cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about buying an iPhone???

Highlighted
Journeyman

thinking about buying an iPhone???

I would love to upgrade to an iPhone 5, but I have a few questions. Could someone please help me?

1. My current phone is an Android- can I transfer my music MP3's to the iPhone WITHOUT using iTunes?
  2. I've noticed on other iPhones that when a new text or phone call comes in, a preview will show on the screen without the phone being unlocked- is there a way to turn that feature off?
  3. Can you use the Sprint GPS Navagation app instead of the Apple Navagation app? I have a lot of addresses saved in there already.
10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Re: thinking about buying an iPhone???

Don't be afraid of iTunes (like many uninformed people seem to be).  Depending on the amount of music you add, you may use it once, twice, a hundred times, or never.  It's a simple and effective program to rapidly get music (and other stuff, if you want) on or off your iDevice.

Typically you'll rip your CD's and copy your mp3's over to iTunes on a desktop/laptop, sync your iPhone to iTunes on the desktop with the supplied USB cable, wait a few minutes and all or part of your music is uploaded to your iPhone (how much depends on which ones and how many songs you want sync'd).

Alternatively, or in addition you may place all your music (wherever it came from) in the cloud using iTunes Match ($25/yr.).

You'll never need use iTunes again unless you load some new CD's, or unencrypted music or mp3's on your desktop and you want to add them to your iPhone OR you want to manage/change how many and which songs are on your iPhone.

If you purchase music from Apple, you can get new music straight from your iPhone by accessing the iTunes Store (no desktop required).

iTunes is not required for storing your photos, apps, application data, contacts, calendar, or for software updates, etc, etc. This may be done using iCloud (you decide what you want backed up, and it is; behind the scenes).

Settings > Notifications > Phone > View in Lock Screen > Off

Settings > Notifications > Messages > View in Lock Screen > Off

Sprint Navigation (by TeleNav) is not offered by Sprint for the iPhone.  You can purchase it (TeleNav)  in the App Store (a limited free version and a paid version).  Apple Maps can be a little wonky with POI search terms, but I've used it extensively for automobile navigation and it has worked well and I like the interface a lot. A free version of Google Maps is also available for the iPhone.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

Journeyman

Tho the iPhone 5 is a nice phone, beware of the data coverage in your area and the areas you travel in.  The iPhone does not work on the 4g WiMax network so unless you are in a 4 g LTE network you will be stuck with sub par 3G data. 

Journeyman

RUUUUUNNNN!!! Dont do it...read the posts on iphone 5 data issues here and everywhere on the internet. Youll be sorry you bought an iphone 5 with sprint as your carrier!!!

Journeyman

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortanely, I did get sucked into buying an iPhone, and I hate it! Not only does it not do half the stuff that my Droid did, but the comments about the coverage area are correct. The day after I activated the phone, I took it to a Sprint service center because I wasn't receving texts, or able to send any, and I couldn't get on the internet unless I was on wi-fi. I was told that the phone was defective, and I needed to swap it out. There was a two hour wait to do so. However, the guy reset the phone or did something so that it worked temporarily.

A few days later, I started experiencing the same problems, so I called Sprint to see if they could do the reset or whatever the guy did over the phone to make it work again, because the closest Sprint service store is a good 45 minutes away. I was told that I might need to purchase a signal booster to make my phone work properly!!! I never had such issues with my Droid; I work where there are UNDERGROUND tunnels and I could get a signal with my Droid; this stupid iPhone won't even pretend to try to connect to the network.

Long story short, between the snow storm that blew through here, and my hectic schedule, I missed the 14 day window to return this piece of crap and am now stuck with it for a year. I also let them talk me into selling my Droid, but I'm to the point where I am willing to pay full price for another Droid somewhere else to get back the functionality and reliable service I could depend on before this stupid iPhone came into my life.

Bottom line, if you are thinking from switching from Droid to Apple, DON'T!!!!!

Journeyman

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I do not like my Iphone5. It is my first and my last. I really hate Sprint, but you get what you pay for.  I hate this phone and Sprint so much that I am gong back to Verizon to an Android phone. I had the DroidX before and thnk I will get another one.

Journeyman

I totally agree with you! I switched from Verizon and my DroidX to Sprint Iphone5 and regret the decision each and every day. I am willing to sacrifice the funds to switch back to Verizon and get another Droid. I would rather pay the disconnect fee than keep paying Sprint for worthless service. Sadly, I have alread paid for the worthless phone. I think I'll put it  on Ebay.

Journeyman

mzsv,

Do you actually hate your iPhone or just the Sprint service that it is on?  If you do hate the phone itself, why?  Just wondering because I like the phone but hate Sprint's data service.

Journeyman

When you have bad service, you cannot help but dislike the phone. Bad service renders the phone useless. I find that the Iphone5 is not user friendly. The apps are very limited, if your phone is facing up, everyone can see any and all phone messages, text and so forth. I cannot say that I have had very many good days with my Iphone5. I have had it since October.

Wizard

If I had bad service, I might hate my provider, but not my phone.  Every phone would be bad.  Do your homework on coverage and services (borrow a friend's iPhone) to make sure it's OK where you'll be using it.

Apps are limited. That's a pretty ridiculous statement. If you think that the app selection or app functions are limited, it's clear that you haven't explored your phone or the App Store.

I guess if I had an inferior screen with poor viewing angles no one anywhere could see my screen very well, but it wouldn't be satisfactory for me either.  What you're pining for is a cheap phone.

Journeyman

Yes you can turn off the part where it won't show up on your phone but you will still get a sound alert when you get a text message. I have the iPhone 5 and love it, where I live we have 4G LTE in most of the area. In the area that doesn't have it I can still send texts and call but can't go on the web. I hope this was helpful.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat