone with a barely working data service.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat