cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone XS Max, disable LTE = decent reception

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Iphone XS Max, disable LTE = decent reception

Customers hate when I tell them this, but don't pay attention to the bars.  I know it sounds like an A-hole thing to say but there is a method to the madness.  Current devices have one chip which does everything, voice and data.  The bars being displayed are currently what the device is doing.  It is not the overall signal, just the signal for what it is doing.  For example, you get a text, phone drops to the voice channel (bars change) to get text.  Text is received, it goes back to nest in LTE (bars change), waiting on a page.  Traffic is heavy in 2.5GHz so it load balances to 1.9GHz (bars change).  A call comes through, jumps down to voice channel (bars change).  You have this also coupled with different thresholds of bar displays (e.g. 1-5 bar display is different for voice vs LTE vs 3G).

Naturally, folks call in or post on here, "My service sucks because the bars are jumping all over the place!!!".  Which is a valid argument because in the past, all bars were created equal and they do not have the luxury of knowing that I have.  So, I am not blaming or calling the customer.

So, I will ask what I ask every customer...ignore the bars...what is it that your phone is doing or not doing?  Slow data?  Dropped calls?  

@Chrbrown30 wrote:
Esim

Highlighted
Journeyman

Welcome to my world since upgrading phones
But Apple claims it is not a problem.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Issue is ultimately poor voice quality and dropped calls. That said it does seem to improve when I turn off LTE.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Do you have VoLTE turned on?  PM me your phone number and address where you have the problem and I will check it out.

@Chrbrown30 wrote:
Issue is ultimately poor voice quality and dropped calls. That said it does seem to improve when I turn off LTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I’ve previously provided this info.

Yes I have VoLTE enabled and the issues occur regardless of where I am at (home, work, driving, etc.)
Highlighted
Community Manager

You provided to me?

If you are in a poor or compromised LTE area and with VoLTE on, that would contribute to the issues you mentioned.

@Chrbrown30 wrote:
I’ve previously provided this info.

Yes I have VoLTE enabled and the issues occur regardless of where I am at (home, work, driving, etc.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not to you, but to Cat_Sprint.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Out of curiosity, let me have a look.  PM me.

@Chrbrown30 wrote:

Highlighted
Community Manager

I  got your PM and have responded.

@Chrbrown30 wrote:

Journeyman

Was there a resolution that worked? We switched to Sprint 4 days ago with a Iphone 11 and XR, and we have static on the lines, and dropped calls in a highly populated area of Tampa.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately no.  I’ve been told multiple towers near us are down (but never told they’re fixed) and the reception remains disappointing.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@Dmenko PM me the problem address and you phone number and I will have a look.

@Chrbrown30 I just looked and those sites are still down.  I'm shocked because they have been out for awhile.  I reached out to network to see what's up.  

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat