cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Cannot Figure Out How To Unlock My iPhone

Go to solution
Journeyman

Sprint Cannot Figure Out How To Unlock My iPhone

I asked for an unlock on Friday, which I was told was submitted. No luck. I asked for an unlock again and again over the following days. I have heard a number of assurances that my phone was unlocked for domestic and international use and then a number of promises when I informed them that it wasn't. At the same time, I also reached out yet again to someone who again assured me that the phone was unlocked when, in fact, it clearly was not. They are supposedly working to address this now for the nth time, stating that they had to relock the phone and then unlock it again. This process could take up to 48 hours apparently--that puts me at close to a full week without the use of this phone or the associated phone line which I transferred out last Friday. 

Can someone please shepherd this through? Based on some of the responses and successfully resolved issues, it looks like you are the only competent people in the whole organization. I can provide the incident number and the IMEI.

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Sprint Cannot Figure Out How To Unlock My iPhone

Typically the requests for an unlock can take up to 48 hours. The device has to be powered on, connected to WiFi, and have the Sprint SIM in the phone in order for the signal to come through. Sometimes it can look like the phone is unlocked if we sent out a signal, even if it wasn't received by the device.

I'd be glad to take a look at this for you and see what we can do to get this request expedited. I'll shoot you a PM so that I can get a bit more info in order to check in on things for ya. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

This still hasn't been done. Again, I haven't been able to use this phone or line since Friday afternoon. Please let me know that this is being fixed and explain why on Earth it has taken so long.

It is a straight practice to lock a phone when I didn't buy it from you, finance from you or otherwise give you any claim to this device.

If I hear it'll take 48 hours again, I'm going to lose it. It's a **bleep** signal that gets sent to Apple, right?

Journeyman

As a further update, I still haven't got my iPhone unlocked. As of today, this person says that her team says that it came onto the Sprint network unlocked and that I should work with my "previous carrier" to unlock it. I told her there was no old carrier; it was bought brand new from Best Buy and activated immediately on Sprint. 

So, a week and a half later, I am no closer to a resolution. Given all this, I ended up buying a new iPhone last Friday from Apple (identical to the one I am trying to unlock) which worked immediately with my new carrier (using the same SIM I was trying to use in my locked iPhone).

Maybe they'll figure it out eventually; although, I have my doubts. In the meantime, thanks Sprint for being so wonderful.

Hi there. Your original phone you messaged us about had to have a setting updated by Apple so that it can be unlocked. I checked and they have completed this. You will have to plug the iPhone into your computer and restore the device as new so that the update can take place and the unlock can be completed. You can drop us a message here after that's taken care of from your end and we can help wrap things up here. 

Journeyman

I just tried to "restore and update" using iTunes. Upon inserting my SIM, I still got the same dreaded "SIM Not Supported" message. Third-party websites still show the phone as SIM locked; although, I haven't checked back in with Apple at this point to confirm. 

Chubby - to confirm, you would need to "restore as new" via iTunes. The steps can be found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Journeyman

I've been doing a full wipe/factory reset using the steps provided by the Apple tech with whom I spoke. This puts the device in recovery mode, wipes it, then "restores and updates" to the latest iOS using iTunes. At any rate, I'll try this other method as well. 

Let us know once it's complete. It needs to restore as new so that the update from the Apple techs can take place and the unlock can be completed. 

Journeyman

I just tried the regular "Restore" through iTunes outlined in that link. The same result: "SIM Not Supported" when I placed my new SIM in the phone. Are you able to verify with Apple that the phone is unlocked? It doesn't seem that your systems are reliable in obtaining device status. Until and unless Apple verifies it's unlocked, we are just going to be spinning our wheels.

Send us a PM with IMEI of your phone please.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

I sent this to OldGreg before, but I'll send it to you as well. As I said, I'll just wait until someone confirms with Apple that the phone has been unlocked.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat