cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using iPhone 5 in England?

Journeyman

using iPhone 5 in England?

I will be traveling to England and would like to unlock my Sprint iPhone 5 and use it with a local sim card. I was told by Sprint that I would have to restore my phone to factory settings and re-boot it with a backed-up version in order to complete the unlock process. My questions are, #1-is this necessary to unlock the phone and #2-if I do this will I then have to back my phone up again with iTunes after I insert the new Sim card in England? I am not planning to travel with my computer so this will be a problem if I will have to back the iPhone up again when I get to my destination.

3 REPLIES 3
Wizard

Re: using iPhone 5 in England?

#1, I don't know.  #2, you may restore your backup from iCloud assuming you have iCloud backup enabled in your device Settings and you've made a recent backup. But, they'll unlock it in the USA and you'll be able to restore it using iTunes on a PC/Mac before you leave.

Oops, and no you won't have to restore it when you put in a new SIM.  But, if you needed to, you could restore from iCloud...

From Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Message was edited by: seeblue1

Journeyman

Sprint will only unlock the phone for international travel after the phone has been on the account 3 months, and you can't use any other sim with a sprint iphone other than the one that is in it, no others will work. You will need to add the international plan to your account as well. Went threw the same stuff with my iphone 5.

Journeyman

Todd2456,

In order to get better help on your international traveling needs please check out: http://bit.ly/ieVBcN Here they will be able to show you rates, add-ons, and or any restrictions you will need for your traveling. Let me know if this helps!

Lucia

Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat