cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early upgrade fee

Highlighted
Journeyman

Early upgrade fee

I'm really confused by this early upgrade fee. My current plan with Sprint costs about $40/month right now. I want to upgrade my phone to an iphone 5, in which case I'll need to up my plan to at least $80/ month. But I refuse to pay an "early upgrade fee" on principle. Why should I pay a fee so that I can then also pay more per month and spend $200 on a new phone. So sprint wants me to wait until April to upgrade my phone and service, costing them approx. $360. This makes no sense. I've been with sprint for 8+ years now, and i think it's time to move on. this is stupid.

Tmobile doesn't charge an upgrade fee, and their monthly charge for an iphone 5 is $50 instead of sprints $80.

Tags (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: Early upgrade fee

I second your argument.  I'm 60 days away from two upgrades and they want me to pay $175 for an early upgrade for each line.  B.S.  Time to check out another carrier.

Wizard

BLACKDOORRED77,

Thanks for the post. I’d be happy to clear up and confusion you may have regarding the early upgrade program. If you are looking to upgrade to a smart phone such as the iPhone 5 it will require one of our data plans which may be an increase in monthly charges from what you are currently paying. If you would like you can compare the different plans options here www.sprint.com/plans and see how they stack up to our competitors. The early upgrade fee is calculated based on how many months are remaining till you are eligible for upgrade. Sprint allows customers to upgrade every 20 months to get new customer pricing on a phone. Let me know if you have any other questions.

AJ

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I'm not referring to upgrading from a non smart phone to a smartphone.  The two phones I am referring two are smartphones.  Under my account, it shows that I am eligible for an early upgrade but for an additional $175 fee per phone (my 2 year mark is Nov 1 (65 days 15 hours and 50 minutes)).  I understand the fee but I think its bad business to continue this practice, especially with loyal customers and other providers offering early upgrade options without the additional fees.

Journeyman

My upgrade I this Sunday Sept 1 and In was wondering how much the IPhone 4s will be on that day?

Journeyman

I Agree 100% with you. I also want to upgrade to a new phone because my phone got stolen but my upgrade isn't until december. They want me to pay 150 as an early upgrade fee plus the price of the phone which would be around 200 which i don't find fair at all because i'm paying 90$ for a plan already. I'm currently paying for a phone that i don't have. They gave me an option to buy a pre-owned phone, but it makes no sense to buy a phone for such an expensive price that I will only be using for three months. All i want is to go from smartphone to smartphone, i don't want to pay so much money for an early upgrade or downgrade to one of those pre-owned phones. I'm really getting tired of this. If they don't fix this I'm going to be switching companies as soon as my contract time is up.

Wizard

lilmissdeb,

Our early upgrade works differently from other carriers. The other companies do, in fact, charge additional fees and you must be approved to participate. They charge a monthly fee for participating in the early upgrade program, they charge you the full retail cost of the phone in monthly installments, and they require you to trade in your previous phone in good condition and forfeit any payments you've made towards it. Sprint's program is upfront and saves your overall. In addition, you may utilize our buyback program to trade in your phone to help reduce costs.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

lazr37,

The iPhone 4S is currently $99.99 when upgrading. I'm unsure if there will be any upcoming promotions. You may also want to check with 3rd party Sprint sellers such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, Amazon, etc...for any additional promotions they may have.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

Selito,

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your phone. Aside from filing an insurance claim, the early upgrade option is a reasonable choice at this time. The $90 that you pay is for the wireless service that we provide; the cost of the phones are separate. We don't produce the phones so we must purchase them at full retail. $150 + $200 would be a total of $350 that you would pay for a top of the line phone which retails for over $600. We do offer refurbished smartphones for around $100 and that is another alternative.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

There must be a way so i don't have to  pay the upgrade fee. 350 is way too much to be paying for a phone on top of my current bills. And i could easily go for one of those so called "options"/pre-owned phones. But why waste money on something that won't be up to level with the device i previously had. Please give me something here, who can i talk to about this?. It's going to be almost a week without a phone. Funny thing is that i need my phone for work and if i don't work i don't get pay. Which means sprint doesn't get their money. i refuse to pay those 150 for an early upgrade. There must be some sort of discount.

Wizard

Selito,

I understand having a phone go missing is a tough situation. Unfortunately there's going to be a cost to replacing a device, especially if you're wanting a high-end model. The $150 is charged to your next bill so that it's not all upfront. There is a discount and it's within the upgrade pricing but to accelerate your upgrade date there is a cost since you have not been with us long enough to work off the cost of the previous discounted device we provided.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Selito,

Thank you very much for posting.

I am very sorry that this happened to you.

Those are currently the best, low cost options that we have currently.

1. UPGRADE NOW $150

2. Preowned phone www.sprint.com/preowned

3. TEP (insurance claim)

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat