Bad iPhone XR Provisioning - Apple support notes it’s a Sprint Issue
Here's an issue for a savvy Sprint tech that I've been dealing with since I got my iPhone XR. My connection to the network is inconsistent even in good coverage areas. The symptoms seem to suggest either a bad network setup for my device/SIM or a bad device (but it's new, I'm on the latest iOS software - 12.1.2 - and has been happening only on Sprint, so I feel I can almost rule this out):
1) When initially setting up my device for the first time, the SIM connected to LTE, but got empty bars (see photo - not "no service" and no bars...empty bars) and could not place calls
2) Went through the process of calling the various settings codes - PRL, etc. (##873283# and ##25327#), but still experienced the same issue
3) I eventually decided to turn on Wifi calling (Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling) and eventually got bars and could now call...even when turning my phone's Wi-Fi off or being away from a Wi-Fi spot
4) Despite this success, it would still periodically go back to the no bars, no calling, but working LTE data scenario -- seems to happen when I leave a previous Wi-Fi spot, etc.
5) When it does revert back to the problem of having no calling and empty bars, I can typically fix the issue by turning on airplane mode and then turning it off again -- forcing the phone to connect to the tower
6) When I have bars, I can get it to revert to no bars and working LTE by turning off Wi-Fi calling.
I thought this was initially a bad SIM, so got another SIM, called a Sprint tech and had them set up the new SIM for my device, but continue to experience the same issue on the new SIM.
Also, I talked with Apple Support and they confirmed that the phone is unlocked and should work for Sprint. They reviewed the symptoms and verified that it is a Sprint issue and that they need to properly fix the provisioning.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Okay, I am having someone check into something else for me on what it could be. It could be a Monday before I reach a answer on what we should do, but we are looking into this.
Hey Tim. We had to send this along to Apple to make an update behind the scenes. We will drop you a line here once we hear back from them, which should be fairly soon (I'd say within the next business day or sooner).