cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4s won't work with Airave

34 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: iPhone 4s won't work with Airave

I discovered quite by accident that if you include a SUBJECT the text will be sent

Journeyman

I was having poor signal issues with my new iphone 4 at my house.  I unplugged my Airave for a minute, plugged it back in and now I have at least 3 bars all the time.  Still liked my Blackberry phone better that iPhone.

Wizard

Hello swami7, I wanted to mention a few items that you may find helpful. *99 is not to "activate" your phone on the Airave, but is used to determine whether you are, or not connected to the Airave. I'm sorry for the bad coverage in your neighborhood, but apart from activating (programming the phone) over the cellular connection you also have the option of connecting over WiFi, or through iTunes via USB. Please post back if you have any other questions. Thank you, Chris.

Journeyman

I just reset my iphone 4s to the factory defaults and now the airave doesn't work.  BUT I figured out the problem.  As arbrisbin said, you can dial *99 and it will activate the phone with your Airave.  However, it didn't work for me - the phone is not activated with Sprint yet.   Sprint works great normally, but for some reason, our subdivision has HORRIBLE coverage.  Activating is taking forever because of our crappy regular signal in this subdivison.  So, the solution is 1) wait for the crappy signal to work through the Sprint activation, 2) leave the subdivision where I can actually get a decent signal and let it activate with Sprint, or 3) call Sprint and activate the phone.  After that, the Airave works great!

Journeyman

RJ:

I came across an iPhone App that compares the speed & signal strength of all three cell service providers.  You may have to do some searching on iTune App store. 

I'm "suffering the same fate" as most of you here:  Iphone 4s will not connect, whereas wife's Sanyo will.  I'm waiting for Airave support higher ups to call me with a solution.  Will let everyone know when I here from them.

Journeyman

Hi RJKinsman, since you're in Chicago you may be suffering from the Network Vision handoff problems between old sites and new sites, detailed here.  If the tower near you is down, it may be that they're currently replacing the equipment with new Network Vision equipment and the tower is turned off until that is completed.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-w...

As for the "three beeps".  Yes from all of my experience if you get the 3 beeps then your phone is using the Airave for the call (not necessarily for EVDO data though from all of my problems I've experienced).  However, I've also found that calls pretty much never hand-off successfully from the Airvana to the Sprint tower as the documentation claims they should.  If I start a call on the Airvana (3 beeps) and then walk out of range of the Airvana into macro network coverage (Sprint tower) the call pretty much always drops. 

RJKinsman wrote:

Thanks, citybett1, that is very helpful.  Luckily, I happen to be in the Chicago area.  It's probably pure coincidence, but the Airave support tech told me the nearest tower to my location was down, and would be back up in a few days. 

So I have a user-type question, still being fairly new to using Airave (about three months).  When I make a call, if I get the "three beeps," it's my understanding that that indicates that I am connected to the Airave.  Is it that simple, or could it be that I'm switching between the Airave and that regular tower in my area?  I'm starting to think that in reality I've been connecting to that outside tower, and that I started having trouble when that tower went down.

For now, I can be known as... "Confused in Chicago"

Journeyman

One solution that i'm not sure if anyone had tried blocking the iPhone (or whatever phone u don't want to use the Airave) thru the airave settings. U can either restrict use of a specific phone/phone number OR just allow use to the phone/numbers that u want. I have a motorola photon, epic 4g touch (s2)& iPhone 4s and the iPhone doesn't seem to connect anyway. But with the photon and the s2 I have occasionally blocked one or the other because I didn't feel like dealing with the text and browsing problems and also the fact that if u try to go from airave to a regular mobile network u drop the call which makes no sense to me.

But just a thought for u to try... The allow/restrict option that the airave offers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, citybett1, that is very helpful.  Luckily, I happen to be in the Chicago area.  It's probably pure coincidence, but the Airave support tech told me the nearest tower to my location was down, and would be back up in a few days. 

So I have a user-type question, still being fairly new to using Airave (about three months).  When I make a call, if I get the "three beeps," it's my understanding that that indicates that I am connected to the Airave.  Is it that simple, or could it be that I'm switching between the Airave and that regular tower in my area?  I'm starting to think that in reality I've been connecting to that outside tower, and that I started having trouble when that tower went down.

For now, I can be known as... "Confused in Chicago"

Journeyman

That's a tough question RJKinsman.  I think the only way you would know would be to get demo phones or something from other carriers and actually test them out for your use.  In my area for example, the in-building coverage varies widely amongst all of the carriers, mostly dependent on where they have towers located.  Each carrier's network is built differently, so Sprint phones may have poor signal in your house while some other carrier has excellent signal in your house. 

Some of the coverage issues with Sprint may get resolved when they implement Network Vision in your area, which is basically Sprint is going through and overhauling every tower which should increase capacity and coverage (in theory anyway).  But depending on where you live, it may be quite a ways off.  Sprint is working on Network Vision in Chicago right now for example, but other areas of the country you may be waiting until 2nd/3rd quarter of 2013 for Network Vision in your area.

Here's a link that might shed some more light on the subject for you.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollou...

Journeyman

Hmm, thanks.  I didn't read your thread closely enough.  Very frustrating. 

Well, now the question in my mind is, would another carrier, say Verizon, be any better?  I'd hate to go through the trouble of switching, which I really do not want to do, only to find that I'm having the same kind of trouble with them.

The other consideration for me, anyway, is that becuase of my problem, and, I think, my long-term status with Sprint, they provided the Airave at no additional charge.  Not sure if Verizon or AT&T would be so generous to a brand new customer.

Just thinking out loud... frustrated... very frustrated...