cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in unlocking iPhone 4s for use on other carriers.

Journeyman

Re: Help in unlocking iPhone 4s for use on other carriers.

Sprintcare,

Per the newly signed and passed "Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act" by the president

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/08/01/answering-publics-call

Which states, and I quote

"The bill not only restores the rights of consumers to unlock their phones, but ensures that they can receive help doing so if they lack the technological savvy to unlock on their own."

You MUST provide a process on how to unlock the iphone 4s to another carrier like T-mobile, or Verizon. If you refuse, you are breaking the law and I will find resolution for this.

I have been fighting this problem for SEVERAL months, and I have two phones that are locked to sprint and are completely useless since I've left sprint.

Per the LAW, you must UNLOCK the phone and PROVIDE INSTRUCTION.

There is NO INSTRUCTION ON YOUR WEBSITE

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Sprint tries to give you this 6 digit MSL code, which they say will unlock the phone - but the iPhone does not accept this code, and there is nowhere to enter it. They tell you that your new carrier will know what to do, but your new carrier won’t know.

So what is the process, if the MSL code does not work for iPhones why are you giving it as a solution?

What is the real process to unlock an iPhone and why are you tricking customers?

As per the newly signed bill, you MUST provide a way to unlock the phone and show people how to do it.

Giving a code that doesn’t help them is not a solution. I want a supervisor to reply to this message.

==

Today, President Obama will sign into law the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act

Journeyman

Sprintcare,

Per the newly signed and passed "Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act" by the president

Which states, and I quote

"The bill not only restores the rights of consumers to unlock their phones, but ensures that they can receive help doing so if they lack the technological savvy to unlock on their own."

You MUST provide a process on how to unlock the iphone 4s to another carrier like T-mobile, or Verizon. If you refuse, you are breaking the law and I will find resolution for this.

I have been fighting this problem for SEVERAL months, and I have two phones that are locked to sprint and are completely useless since I've left sprint.

Per the LAW, you must UNLOCK the phone and PROVIDE INSTRUCTION.

There is NO INSTRUCTION ON YOUR WEBSITE

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Sprint tries to give you this 6 digit MSL code, which they say will unlock the phone - but the iPhone does not accept this code, and there is nowhere to enter it. They tell you that your new carrier will know what to do, but your new carrier won’t know.

So what is the process, if the MSL code does not work for iPhones why are you giving it as a solution?

What is the real process to unlock an iPhone and why are you tricking customers?

As per the newly signed bill, you MUST provide a way to unlock the phone and show people how to do it.

Giving a code that doesn’t help them is not a solution. I want a supervisor to reply to this message.

==

Today, President Obama will sign into law the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act

Master

kfhkdjfhkj:

Due to restrictions on the Apple servers, Sprint iPhones cannot be unlocked for use on a domestic carriers service. Unfortunately, Sprint cannot force Apple to change their service servers. Until such time as that change is made, Sprint iPhones will not be able to be unlocked for use on other carriers.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Master

kfhkdjfhkj:

Due to restrictions on the Apple servers, Sprint iPhones cannot be unlocked for use on a domestic carriers service. Unfortunately, Sprint cannot force Apple to change their service servers. Until such time as that change is made, Sprint iPhones will not be able to be unlocked for use on other carriers.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

If you read thru all the strings on the unlock of a Sprint iPhone, you will find that Sprint will not do it for domestic use. We got tired of waiting and talking to their service people, so I took our two iPhone 4S's to  Ting - mobile that makes sense , a Sprint reseller recently and have cut our bill from $150/month to around $50. Still on Sprint circuits, but unless we go nuts with data or international calls, we should save a bundle each month. You can tether devices on them too, if you can stand the slow 3G speeds.

So for now anyway, we are immune to all the misinformation from Sprint Care. They know what I mean, now we will wait them out and maybe at the end of it the 4S phones we own will be released from hostage, as is only fair, since we paid full price for them over the 2 year contract.

Master

Thank you for posting. Please review our unlocking policy. ​http://bit.ly/O7qKfK - Kenneisha
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Sarah,

I dont think you are right. I was provided with a 6 digit MSL code and hence when you say that iphones are not provided MSL codes who should I believe? Sarah or some representative I spoke to?

Also, when I asked the rep what do I do with the code, he tells me walk into att or verizon store and they would know what to do with this code.

Master

kkj3- I do apologize Sprint-branded iPhones have been manufactured in a way that prevents them from being unlocked to allow the device to activate on a different carrier's network in the United States. This is because, prior to the development of the voluntary commitment contained in within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment") carriers were not required to, and many carriers did not, develop their devices to be capable of being unlocked. This can also be found on www.sprint.com/unlock- Steph
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I just got off a 60 minute phone call which was a huge waste of time.  After 4 transfers nothing was achieved except frustration.  I have 3 iPhone 4's and 1 iPhone 4S.  I called to get them unlocked but was told that Sprint iPhones are designed differently than other carrier iPhones.  And, that Sprint cannot request Apple to unlock any of the iPhone models domestically.  They did tell me that the iPhone 4S could be unlocked internationally, however not domestically.

Then they grilled me with the most questions I've received from any vendor before being able to provide me with further help.  Literally, 7 or more account or security questions.  Once I passed these hurdles, I was told by the rep that there were no iPhone 4S' on my account.  Obviously, I informed her that I surely do have an iPhone 4S because it's sitting in front of me and I'm looking at it.  She less than politely told me that she couldn't do anything about it because in their system it shows as an iPhone 4, NOT an 4S.  I then asked for a supervisor.

Supervisor comes on and asks me what I'm trying to do and I'm thinking that they're just trying to wear me down.  She then asks me... actually, tells me... "are you sure that you have an iPhone 4S?".  I was about to go al Qaeda on her.  I said of course I do.  She actually asked me to pull the phone out of the box and see if it had a slot on the side.  YES, IT DOES!!  then, she says, "oh, the system now shows that it is a 4S.  The previous technical support rep made a mistake".    REALLY??? You've got to be kidding me?  So, then she acts as though she's going to give me my ever elusive international unlock code.  But oh no... the next and final hurdle.   "Sir, your contract was cancelled more than 45 days ago.  I cannot unlock your phone since you're outside of that time frame."   WTH??!  "my tool doesn't allow me to unlock it once it's past 45 days.  it's not that I don't want to.  I just don't have the tools."  We bickered back and forth for a few more minutes about why other companies allow/support this and why Sprint doesn't.  She tells me that she's been doing this for 6 years and knows what she's talking about.

Talk about blatant disregard for taking care of customers who have been in good standing, paid bills on time and hardly ever complained.  But when the carrier's network performance or pricing does not work for you anymore... why would that carrier setup so many roadblocks to help their consumers, present or past, try to realize the value of their phones??  I will be sharing this story with my network.  This is only the first post.  Shame on your Sprint.

Master

shoguntx

We do apologize for the inconvenience you have faced. I know this can be very frustrating not getting the resolution you expect. We do value our customers and strive to provide the best customer service possible. Although we try our uttermost best to retain our customers, we still respect whatever decisions they make. We do not set roadblocks. Here I attached a link about our unlock policy. http://bit.ly/O7qKfK.

- Michelle
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

If you read thru all the strings on the unlock of an iPhone 4s, you will find that Sprint will not do it for domestic use. We got tired of waiting and talking to their service people, so I took our two iPhone 4S's to  Ting - mobile that makes sense , a Sprint reseller recently and have cut our bill from $150/month to around $50. Still on Sprint circuits, but unless we go nuts with data or international calls, we should save a bundle each month. You can tether devices on them too, if you can stand the slow 3G speeds.

So for now anyway, we are immune to all the misinformation from Sprint Care. They know what I mean, now we will wait them out and maybe at the end of it the 4S phones we own will be released from hostage, as is only fair, since we paid full price for them over the 2 year contract.

Master

Bob6590

We hate to lose a loyal customer. If you have any more questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Shantoya
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat