cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Customer Service does not unlock my iPhone.

Journeyman

Sprint Customer Service does not unlock my iPhone.

Well, i left T-Mobile that i used for the past 5 years for the sake of iPhone 4S, and swhiched over to Sprint on December. Before i purchased the phone, i made sure at the store that i would be able to unlock the phone by calling the customer service right at the same day. I called the customer service in the same week, and was told that i would be able to unlock it after 6 months of usage. Since my international travel was on summer, i thought it's okay. I would wait 6 months. After 6 months, i called the sprint customer service again, and i was told that i had an account spending limit (even though i have my credit card information stored on my account for automatic payment) and can only unlock the iPhone 4S after 12 months of the service activation date. I was pissed. After 2 more months, i wanted to give another shot and called the customer service for the unlocking purposes. Can you believe what they say now? In order to unlock my phone, they have to remove the account spending limit, and for that, my account should have been opened at least 18 months since the activation date. Whenever i call the customer services regarding to the issue, they keep adding 6 more months. When i asked the customer service how they would make sure that customer service would not tell me they require at least 24 months for the removal of the account spending limit on my next call, they said there is no Guarante..

Well, i have experienced it. Enough is enough. I am writing this so no one else makes the same mistake i did switching to Sprint and considering using their iphone internationally with a local sim card. as my termination fee will be cheaper than the sprint international roaming fees, i am going to cancel it. And after speding hundreds of dollar, all i have is an iPhone 4S, that only works for Sprint. (Technically it's an iPod to me.)

Summary : DO NOT PURCHASE SPRINT IPHONE 4S IF YOU ARE NEW SPRINT CUSTOMER AND CONSIDERING UNLOCKING IT.

11 REPLIES 11
Master

Re: Sprint Customer Service does not unlock my iPhone.

I apologize that you were given incorrect information - If you have a spending limit account the criteria for it to change is as follows. Anyone who works for Sprint has access to this info and should have provided it to you.

ASL customers that meet the following criteria are automatically moved out of ASL status and allowed additional lines of service:  

• Account must be open for 18 months. 
  • Account cannot currently be past due. 
  • Account must show positive pay history over the previous 12 months (No more than 3 collections entries and no collection hotlines or suspensions).

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Apologizing does not resolve my issue. If the Sprint customer service provided me this information when i first called them in my first week, i would for sure cancel and return back my iPhone to the store. One thing i am sure now is that i will never have any of my friends use sprint. ( I am an international student advisor and each year i halp over 200 students for their needs in the US, that includes purchasing a phone line.)

Journeyman

I wish had read this before!!

Journeyman

SPRINT is a very big FRAUD. They did the same to me and God knows to how many more people. I was also told when purchasing the iPhone 4s that I can pay the ETF any time and get it unlocked. I was never told that I need to be on the service for atleast 18 months. This is just unethic on the part of sprint. I have left US and I can no longer use sprint service. So how the hell I am going to use my iPhone outside?? When I am ready to pay complete termination fee then why you bastards cannot unlock it??

Journeyman

I absolutely agree with Chirag. SPRINT is one huge FRAUD. Dont every think about buying a phone under their unlimited data slogan. They dont have any type of internet/4g  network (other than very few areas) I never had LTE access in Charlotte after I moved to IPhone 5 from the EVO or any kind of internet inspite of having unlimited data plan and Iphone 5 I went back to stone age absolutely no connectivity when I roamed from Charlotte all the way to Washington DC. Never saw a single LTE tower and using it for 2 months I thought Iphone 5 they have forgottent to put LTE. Sprint network is so worst to support Iphone 5.

Cursing me for my huge mistake went to Tmobile and took a S3 and paid the 350$ ETF to sprint under the hope that Sprint will unlock my IPhone so that I can atleast use it when I goto my country or outside USA.  Sprint says now that because I am not active in their account they wont unlock it. And the chat with the rep is given below.

Chat Issue provided to them. :

I had paid my ETF and disconnected my plan for the USA phone number 7*4********** with IMEI : 99000****82444. And trying to take help from Sprint to ***INTERNATIONAL  UNLOCK *** my iphone 5 for international use as I can no more use my phone within USA.  Request you to unlock the same and give me the details in the email. So far try to reach sprint multiple ways and never I could get a confirmation that the phone will work internationally  and it is unlocked. or nobody could give me steps to unlock it. As I have paid 350$ breakage already I believe, I am legally entitled to get this from sprint.  Please help me as I have to fly in two days internationally..

Subsequent Chat :

Elayaperumal Ganapathy Belinda G.: Hi, my name is Belinda G.. Thank you for your chat request. Please wait while I review your information.Elayaperumal Ganapathy: SureBelinda G.: I do apologize but I do not have an option to assist with your issue.Belinda G.: Our international tech support department can only submit an unlock request to Apple for devices that are actively on a Sprint account.Elayaperumal Ganapathy: I am confused.. I paid 200$ advance.. and 350$ in ETF.. as sprint could not give me LTE in my area still sold a phone..Elayaperumal Ganapathy: now after loosing 550$ of money i cannot use my phone..Elayaperumal Ganapathy: does not sound rightBelinda G.: We do not handle unlock requests in the chat department they all go through our international tech support which have to be called.Belinda G.: Again I do apologize but there is not anything that can be done to assist a non Sprint customer with getting an iPhone unlock done.

Looking to file a case to understand the justification for

1. Why do sprint sell IPhone 5 to customer when you dont have a proper data network to support it. (WHen I tried to talk to someone in billing, in one of my 100 attempts to solve this iphone 5 issue, the guy agreed that Charlotte does not have LTE (though they have 1 or 2 towers overall) and complete network upgrade wont be done for another 2 years. Also they are only focusing on cities like Chicago where they have more customers)

2. When customer is unhappy, and want to leave, that too after payign the ETF fully, why wont you unlock the phone. If it is 10 - 20$ it is fine.. but after taking 550$  giving a phone which cannot be used anywhere. Is it really a decent business?

3. Who is giving right to keep customer money  without providng unlimited data .. charging 69.99$ per month (what is the value you provide to your customers?) and not giving the data at all.

4. Who is giving right to charge 550$ for a phone that cannot be used anywhere?

Journeyman

I did the same thing.  I purchased the IPhone 5 and left I Iphone 4s sit in my desk for a few months.  I called to get the phone unlocked so my daughtrer could use it on her carrier that support CDMA.  These were the lies they told me. 

recently purchased an IPhone 5 from apple and placed it on my sprint account.  I was told that I would be able to unlock my old iPhone 4s so I could sell it.  The price you get for an unlocked IPhone can increase substantially if your phone is unlocked I made a phone call to sprint in an attempt to get my old IPhone 4s unlocked and this is the line of bull shit I received:

1.  The customer service rep first told me there was a new law passed by the FCC that restricted sprint from unlocking my old phone if my intent was to sell it on eBay.  I made a request to customer service if they could give me the reference to that new law.  The customer service rep was not able to provide the information on this new law.

2.  I was then told that the phone would need to be re-activated on my account for three months and that after 90 days they could submit a ticket to apple to have the phone unlocked.

Needless to say this conversation went on for almost an hour before it became clear they were not going to unlock the phone under any circumstances.  A quick search on the Internet will identify thousands of IPhone users who face the same problem with all of the carriers.  They make it impossible for you to unlock the phone you paid cash money for.  I paid almost $900 cash for both my iPhone 4s and again for my IPhone 5.  I am not under contract with sprint.  They have no reason other than financial not to unlock my phone.  I could spend money to unlock the phone myself, but why should I have to pay money for something I already own.

in 2007 Sprint was a defendant in a class action lawsuit in California as a result of its practice of locking cell phones to prevent customers from using them with other carriers. The company has agreed to settle out of court by providing a code to the complaining customers so that they can unlock their phones. 

I decided to take the following action.  I filed a complaint with my State's Attorney General Office and referenced the law suit.  On Monday I also made contact with the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Protection Agency.  Today I create a website and blog to bring awareness of this issue to other users.  I would suggest you take the same action.  If you have any questions you can reach me at this post or hashtag: tracy.hankins@unlockthephone.

Journeyman

I don't know if this was deliberate misinformation on the part of Sprint or you just had extermely misinformed customer service reps. The best thing to do, is to buy a special Sim card that can allow you to use other carriers outside of US. - From within the US you must use the Sprint network, but in Europe I believe you can use other carriers. I found a post on one of the Modding sites that explained one developer's issues with "unlocking":a Sprint phone.

The thing that most people would not know, is that Sprint uses a CDMA network while other carriers use GSM. iPhone 4S are allegedly "able to use either" but Sprint pretty much locks them in to only the Sprint network. This person who wrote the Blog, said, he had purchased an "Unlockled" iPhone 4S and was only able to use other carriers in Europe, here in the US it was still locked to Sprint.

After the end of your two year contract, Sprint is supposed to unlock the phone for you. If you want to do this right away, it's a more complicated issue.

I had to go with Sprint, I am not unlocking at this time. Sprint was the only carrier I could afford to have a single user account with, the others wanted way too much for monthly use. When and If I want to unlock, I'll search out all of the available options, I'm not sure it can be done without buying a special Sim card.

Journeyman

THEY SCAMMED ME TOO!! Sprint are liars thieves and crooks.

The "Corporate Account Manager" Signed us up after we sold her a Toyota.

Then they wouldnt Unlock an iPhone5 that I BOUGHT WITH MY OWN MONEY!

Well guess what I dumped the account on a $20 dollar phone  sold my 4s device 6 months ago and I'm about to tank it NOT DOING BUSINESS WITH SPRINT NO WAY NO HOW!

Journeyman

SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME GUYS.

Was told months before that my Iphone 4s can be unlocked by sprint as long as my line is cancelled and I do not owe sprint anything.  I recently cancelled my line and attempted to get my phone unlocked now I am told they wont do it because I dont have an active line with them.  I explained to them that I was told by a sprint rep that I have to cancel my line first and pay any fees required and they would unlock.  Now im told they wont do it and I was given wrong information.  Each time I contacted sprint for poor network connections or lately unlocking my phone I was lied to.  All my coworkers with sprint hate it and are fighting to get out of their contracts because their signal always sucks.  And when they call to complain they are also given a different story each time.  I had my service with sprint for 2 yrs and I dealt with it believing their lies that their network will improve.  And as OP stated: DO NOT BUY ANY PHONE WITH SPRINT IF YOU PLAN ON UNLOCKING IN THE FUTURE

Journeyman

I too have faced the same problem today with HTC One...

I asked them to unlock my phone as am moving overseas and wanted to use a international sim they say different answers...

1.Phone cannot be unlocked as there is ASL on account.

2.90 day policy

Yesterday night i have placed request for termination of my account with SPRINT, Can someone tel me how many days it would take for cancelling of services, and after the services are cancelled can i unlock my phone from a third party and use the device with a SIM card.

Your response would be much appreciated !

Journeyman

Trust me when I say Sprint is THE WORST cellphone company I've ever had, they claim to have "Unlimited data" yet you can hardly connect in many places and when you can its always 3g, in very VERY few places can you get 4g never mind LTE. All of they're connections over all are laggy slow they make 56k dial up AOL look like god speed. Ontop of that they make false promises, I had a cooperate store manager at a sprint store PROMISE ME even tho i was getting a MSL plan I'd be able to suspend my service while deploying to Afghanistan and keep my number on hold, and have my Iphone 5 unlocked for use while deployed. Long story short when I went back to that store they said that the manager had been transferred and they could not honor his promise. That even tho I had orders to DEPLOY I would have to keep paying my monthly service charges no matter what and my phone would NOT be unlocked. I called and spoke with customer service 100's of times each time I hardly got a agent that spoke English and when I asked for a supervisor they treated me rudely. I have been in contact with verizon about this situation not only did they offer me to transfer my number with no deposit but they are giving me a special military plan that allows me to use my phone for voice and text while anywhere in the world while I am deployed under military orders and I'll only pay half the normal price of the bill. I got the new Verizon Iphone 5 and let me tell you oh boy is the 4G LTE so damn fast, and the share everything plan is amazing unlimited talk text and share data with your family, it includes being able to turn your phone into a mobile hotspot free of charge and believe it or not its really hard to go over they're limits and if you do you get notified and you can increase it for no fee or penalty.

I have filed multiple claims with my credit agency and they have already blocked and removed sprints hits to my credit report.

Please spread word to your family friends or a stranger walking in the direction of a sprint store, stay away for your sanity and wallets sake.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat