cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Financial Responsibility” switched unexpectedly

Highlighted
Journeyman

“Financial Responsibility” switched unexpectedly

I bought an iPhone from a third party. I checked the IMEI before buying and it showed as eligible and did not have any financial responsibility attached. It even passed and showed it could be sold on Swappa. I called Sprint to ask for an unlock (who said the process would take several days) and began using it. After checking back, it now said it was financially ineligible. I checked back with the seller and they confirmed it was paid off as it had showed when I purchased it from them. Talking with the Sprint rep on the phone, they claimed it switched because I am now using it on the BYOD plan which is unable to update for two years but could be unlocked if I switched to a different phone. Is this a reason why it would show as “financially” ineligible?? It doesn’t compute. Might a sprint tech have accidentally messed up the phone when processing the unlock?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for your help!! Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: “Financial Responsibility” switched unexpectedly

Hi there! Is this the iPhone Xr I was trying to help with last week?

Hello! No. That one is still unable to call (still waiting for a new SIM to arrive in the mail). This one is the iPhone 7 Plus I was using before. I spoke with some reps for like 45 minutes yesterday who assured me that the device is fully paid off and they are now going through the process of unlocking it so I can sell it to a broader market. Thanks for your feedback, though. 

By by the way, I did see a blog on reddit where some individuals experienced similar issues to my XR activation here (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/9hsgy8/sprint_iphone_xs_xs_max_failed_...). They seemed to have similar issues (only partially working - either with data or voice only working) and found success either with a new physical SIM or a rep “switching” the sim in the account and then switching it back to match the physical sim already in the device (you can see this worked for the final posted in the thread).

Do you think that might work to bring voice online for my XR? Thanks so much for your help!!

Here’s a quote from the blog:

Keep in mind I upgraded 2 lines with Iphone 10 x max. 1 line updated after these ##update# immediately. 2 days later the other line still wasn't updating after hours spent with sprint support. Anyways so I called the number suggested in this blog (888) 206-3585... He got it updated on his end by swapping out the SIM on his end. I asked him about updating via itunes or taking the sim out manually and he said no that isnt going to work. So anyways thanks for this blog it helped up a lot and I suggest calling the number first. He said not to keep hitting ##update# because it actually showed all these back logged requests pending on my account and possibly delaying the update actually going through.”

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

The SIM Swap should get you going on the Xr.  If you've got a support ticket in for the unlock of the iPhone 7, those are usually worked pretty quickly and completed within 1-2 business days.  

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat