cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the catch buying a brand new Sprint iPhone off ebay?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

What's the catch buying a brand new Sprint iPhone off ebay?

Currently I have a Sprint account without any contract. I want to upgrade my phone, and found some new Sprint iPhone 8 on eBay for 100 to 200 discount. Assuming they are not stolen phones, which should be protected by eBay's policy, what's the catch here? Can I request for SIM unlock after I upgrade and use it with my current account for 50 days?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: What's the catch buying a brand new Sprint iPhone off ebay?

Besides from the 50 days requirement, please bear in mind that there are some other eligibility points a device has to meet before it can be unlocked:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
• The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
• Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed
• The associated account is in good standing
• The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
• If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number

Learn more about unlocking a device:

Hints for Successful Unlocks
Sprint Unlock Policy
FAQs about unlocking

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GrandMaster

if you are buying it off ebay one would assume it is already unlocked and can go to any carrier..are we talking new new or refurbished new as in someone owned it previously so there is a 50/50 chance its locked to them still?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Besides from the 50 days requirement, please bear in mind that there are some other eligibility points a device has to meet before it can be unlocked:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
• The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
• Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed
• The associated account is in good standing
• The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
• If you are not the original owner of the device, you have the original owner's full name or the account number

Learn more about unlocking a device:

Hints for Successful Unlocks
Sprint Unlock Policy
FAQs about unlocking

Kelvin
Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
GrandMaster

if you are buying it off ebay one would assume it is already unlocked and can go to any carrier..are we talking new new or refurbished new as in someone owned it previously so there is a 50/50 chance its locked to them still?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seller already indicate that the phone is locked to Sprint.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

so if its coming from a person and not a company odds are they will need to unlock it..or whomever owned it originally. if it was never owned by anyone then technically its a brand new phone but im not to sure how that would work since it would be new and locked to Sprint but not going through a lease or installment billing.

i would just play it safe..if it turns out someone owned it and its locked to them that right there opens all kinds of worms and issues.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat