cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in unlocking iPhone 4s for use on other carriers.

Journeyman

Re: Help in unlocking iPhone 4s for use on other carriers.

There is a way out of the unlock problems at a  better price too. We got tired of talking to their service people, so I took our two iPhone 4S's to  Ting - mobile that makes sense , a Sprint reseller recently. We have cut our bill from $150/month to around $50. Still on Sprint circuits, but unless we go nuts with data or international calls, we should save a bundle each month. You can tether devices on them too, if you can stand the slow 3G speeds.

So for now anyway, we are immune to all the unlocking misinformation from Sprint Care. They know what I mean, now we will wait them out and maybe at the end of it the iPhones we own will be released from hostage, as is only fair, since we paid full price for them over the 2 year contract.

Journeyman

Sprint will not unlock any off contract iphone for whatever. Only unlock current in service iphone for international use after 90 days.

Master

sdnk2001,

Sorry to hear that you left us. Hope you will reconsider us in the future. We are always striving to improve our service to meet the needs of our customers.

- Michelle
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

H.R.1123 - Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act.  Signed by Barak Obama. 

Master

Hello Shaulbrook,

The device unlock is solely for the use of a third-party SIM to be inserted into the device while traveling outside the United States.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

No it doesn't.  All the carriers have been unlocking for international travel for years.  The verbage below, from HR1123, which was passed on 8/1/14, mentions nothing about unlocking for international use.

Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act - Repeals a Library of Congress (LOC) rulemaking determination, made upon the recommendation of the Register of Copyrights, regarding the circumvention of technological measures controlling access to copyrighted software on wireless telephone handsets (mobile telephones) for the purpose of connecting to different wireless telecommunications networks (a practice commonly referred to as "unlocking" such devices). Reestablishes, as an exemption to provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) prohibiting such circumvention, a previous LOC rule permitting the use of computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of such computer program solely to connect to such a network and access to the network is authorized by the network operator, thus permitting unlocked phones.

Directs the Librarian of Congress, upon the recommendation of the Register, to determine whether to extend such exemption to include any other category of wireless devices in addition to wireless telephone handsets (e.g., tablets and other mobile broadband-enabled devices).

Allows such circumvention (unlocking) to be initiated by the owner of such a device, by another person at the direction of the owner, or by a provider of a commercial mobile radio service or a commercial mobile data service at the direction of such owner or other person, solely in order to enable such owner or a family member of such owner to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when such connection is authorized by the operator of such network. Prohibits such owner-directed unlocking from being construed to: (1) permit the unlocking of devices for the purpose of bulk resale, or (2) authorize the Librarian to authorize circumvention for such purpose.

Journeyman

And furthermore (http://infojustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/band08042014-2.pdf)

This document explains in detail the law as it was passed and by congress and signed by President Obama on August 1st, 2014.  And I quote; "As long as their phone is compatible and they have complied with their contracts, consumers will now be able to enjoy the freedom of taking their mobile service – and a phone they already own – to the carrier that best

fits their needs. At a time when partisan gridlock all too often threatens

progress on everyday issues that matter to consumers, working together

we listened to your voices, and the American people benefited as a result."

Highlighted
Journeyman

All that law, which you can find a copy of by Googling

Pub.L. 113-144

does is restore the right to unlock phones that was restricted by the Library of Congress.  No where is there anything that say carriers need to unlock phones.

Sprint does not unlock phones for domestic use, they have said so repeatedly on these strings.  Any Sprint rep want to tell us they DO UNLOCK domestically, please do so here for all of to see in black and white___________________

B

Master

Shaulbrook, Hey there! Here is our policy on unlocking devices, http://bit.ly/1ejl4qc. Reach out with questions if needed! - Justin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I would like to announce in this forum that I am a newly highly dissatisfied Sprint Customer!!! After wasting almost an entire day trying to unlock my iPhone 4S (as I was given the wrong information by Sprint's Customer support which does not know their own bad policies), it appears that it is not possible to unlock my phone!!! This unlocking policy in highly unfair and harmful to its customers.  If I would have known that it would not have been possible to use my phone with any other service provider after the contract period had ended, I would have never signed the 2 year contract with Sprint!!!! Their Customer Service reps have also been incredibly lacking in knowledge, unhelpful and showing almost zero lack of care and respect for their long term customers!!!!!! I no longer trust this company for anything!!!!!

Master

AnnaEnergy We're sorry you feel this way. Customer service is one of our main priorities and we wouldn't willingly disappoint a customer. We appreciate your business and wouldn't want to lose you as a customer. Please visit http://bit.ly/O7qKfK - Christopher S.
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

A link to your unfair policies after the fact does not help me now!! This policy should have been clearly explained to me when I signed up to the original 2-year contract. I basically paid a high price for a phone that could only be used with Sprint and therefore belongs to Sprint!!!  If you really don't want to loose good customers, your Customer Service Reps should acknowledge your bad policies and inform customers of how they will make things right again!! Rather than continue to give misinformation and waste your customers' time. I have officially filed a complaint with the FCC!!! If you don't want to be regulated and want customers to trust you, you should have fair policies in place!!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat