cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Messaging suddenly not working

Highlighted
Journeyman

Group Messaging suddenly not working

I've been sending and receiving group messages for years on iphones and I've never had any issues until 3 days ago. I use the feature regularly for both work and personally. Out of nowhere, I've seemed to have lost the ability to send and receive group messages when not at home. While I'm at work all day anything I try to send fails, and I don't get any either. Then when I get home, I suddenly receive a day's worth of group messages. I can still send individual texts to the same people in the group messages and it will work anywhere, iphone or android, but the group messages always fail. I thought it was possibly some sort of issue with cellular vs wifi, so it would work at home when I connected to my wifi. I don't connect to the wifi at work normally, but I just tried that and the message send still failed.

I have the 128 gb iPhone XR. It's up to date with IOS 12.2. The phone is only a month old. I have the SERO 500 plan so text and data are unlimited. I haven't seen any similar issues and their network seems to be working for everyone else the most part. I've tried restarting multiple times, cellular data is on, imessage is on(tried both ways), "Send as SMS" is on(tried both ways), MMS messaging is on(tried both ways) and group messaging is on. I've tried deleting the group messages and deleting all messages. 

I'm stumped. Any insight on this issue?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Group Messaging suddenly not working

Hey Geo83. Are you getting any errors when trying to send out the group messages or is it just failing to send and giving you the generic error. And just to be clear, this is only happening when away from home? 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Just the Generic "Message Send Failure" with the red exclamation point and the "Try again" option. As far as I can tell it is only not working away from home although I'd have to test that for sure tonight. I just notice everyday when I get home around 4pm I get a flood of group messages, and I've been able to respond. I haven't really tried it multiple times all evening so I suppose it's possible it's not working consistently at home either. 

Note: About an hour and half ago while trying to figure this out, I randomly got a flood of group texts while sitting here at work. I hadn't made any changes to anything when it happened. I was able to send one out, and now I'm back to not being able to send or receive them. 

Since then, I've also tried resetting my network settings on the phone and that didn't help either.

Let's try updating your data profile as well and see if that helps anything out. Try dialing ##873283# and let us know if that helps anything. 

Journeyman

Okay I just tried that a couple times and restarted again. I did get the "Starting Service Update" prompt and hit OK. I don't seem to be getting anything that says it's finished but I did notice the "LTE" icon in the top right disappears and reappears. Not sure if I have to wait longer for that to complete. As of now though, I still get message failed when I try a group message. 

OK. Thanks for giving that a shot. 'm going to send you a private message and get some additional info so I can access your account and try to send through some refreshers. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat