cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking an iphone for use on a different domestic network

Highlighted
Journeyman

unlocking an iphone for use on a different domestic network

On August 1, the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act became law. (Go to congress.gov and search for S.517).

The text of this law "Allows such circumvention (unlocking) to be initiated by the owner of such a device". When I ask Sprint to unlock my iphone 4S for use on another domestic network,  I'm told Sprint won't do it. Not their policy. But there is no technological reason that I know of.

The Apple site says that the "carrier must submit an unlocking request." (I assume that Sprint must request Apple to perform this unlocking step.) Given that this welcome law exists, why wouldn't Sprint submit such a request of Apple?

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: unlocking an iphone for use on a different domestic network

There are only two CDMA carriers in the USA: Verizon and Sprint. I'm not sure Verizon will provision Sprint iPhone 4S, but who knows.

Next, there are still some minimal standards for you to meet before Sprint will unlock your phone: you must have paid off the phone by the length of your contract. And your account must be in good standing. You just can't call with an iPhone 4S purchased from some anonymous guy on Craigslist.

Lastly, even though the law is signed, I thought it did not go into effect until Feb 2015. But don't quote me on that.

Master

LeftCoastMan, Hi you guys. Much of what you said is true. The unlocking goes into affect February 2015. There must be certain requirements that are met such account in good standing. Check out this link for more information about unlocking the device: http://bit.ly/OUqJND.

- Sheila
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

There is a way out of the unlock problems at a  better price too. Go to  Ting - mobile that makes sense , a Sprint reseller and check out their service and costs. They are a good alternate to Sprint from my experience.

Journeyman

Bob: Thank you for the suggestion. The down side to this though is it still puts money in sprint's pocket...

Master

jFlatz, Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Ash
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

You could start by helping us unlock our iPhone 5(s)

Journeyman

Sprint does not care for anyone's business. They refuse to unlock the Iphones even after the contract. I had my 4s for 3 years and suffered sprint's horribly slow  service  and unlimited data which you cannot use due to the bad speeds. 

I was so happy when I traded in my WORTHLESS  SPRINT LOCKED phone and got 200$ for it  at other carriers. All the other carriers are giving 200$ for your old worthless sprint Iphone 4s and even more for later models.

Please switch and be happy and have LTE speeds instead of sprint's lousy network and ignorant reps.

Master

asj444,

We don't want you to feel that way. There are standard industry requirements which we need to follow for unlocking phones. We are continuing to complete upgrades nationwide. We hope you will come back to us in the future.

- Jewel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I'm a long time customer  15 years and I am become very disappointed in Sprint/People Soft  I have always defended sprint but now Im about to walk away. is so easy to see why you been losing customer or better yet holding on to them. To the power that Maybe don't you know that if you give the trust, Service  and Cost with as much freedom to walk away as to stay, those that walk away will come back and if they dont  we didnt want them anyway & if you quit trying control you Clients like not unlocking there Iphone's   that what broke my spirt) for them or promising to punish them for wanting out of a contract.(ETF's) Just require them to return there phone and all there accessories and pay for the use + dmg's with a 90 day window.You been building on your customer service but you don't offer TRUST & Loyalty sure its a gamble but if you really want to be the best wireless carrier then give what you want Trusting loyal Clients I'm tired of talking and i've said my peace. Sure finish I'll off my obligation to Sprint. I could run off to T mobile  or sell my sprint phone and move to AT&T Im sure they have some strings attached but i know AT&T will unlock my phone with out a run around  and T Mobile see's everyone with there ETF's so  there will to pay off any clients even mine who feels controlled. Verizon in the same boat as you there just big enough to wait out.

you  see its like my job i was looking for one when Continental Hired me  but It was a Certain CEO that offer trust loyaty and so i gave back the same and I always keep the same standard. so it goes with my cell phone i looking at one before i choose Sprint. Whats it going to be ?????            

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat