cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam / Prank calls to Sprint Iphones

Wizard

Re: Spam / Prank calls to Sprint Iphones

Spoofing numbers, TXT and emails has been going on in Apple products for years. They are security holes Apple has never bothered to fix even though they have always known about them.

The TXT spoof was reported again a couple week ago on Gizmodo and Engadget and Apple's response was it wasn't their fault it was ALL SMS code. Then they retracted it cause it was proven that NO other phone platform has this problem except Apple.

Take it for what you will but it's all there in a simple Google search.

Journeyman

I've been getting calls from "865-6696" and other illegitimate ph numbers over the last few weeks. They don't leave a voice mail. I just answered a call from 865-6696, and it sounded like a call center in the background. They disconnected after about 10 seconds without speaking to me. It's very annoying. I've also got an iPhone.

Journeyman

happening to me too when i got my iphone it started this its so f****** annoying

Journeyman

Hello everyone I found this form after trying to look up these numbers calling my iphone as well, no luck blocking them via the sprint site however I do have the app Youmail which is the hreatest by the way but it has a feature were you can add these 2 annoying numbers into your contacts and then turn on the ditching option I havent gotten a call from these numbers since I have added them but the fact that i could add them to the list being that they are not the typical 10 digits got me excited enough to share the news with you all. I will post back and let everyone know what the outcome

Journeyman

Ok sooooooooo did this actually work?

Journeyman

This is not a Sprint problem. It only happens with iPhones.

Read the above posts - you should not block these numbers.

The numbers are being displayed incorrectly by iPhone.

If you take the alphabetical equivalent of the numbers they spell out 7748283686237 (PRIVATENUMBER) or 8656696 (unknown).

So if you block them you will be blocking calls you may want to receive.

Not every call with the caller-id blocked is a spam call.

For example - my doctor has the caller-ids of the phones in his office blocked so patients in the office don't see them and call back on those numbers. Patients are only given the main switchboard numbers.

Register your complaints with Apple but they've known about the problem for over a year and haven't done anything.

I've had my iPhone for about 6 months and the problem just popped up recently.

Journeyman

I have the same 8656696 number calling me.. I have used the prefix 817 800 877 with this number to block it.  It doesn't work...  I'm switching my Iphone to an EVO.. I hate the Iphone... too many problems..  Sprint is not equipped to have the IPhone..or handle any issues that arrise with the Iphone. 

Journeyman

The numbers spell out UNKNOWN. It is a bill collector company usually. It can be anyone who has a caller id of UNKNOWN.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They must have changed this. I just tried it and there is no block call option.

Wizard

If you know the number you are trying to block, you can do so on Sprint.com. 

1. Sign in to My Sprint with valid username and password at www.sprint.com.  
  2. Click the My Preferences tab.  
  3. Under Limits and Permissions, click Block voice.  
  4. Select a phone to block.  
  5. Choose Block only the following phone numbers for inbound and outbound calls

6.  Enter a phone number to block in the field then click Add number. 

• The number will be added to the block list. 

Click Save to block voice access. 

• A Blocked icon will appear next to the phone that has blocked voice services.

8. Powercycle your device for the new settings to take effect.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B
Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.