Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad iPhone XR Provisioning - Apple support notes it’s a Sprint Issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's an issue for a savvy Sprint tech that I've been dealing with since I got my iPhone XR. My connection to the network is inconsistent even in good coverage areas. The symptoms seem to suggest either a bad network setup for my device/SIM or a bad device (but it's new, I'm on the latest iOS software - 12.1.2 -  and has been happening only on Sprint, so I feel I can almost rule this out):

1) When initially setting up my device for the first time, the SIM connected to LTE, but got empty bars (see photo - not "no service" and no bars...empty bars) and could not place calls

2) Went through the process of calling the various settings codes - PRL, etc. (##873283# and  ##25327#), but still experienced the same issue

3) I eventually decided to turn on Wifi calling (Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling) and eventually got bars and could now call...even when turning my phone's Wi-Fi off or being away from a Wi-Fi spot

4) Despite this success, it would still periodically go back to the no bars, no calling, but working LTE data scenario -- seems to happen when I leave a previous Wi-Fi spot, etc.

5) When it does revert back to the problem of having no calling and empty bars, I can typically fix the issue by turning on airplane mode and then turning it off again -- forcing the phone to connect to the tower

6) When I have bars, I can get it to revert to no bars and working LTE by turning off Wi-Fi calling.

I thought this was initially a bad SIM, so got another SIM, called a Sprint tech and had them set up the new SIM for my device, but continue to experience the same issue on the new SIM.

Also, I talked with Apple Support and they confirmed that the phone is unlocked and should work for Sprint. They reviewed the symptoms and verified that it is a Sprint issue and that they need to properly fix the provisioning.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tim

IMG_0228.PNGNotice the empty bars, but LTEIMG_0229.PNGI did this Internet search using LTE but notice the empty bars

19 REPLIES 19
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Bad iPhone XR Provisioning - Apple support notes it’s a Sprint Issue

How long have you had your new phone for? Has it not worked in any areas that you've been in at all?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

I’ve used it since about Christmas. LTE seems to always/more often than not work. Calling/SMS is another story — these seem to work in the Chicagoland area (suburbs - Crystal Lake 60012) as long as Wi-Fi calling is turned on. Again, I don’t need to be in a WiFi area, I just have to have that setting under Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling turned on. If I turn it off, I get empty bars but working LTE. I went on a weekend trip to Champaign, IL (at the University of Illinois) and had working LTE, but empty bars. When in a hotel, I turned on Wi-Fi calling, connected to Wi-Fi, and briefly got bars, but that was inconsistent.

Is this the same XR that one of our teammates was helping you on around the middle of December? Was this phone purchased through Sprint?

Journeyman

Same iPhone XR. I bought it online, but not through Sprint. Using it on the BYOD. I only had the assistance for a while until I figured out it would work with Wi-Fi calling turned on. Only recently figured out that it was still sketchy when I went to Champaign for the weekend (had LTE but no calling). Narrowed down issue via trial and error.

Okay, I am having someone check into something else for me on what it could be. It could be a Monday before I reach a answer on what we should do, but we are looking into this. 

Journeyman

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Hey Tim. We had to send this along to Apple to make an update behind the scenes. We will drop you a line here once we hear back from them, which should be fairly soon (I'd say within the next business day or sooner).

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Thanks so much for looking into this Smiley Happy
Journeyman

Thanks again for your help, Greg. Any update, yet?

Hey Tim, nothing at this point. Still waiting to hear back from Apple. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Thanks. I trepidaciously can report that it may be fix (fingers crossed). I was able to turn off WiFi calling and now no longer get empty bars - I get bars and can call. I’ll have to test if it can connect when further away from Chicago in my next trip. Thanks. Smiley Happy
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat