cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Constantly Switching To Roaming! Can't hardly use it!

Journeyman

So for the first week, my Sprint iPhone was working perfectly.  No issues, great reception and full bars at home.  Now for the last 5 days, our phones are constantly switching between "Sprint" and "Extended."  This is so frustrating.

Sprint bars rarely go above 2 bars and we drop calls all the time!  We can hardly send text messages and 3g doesn't even work.

Is there any way to force the iphone to roam only.  When we're in "Extended" mode, the phone works great.

Called sprint to explain the issue and they're sending a mini-cell tower Airave to us for free but that can't get here soon enough.

27 REPLIES 27
Wizard

There's not a way to force the phone to roam unfortunately.  Have you tried to update the profile or reset the network settings?  Also, did they check the towers around your home area for service issues?

Update profile: From your dial pad enter ##873283# 'call' - takes a minute or two for service to update

Reset network settings: settings>general>reset>reset network settings

Journeyman

I tried the PRL update using #873283# and it would not update because I can't stay connected to a sprint tower long enough.  I drove a ways out to get a better connection and the update worked but the probem persists.  The PRL number didn't change in the phoen either, it's still the same.

I just tried the network reset and I'll see what happens.  Thanks for the tip.  At first glance, doesn't look promising.  Still at 1 bar and as I type this, still swtiching between Sprint and Extended.

So frustrating that it worked for a week and now this...

Wizard

I'm going to send you a private message so that I can look into a few other things.

Wizard

Thanks for all the info.  I've submitted the network ticket to get this taken care of.  The ticket number is 18893989-111029.  If anyone else in zip code 95661is experiencing voice coverage issues, please note that we are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it.

Thanks

Dave

Journeyman

I've been having the same issue in the Elk Grove/Sac area and have not gotten any clear answer as to whether a tower is down or not

Journeyman

I am experiencing the same issues with my iPhone 4s in the Los Angeles area and it has been a very irritating process to say the least. On my blackberry I could walk around my whole house without any service issues, the iphone cannot seem to keep me on a call for more than a few minutes and have received multiple message sent failures like others have commented. Happy I found this thread and I am not the only one miserable with this hyped up Sprint iphone. Spent 3 hours in an apple store after a Sprint rep told me it was most likely an internal antenna issue and to troubleshoot the problem at an Apple store. Got the the apple store after waiting around they tell me they are going to replace my device and then I am notified they are receiving an error and cannot access my account to transfer service on the replacment. At this point I was furious and said give me my old phone back and I am leaving!! Sprint and Apple need to get on the same page and need to fix these issues ASAP!!! Zip codes are 91401 and 90036.

Journeyman

We have the same problem in Cleveland near downtown (44113).  Before switching to iPhone the dropped call or roaming was limited to a few locations including in the house.  Now the old bad places are worse and there are some new problem areas.

We have two iPhones and the problems are identical.

Sprint checked the tower and offered the VoIP cell booster, but backed off when they learned that our in house wifi is a Sprint mobile hotspot.

Journeyman

I live near Eau Claire, Wisconsin (western Wisconsin). I am having exactly the same problem.  In town I get pretty good service.  At home it switches between "Sprint" with maybe 1 bar (crappy), and "Extended", which seems to work pretty well.  I have an iPhone 4S - sure wish I could get my money's worth - Sprint promised the moon but came up short.

Journeyman

I am in the Norther Virginia area and everytime my iPhone4s switched to extended network while driving, it drops the call. Does the same going back onto Sprint network . SPRINT PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND FIX THIS !!!!!!!! back to Verizon I will go .......

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same here in 38002. It is killing the battery too. Can't get through a work day without having to charge the battery. Losing more than 10% an hour. If something is not done soon I'll be moving to greener pastures. Rather let Sprint steal an ETF fee than pay for this for two years.

Journeyman

That was my thought exactly.  I have noticed my At&t iphone battery last alot longer than my Sprint iphone.

I also decided to pay the ETF than to pay Sprint $4000 throughout 2 years for service not nearly close to what they advertise.  Thank god I found someone to buy my phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat