Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are we getting the Iphone!!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone! uPhone! we all want an iPhone!  What is up Sprint?!? 

If I didn't live in a canyon that only gets Sprint, I would have left a long time ago to get one....but I have heard there are now signal boosters so I will investigate.

It isn't that I'm not willing to try what you offer. I called every day when the Evo came out and returned it in a week.  Too heavey.  Too hot.   My finger pads must not be where they should be because I could not make the touch screen behave at all ... maybe when you are over 50 your finger pads also wrinkle and they are not where you think they are!?!  I tried the Rumor or one of the slide out key boards....again, impossible. I have no trouble with the iPhone at all when I use those that belong to friends.  

Again, iPhone. uPhone! we ALL want an iPhone. 

Master

I understand your frustration   But the folks who post here do not have the information much before it is made public  When we can give out information we try to do so

Journeyman

Hi Knight:

I don't understand the sentance  "when we can give out information we try to do so".   Who is the WE and what is the 'try'?  Do you work for Sprint? Will you give information out before the press release?  can you tell us what is in development and what the ETA is?

Master

Re: When are we getting the Iphone!!

When we can give out information   refers to myself and  others who post here who are Sprint employees.   We try to do so.  was my error I meant try to do so in a timely manner.  Normally the information is released through publicly before we get a chance.  Sorry for not being clearer

Journeyman

why do so many ppl care that others want an iPhone? In the essence of full disclosure I used to be one of them, but I've moved on. Are there phones that do more? sure. But if there was a single phone that was far better than any other phone, everyone would have it. This just isn't the case.

I have an EVO and switched from an iPhone 4 last year. Personaly I like the EVO better for the type of user that I am. But for the alot of ppl, the experience on an iPhone is better than that of the Android platform in some cases. Apple is a user experience company and are able to move hardware b/c they are good at putting together a seamless experience through their software.

Some like it, some don't...who cares. If the iPhone comes to Sprint it's good for ALL of us! It would bring more options to Sprint for us and also bring more customers, allowing Sprint to continue to expand their network, particularly 4G, ultimately making all our service better.

Sorry for the rant...just don't know why ppl continue to criticize what other ppl prefer.

Granted, the flipside of this is for those who say "OMG IF SPRINT DOESN'T GET THE IPHONE THIS YEAR I'M LEAVING I'M NOT WAITING ANYMORE FOR IT, :GROBBLE:GROBBLE:GROBBLE:". If you want an iPhone that bad, why haven't you gotten one? They've been around for 4 years so you've gone through at least 2 2-year contracts. Just go buy one already. However, if you're anything like me, the added features you may get with an iPhone don't outweigh the month to month cost savings.

Journeyman

Hi Cory:

I'm just curious about when Sprint will get the iPhone because I found the Evo a disaster for me -- too heavy, to hot and most important counter intuitive to how I think.  When the supreme court  made 'proprietary' decision allowing any company to have any phone was a year ago, I thought sprint would have one.  If I had ATT reception where I live, I would have bought one.  But only Sprint works where I live -- so there are no choices for me.  Hence, I keep asking.  I have a Blackberry whose small screen makes any on line services inconvenient and difficult to read. Now AT&T (again) has a full screen slide Blackberry -- which we do not have.  So it is just annoying.

It is my understanding Apple wants/charges steep royalties for the iPhone to the providers, which Apple, nor the providers will disclose. Until VZW paid Apple an undisclosed amount for the R&D necessary for CDMA it was a GSM only phone. I don't own a droid or iOS phone, but if I were choose one, it would probably be droid. I am not excited about either, but it seems to me Apple is just biting it's time to get Sprint to pay what it wants for licensing, etc.  Will the iPhone come to Sprint, probably at some point, but it depends on wher they are with negotiations on it, and what version, 4 or 5, customizations Sprint wants, and what Apple is willing to do, and for how much. The iPhone is loosing to the droid market in the way of sales, but who knows, maybe Sprint will make an announcement next week. I don't think the Sprint Employee's that are on here can comment on release dates until it is public information, I know my Company has a policy that prohibits such. It is not so much Sprint's fault, but the SEC takes a hard look at announcements made by any employee of any company, which reveals information that could raise or lower the stock price. They just have to be careful and who knows, they may not even know yet.

Journeyman

Thank you Dale.  I suspected as much regarding licenses and money, etc.  However could you take a minute to explain the alphabet soup to me?

What is VZW  CDMA  GSM  and iOS (I guess is iPhone operating system) .  if you don't have a droid or iphone what system do you have?

VZW paid Apple an undisclosed amount for the R&D necessary for CDMA it was a GSM only phone. I don't own a droid or iOS phone,

EDAGHALLINAN wrote:

Thank you Dale.  I suspected as much regarding licenses and money, etc.  However could you take a minute to explain the alphabet soup to me?

What is VZW  CDMA  GSM  and iOS (I guess is iPhone operating system) .  if you don't have a droid or iphone what system do you have?

VZW paid Apple an undisclosed amount for the R&D necessary for CDMA it was a GSM only phone. I don't own a droid or iOS phone,

Sorry about that.

VZW - Verizon

CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access - Basically it is the technology Sprint and Verizon Phones use to communicate with the cell tower.

GSM - Global System fopr Mobile Comminications - Basically it is the technology AT&T and T-Mobile use to commicate with the cell tower.

iOS - iPhone Operating System

I have an old Blackberry 9630 World Edition Phone that is almost 2 years old, or at least will be in a few weeks.

Journeyman

Thank you very much for that.  One final question.  So the Blackberry company employs  a different technology to work with the cell towers of different companies. Do Verizon and Sprint share? or once the RnD is done for one is it cheaper to modify it for the other?

BlackBerry's, like any other phone are CDMA (Sprint and Verizon), GSM (AT&T & T-Mobile). The R&D does get cheaper when the competitor has already paid someone to designe the electronics, but with every provider, there are features which one phone from provider A may have that is not on provider B's phone, so there is testing to be done to try and make sure your phone does not crash when you launch an application on it. Once they get everything working, then there is of course the Government side of it. All Cell Phones, CDMA and GSM have to be fined tuned to work on the radio frequencies used by the carrier and are subject to strict parameters to insure they don't interfere with each other, and don't fry the side of your head or hand while talking. Think of it as an FM Radio in your car, and each carrier, like a radio station has their own frequencies. The FCC has to approve the phone to be used on those frequancies, so the manufacturer and provider have yet another hoop to jump through. In the end, seems everyone wants a buck to do their part. The electronics component manufactuers that make the thing work, license their chips for use in the phone by way of royalties for using them, even though the chip was purchased (What a scam if you ask me), and in the case of Apple, they want royalties from the provider, and of course we also have the license for the phone's operating system. IMHO the thing that takes the longest is probably the contracts to make sure evryone gets their cut, while trying to keep the phone somewhat affordable.

Journeyman

A little late, but better late than never! I recently dumped my Android phone (Samsung Epic 4G) and went back to my Sanyo flip phone for better reception (+ Ipod Touch 4G).

As for the debate b/w Android vs. Apple, i had both...Apple won in the end. Android is OK, but it does not nearly have the amount of apps available on the Market. Not only is Apple apps more populated, but you have CHOICES among a type of app. Whatever you search for, you have choices to choose from. On Android market, you are lucky to have 2 choices...most of the time, just one.  So, Android's quality of app is not even close to Apple's.

Another problem with Android (for me) was when i downloaded a movie. It took forever! With Itunes, i can download a movie via my very-fast laptop using the laptop processor...and then the transfer to my Ipod is quick and easy. With Android, you have to rely on the phone's processor to download a movie...and this takes a lot more time to do. Yes, it is nice to have everything on your phone, but Itunes make downloading quicker, which (for me) is more important.

The last issue with Android is that everything on the market nowadays is geared to Apple products. This is changing i know. However, currently, all car electronics work well with Apple, and crappy with Android phones. I never got my Samsung Epic (at the time, top notch Android phone) to work well with my Prius entertainment system...USB connection sucked, BT Audio streaming sucked. On my wife's Acura, it did not even recognize the phone!

Sure, the Android platform is more "open," but for the average user (e.g. me) who knows zero about computer codes and jailbreaking, the Apple solution is far more intuitive. I hope the best for Android, but i am sticking with Apple after 6 months of Android. So, yes, i am anxiously awaiting Apple Iphone 4S to come to Sprint this year!

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!