cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send or receive MMS messages when both WiFi and LTE are enabled.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can’t send or receive MMS messages when both WiFi and LTE are enabled.

My family all has iPhones and I just recently noticed that we cannot send or receive MMS messages when both LTE data and WiFi are enabled.  I have found that the only way to send and receive MMS while our phones are connected to WiFi is by downgrading the cellular data connection to 3G.  When WiFi is turned off our phones will send and receive MMS using LTE just fine.  I have combed through settings, tried enabling WiFi calling, reset my network settings, and even done a complete reset on my phone, but the problem persists.  I have called and talked to tech support, but they insist that the phone and network are working fine and that the solution is to turn off WiFi.  That strikes me as an unacceptable answer. In 2020, there’s no reason that having WiFi enabled should stop you from receiving MMS messages. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
GrandMaster

MMS  when it comes to Apple devices must use mobile data in order to send (even if you are connected to wifi/WFC)..not sure what is messing up on yalls side though..does this happen at all wifi locations though or just while at home or near a specific area?

Android phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) is supported on select devices in Wi-Fi Calling mode. Depending on the device manufacturer and messaging client, cellular coverage is required for MMS. For example, devices with the Android Messages client requires cellular coverage for MMS.

iOS phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) requires cellular coverage. Apple's iMessage to other iOS devices is supported over Wi-Fi.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-wi-fi-calling.html

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

My mobile data is always on, so the messages should come through.  I think the problem is our phones are picking the wrong data network (WiFi) to try to send/receive MMS.  It’s really odd that 3G plays nice with WiFi, but neither LTE setting (VoLTE On or Off) does.  Unfortunately, there is no iPhone setting that allows you to tell your phone to always use your cell data plan to deal with MMS.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Yeah, you are correct, the device should get MMS while connected to wifi.  In the background, it would drop to mobile, to send/receive the MMS.  Has it always did this or is this something new?

Highlighted

Something new.  Didn’t do it for about the first three weeks I had the phone.

Highlighted

Interesting..I’m currently visiting my in-laws in Madras, OR and can send and receive MMS on their WiFi with LTE enabled.  I’m curious if it will work when I get home. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did it work when you got home? I am experiencing the same problem, starting about 2 weeks ago.

wifi + 3G only : MMS works.

wifi + LTE : MMS fails

no wifi + LTE: MMS works.

I had a long chat with sprint support that didn't amount to anything; they claim that it's perfectly normal behavior.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It was fixed at first, then the problem came back.

Highlighted

Problem fixed. Didn’t do anything to fix it so definitely on their end, they just didn’t want to admit there was a problem. Hopefully it doesn’t come back. You?

Highlighted

You're still having these issues? Have you tried visiting a store and getting the device checked out? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like hardincentral, the combination of LTE+wifi is now working properly (I'm using Wif and cellular data over LTE at the same time). In the same way, I made no changes to my phone (aside from re-enable LTE to confirm operations).

I also hope that it just continues to work at this point.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat