cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone XS Max, disable LTE = decent reception

Journeyman

Iphone XS Max, disable LTE = decent reception

Just bought an iPhone XS and XS Max, and moved to Sprint. My reception is HORRIBLE (1 bar) until I disable LTE.  Once I do that, it jumps to 3 or 4 bars.  Apple blames Sprint, I believe it's Apple's issue due to the new modems (they switched from Qualcomm to Intel).

In any case, Apple won't help me until I engage with Sprint.  Is anyone else having the same experience? (Based on the threads it appears so.). Can anyone else reproduce this "solution?"

35 REPLIES 35
Wizard

Re: Iphone XS Max, disable LTE = decent reception

Good Morning Chrbrown30. I'll be more than happy to look into the towers in the area.  May I have a couple cross streets, and the zip? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Zip: 85249

Cross Streets: S. Arizona Avenue (AZ-87) and E. Chandler Heights Road

Wizard

Thanks for the info. Give me a few mins to look into these areas. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Wizard

After looking into this area, I see that the coverage should be good. So I checked the towers, and there are a few towers with an open service alert. Our tower teams have been notified, and deployed. Resetting the network setting can help. To complete this on an Apple device, please follow the steps below: 
1. Tap Settings.
2. Tap General.
3. Scroll up and tap Reset.
4. Change to Reset Network Setting

Let's give the reset a try, and let me know if the service improved. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

Already did that before engaging Apple; exact same results.

Wizard

Are you able to receive calls when not in the 85249 area? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

Yes.  This isn't a matter of not receiving calls; rather, it is the quality of reception (# of bars / not dropping calls).

Again, if I turn OFF LTE, the # of bars jumps from 1 or 2 to 3 or 4.  The minute I enable LTE (data or data+voice), the bars return back to 1 or 2.

Wizard

I understand Chrbrown30. There are a few towers in your area that have open service alerts. I'm needing to know if the issue moves with you. If it does, then it's most likely the phone that is having an issue. If the issue doesn't follow you, then it may be due to the towers in your area. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

Sorry; the issue moves with me as I never get above 2 bars regardless of physical location.  For example, I travel to 85755 and 85718 with the same issue.

This is also true for my wife's iPhone XS (I have the XS Max).

Wizard

OK. Then it sounds like it's more likely to be a device related issue, since it's moving around with you, and that it's effecting both phones on the account. 

Do you know if any Android users are having trouble in these areas? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Journeyman

The friends I have at work who use Android do NOT have this issue.  As a reminder, this didn't happen on my iPhone 6+ or my wife's 6s prior to upgrading.  As you are likely aware, Apple changed who they used for modem chips (Qualcomm prior to the X-series phones; now Intel), which I personally believe is the issue -- specifically the software driving the modems.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat