ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling IOS 11.2

Journeyman

Re: Wifi Calling IOS 11.2

AEA7066D-EF22-4F54-BFBA-C7B8939F843B.jpeg12:23a. WiFi calling vanished 4 hours ago.

I called Sprint to report this issue last Wednesday, Dec 7th,  after I updated to iOS 11.2. The person I spoke to had no idea about this issue, hence, no fix. 

This is one frustrating part of being a small subscriber like myself. Sprint can pretend to listen to my concern. And i can choose to leave but make a dent if I do. 

Reading through most common problems with iOS 11.2, extreme battery drain is on top of the list. Again. I have noticed the same on my phone too. 

Im just trying to be positive about it hoping that Apple will soon release an update to fix these bugs. This is a pattern, whenever a new iOS is released to fix bugs, but the same bugs come back. 

Problem this time is, only Sprint subscribers are affected by this lost WFC. Unless sprint loses 50% of it’s subscribers because of this issue,  Im doubtful that Sprint will spring into action anytime soon. 

I hope the sprint owners are experiencing the same inconvenience. Unless they are android phone users. Or subscribers to networks other than what they own. 

Journeyman

Re: WiFi-Calling & VCC stopped working

I switched to Sprint 48hrs ago.  I can understand bugs happens.  But the tech support has been horrendous.   I’m contemplating switching back...  

GrandMaster

@jweaver you are correct..Sprints wifi calling is not the same as the other carriers wifi calling. its pretty much built in and only works on carrier branded devices for Sprint..so the update itself is what is not working well with the update. which means Apple must work with Sprint to figure out the issue..test it..kick it over to Sprint so they can test it..then once that clears it gets kicked out to you guys/gals. people are pointing out that wifi calling is working on other carriers devices..well there is your difference between the carriers when it comes to their wifi calling compared to Sprints.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 wrote:
@jweaver you are correct..Sprints wifi calling is not the same as the other carriers wifi calling. its pretty much built in and only works on carrier branded devices for Sprint..so the update itself is what is not working well with the update. which means Apple must work with Sprint to figure out the issue..test it..kick it over to Sprint so they can test it..then once that clears it gets kicked out to you guys/gals. people are pointing out that wifi calling is working on other carriers devices..well there is your difference between the carriers when it comes to their wifi calling compared to Sprints.

Also remember that there have been iOS issues in the past that were isolated to some carriers. For example, the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus it was on a version of iOS 10 I forget which one but LTE wasn’t working for Verizon and AT&T  on those devices but everyone else’s worked fine. It came down to where Apple ruled it was an iOS issue and not a carrier bundle problem. I do agree to say that Sprint and Apple need to communicate to one another to get it fixed no matter what needs to be done either carrier update or iOS update. I think however it is an iOS problem based on the testing versions of iOS and the carrier updates. 

Community Manager

Sprint is aware customers that have Wi-Fi Calling provisioned may report the service is not working after upgrading to iOS 11.2 which was released on 12/2/17.  The symptom is quite simply the device will not register for Wi-Fi Calling.  The notification bar will not show "Sprint Wi-Fi" which is normally shown when Wi-Fi Calling is ready.

Good news is we are actively working to resolve this and have been since last week.  In short, on 12/7, we made upgrades to increase capacity for connected devices by 234%.  This explains why it works for some and not others.  Although this may sound like a huge number, it is only a slight increase and not near the end solution.  The team will implement some additional changes this evening (12/11/2017) to increase capacity.  This should get us to the optimal performance that is expected.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Sprint is aware customers that have Wi-Fi Calling provisioned may report the service is not working after upgrading to iOS 11.2 which was released on 12/2/17.  The symptom is quite simply the device will not register for Wi-Fi Calling.  The notification bar will not show "Sprint Wi-Fi" which is normally shown when Wi-Fi Calling is ready.

Good news is we are actively working to resolve this and have been since last week.  In short, on 12/7, we made upgrades to increase capacity for connected devices by 234%.  This explains why it works for some and not others.  Although this may sound like a huge number, it is only a slight increase and not near the end solution.  The team will implement some additional changes this evening (12/11/2017) to increase capacity.  This should get us to the optimal performance that is expected.

I know you’re just an employee but how does it become a capacity problem after iOS 11.2 upgrade when no problems before?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Just an employee?  I resent that statement. Smiley Happy  Without giving up company secrets and immediately becoming a former employee, there were a background network element that could not handle the new found traffic.  With that said, all should be well soon.

Journeyman KSB
Journeyman

Thanks for the update, Em Will I AM (Sprint Employee). Fingers crossed this issue will be resolved soon. I, and many others in rural areas with sketchy cell signals, rely on Wi-Fi calling and texting. Please continue to keep us updated.

Journeyman

Thanks for the update! Does this mean everyone should be all set tonight, or more people should be all set? I am one of the many with really sketchy cell service and i rely on my WiFi calling, as i think so many of us here do. Again, thanks for your update! 😊
Journeyman KSB
Journeyman

MacRumors.com posted an update on the issue, including a statement from a Sprint Rep.  We may or may not all be up and running by late tonight, but they're working on it. I'm hoping once WiFi is restored, battery life will be better, too. IOS 11.2 was disastrous to both.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/11/sprint-wifi-calling-not-working-ios-11-2/

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am wrote:

Just an employee?  I resent that statement. Smiley Happy  Without giving up company secrets and immediately becoming a former employee, there were a background network element that could not handle the new found traffic.  With that said, all should be well soon.

If you are allowed to elaborate please do. My perspective is that I had iOS 11.2 under beta 2 which already had carrier 31.0 at that time. I believe all iOS 11.2 betas had that carrier bundle. Not trying to be rude but. What background network elenient for Wi-Fi Calling, if you are allowed to share that information, has changed since beta 2 to beta 6 which is the whole stable public release while still maintaining the same carrier bundle. For example, I go back to let’s say iOS 11.2 beta 5, which I did and now my Wi-Fi Calling is rock solid and problem gone. I do understand that you guys are doing everything you guys can to get every iOS 11.2 user back up and running on Wi-Fi Calling consistently but I’m just asking as a curious customer. 

Journeyman

Mine came on about 10am EST and has been on ever since.  This even while going in and out of Wifi.   So it looks promising.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat