cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain why $10 dollars more a month for Iphone.......

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please explain why $10 dollars more a month for Iphone.......

The iphone does not use 4G network, so why the extra monthly fee?

Also, why if i'm upgrading my current phone do i get charged a $32 connection fee. I'm allready a customer!!!!!

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Journeyman

If you upgrade to any smartphone now you will have to pay the $10 fee, it's no longer only for 4G phones. So unless you keep using the Pre or downgrade, you're going to have to suck it up eventually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not true cause I have the Sero plan! All 3G smart phones on my plan except the iPhone are exempt from the $10 fee! Now all the 4G phones, on my plan, will require that $10 fee! My Pre is the second Pre on my account (no $10 fee)! A month ago I bought a Samsung Transform and activated it on my account (still no $10 fee)! Now if I upgrade next month to a LG Maquee (3G phone) Sprint will not charge me the extra $10 fee when I call Employee Accounts to activate it but if I buy a iPhone or a 4G phone I will get the $10 charge! Most Sprint employees don't know about Sero plans so they would mistakenly charge me the $10 fee so I always call the proper number when I want to activate a phone on my account! All smartphones on Everything Plans get the $10 fee charge! Case closed! Do I really want a iPhone and pay the $10 fee for 3G performance? It's a dilemma because I don't get 4G where I live but I like the size of the iPhone! On the other hand I really like the Photon 4G too and 4G reception is coming sooner or later where I live! I think with the Photon I will get more bang for the buck because I can get it for $99 and it's a world phone too!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope all of you discussed employee discounts with Sprint or any other carrier you decide to use.  A great discount cuts down the overall monthly cost dramatically.  If you failed to bring this up with Sprint...I would give them a call.  This could easily put the 10 dollar monthly cost behind ya and you will feel great about your plan.  I have a 25% discount for unlimited data, text and the whole nine yards.  I just left verizon and  a single line phone with 4g would have cost me 180 monthly.  I now pay less than 75 with Sprint.

High speed phones or not...They all appear fast to me.  Not willing to pay close to 200 montly for a phone that may go a second faster.  There are other things in the world to buy with the additional money.  Just my opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I like my Sero plan cause I only pay $48/month and I have all the needed services! No iphone for me I'll stick to other 3G phones for now until the LTE 4G system comes out on Sprint. I'll upgrade next month to a Samsung Transform Ultra instead of a iPhone and keep that $10 data charge at bay for now! I love my Palm Pre that I'm using now and I'll keep it as a spare!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 4G charge (better known now as the smart phone or data fee) has been in place for over a year long before Sprint probably even knew they had the iPhone coming. It was active on my plan when I bought the EVO at launch and has been active on all smart phones since Feb 1. If you were not charged on your SERO plan well then consider yourself lucky. If you think you can get cheaper rates go elsewhere and start complaining about them. Sick of all these Sprint is ripping me off posts. I you don't like the deal Sprint will give you, move on and quit complaining!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

All I can tell you is Verizon wants 30 bucks for DATA!  I'm taking the 10bucks with my discount and sleeping well at night.  There are some people out there right now with the FASTEST PHONE on the market.  4g lte and all that stuff but are paying in excess of 200 dollars monthly.  Personally...I just can't see being that invested monthly in a phone.  Especially when everything else in the world is increasing in prices.  It seems the only thing that does not keep up with inflation is RAISES.   And that 30 bucks is not UNLIMITED by no means!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im actually replying using my iphone4. Seems to be working out well.  To tell the truth... There are many features I

Missing out on using the iPhone at 3G speed.  I wanted to stay with verizon but as stated....sprint has the best available contract for me.  The 10 dollars is not so bad. We don't have to have another app on our phone that tracks data use like many others......or wait to find hotspots.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now that Sprint has the iPhone I think AT@T customers as well Verizon customers are going to migrate to Sprint because it has the best deal on data plans! It's a no brainer because in this state of the economy, at least for me, no raises, and reduce reduce, more reductions and higher cost of living, it makes sinse to find the cheapest cell phone plan! I'm finding ways to reduce my expenses all the time! I ride my bike to work, put the cheapest gas in my car, getting rid of my AT&T land line and DSL for Sonic, etc. I agree that a $10 extra charge is not much compared to what other providers are charging!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me explain something to all the single guys that are just paying for one phone .  My complaint is, before i had no $10 data charge because it did not exist. Only the 4 G phones had it. Sprint decided not to GRANDFATHER their old customers, bad choice in my opinion, way to show how much you care for your loyal customers. also I have a FAMILY plan with 5 phones that is $50 dollars more a month. now that is not chump change. when you are the only provider in your family.

Highlighted
Master

The premium data charge  come about with the launch of the EVO due to the fact this Phone was going to be a high consumer of data all buy itself This was true of the Epic as well  it makes no difference if on  3G or 4G.  At the first of the year further study showed that the  Smart phones use about 10 times more data then feature phones and that there was an ever increasing number o f them.   At that point is was decide that if you upgrade to a smart phone they would all pay the premium data charge.   If you have a feature phone or a device that was on the account prior to about 1 Feb 2011 you were grandfathered for that device.  If you change to a new device the fee is added on  when the upgrade is activated.  At this time the Replenish of the android smart phones gets this fee waived. 

The premium data charge started in the summer of 2010 and was expanded to all smart phones Feb2011 This only happens if you change the device

Highlighted
Journeyman

The $10 fee really doesn't matter. Sprint charges it in addition to your voice and text plan. Verizon or AT&T charge for a plan, as well as texting and then $25 or $30 for 2GB of data. It's just a different way of billing and generally Sprint is going to be less expensive even when you take into account this $10 fee.

Verizon is more money for less minutes and no any mobile to any mobile and AT&T is the same money for only 700 minutes. Look at the whole package price, not just the fact that one carrier has a $10 fee and the other does not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This fee is not new and certainly did not just "pop up" because of the iPhone launch on Sprint.  This $10 fee has been in place since the HTC EVO 4G came out last year.  Every single smartphone that has been introduced after this has been subject to this fee, regardless of whether is 3G or 3G/4G.  Read people!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat