cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought an iPhone 6 off eBay thinking that "clean ESN" meant unlocked. It's not. Need help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought an iPhone 6 off eBay thinking that "clean ESN" meant unlocked. It's not. Need help.

It's just that simple. Or perhaps it isn't.

I bought a used Sprint iPhone 6 on eBay with an advertised clean ESN, thinking it was unlocked, and it isn't.  The seller takes no returns.  I contacted the seller but have gotten no help in unlocking the phone. I am hoping that I can pay Sprint a fee to have it unlocked.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: I bought an iPhone 6 off eBay thinking that "clean ESN" meant unlocked. It's not. Need

Hey @MrDIY, ff you're in contact with the seller and they either are or can provide the original account holder's name, we may be able to assist.  From our FAQs about Unlocking:

I am a former Sprint customer or was never a Sprint customer but have purchased a Sprint device from a third party other than Sprint. Can I have the device unlocked or receive the MSL code?

• For individual owners who can provide the account number or full account name last associated with the device, Sprint may be able to unlock the device or provide the applicable MSL Code respectively, provided the device is eligible under the applicable unlock policy. If a device is not eligible for any reason under the respective applicable policy, a non-Sprint customer requestor may be required to work with the original purchaser and/or the person from whom the requestor purchased the device to ensure any financial or device eligibility criteria are met.
  • Customers are strongly encouraged to contact Sprint about a device's unlock eligibility before purchasing through a non-Sprint channel as Sprint cannot share any information regarding the previous account.

If you are able to get the information, let us know.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I bought an iPhone 6 off eBay thinking that "clean ESN" meant unlocked. It's not. Need

Dear SeaWolf,

By contacted, I meant that I tried to contact the seller by message thru eBay, but have gotten no reply.

The iPhone 6 does power on and give me access to the information screen with all of its numbers, and it has a sim card stuck in it as well that I can read numbers off of, if that is helpful.  I read your policy, but didn't understand all of the technical requirements.  Could the last owner be traced thru the old sim? 

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat