Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Refusing to Unlock My Paid iPhone

Go to solution
Journeyman

Sprint Refusing to Unlock My Paid iPhone

I have an iPhone 11 Pro that I bought outright from Apple (unlocked) about a month ago. I'm attempting to switch to another carrier and Sprint is refusing to unlock my phone. I talked to a couple of reps that said it could be escalated to another department for resolution in two to three business days. The tech support operations manger told me that was incorrect and I would have to wait another 30 days (spanning two billing cycles.). Is there any way I can my phone back from Sprint sooner? I feel like I'm being held hostage. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

thx-sprint,  I am one of the Community Managers here. You've been provided with the information that we have available. As you probably can understand, there are some things, the logic behind business decisions being one, that may not be shared with front line agents (that's Carlos and Kryshna, or even corporate employees like me. 

Not to put these guys down because they're very good, they're very smart and they know what they know, but the person scooping ice cream at 31 Flavors doesn't know why it's not 32 Flavors because someone somewhere made that decision and it's generally not a thing shared all the way down to the front line.  But front line they are, as in firing squad, as in they take a lot on their shoulders trying to deliver the best customer experience that they can. I ask that you be understanding that they've given you what info they have.

As the questions we are able to answer have been answered and the appropriate expectation set, I'm going to lock the thread.  if you have questions about how and why I'm allowed to do that, please acquaint yourself with our guidelines.  If you have a new, separate issue that requires assistance from an agent, you're free to search for that answer and either comment in a thread or create a new discussion. 

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Sprint Employee

Hello! Let me take a look into the account and see what's going on. Send me the account holder's name, phone number, security PIN or the answer to the security question along with the IMEI of the phone. Click on my name and select "send a message". 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care

I sent a direct message to @Sprint_Kryshna, We should probably keep this the public forum as well to help otherS facing the same issue. Can you please list some reasons a device owned outright by a customer would be denied an unlock?

Sprint Employee

I've received your private message, and replied. To help you, your Sprint account information must be sent in a private message for security purpose. To answer your question, one of the reasons may be that your account is not up to date, and may have a past due balance, that the device must be active for more than 50 days. You can see more details in our unlock successful thread here 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care

@Sprint_Kryshna  Thanks for the explanation and the link to the documentation! Follow up question, why does the device need to be active on the Sprint network for 50 days? I’ve been searching and I can’t seem to find a justification for requiring the device to be on a Sprint network for a period of time.

I get what you're saying and it is a valid question. We need to follow a procedure and the 50 days requirements is part of our unlock policy and all the requirements must be met before unlocking a phone. The 50 days are mainly because this is the time frame the device and the network take to receive updates and function properly in our CDMA network, so when the customer request to have the device unlocked, it can work successfully. 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care

What sort of updates. 50 days seems like an crazy amount of time for you backend systems to update? 

If cancel my service can I get my phone unlocked?

@Sprint_Kryshna 

That is the time frame needed to have the phone unlocked, based in our our unlock policy. Every carrier has their requirements, policy and procedure to follow. If you cancel your service, then you'll have an inconvenience since the device must be active for 50 days. 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care

If you cancel your service, then you'll have an inconvenience since the device must be active for 50 days. 

Can you please clarify that statement? Does that mean Sprint will continue to lock my phone until I reactivate and pay them for additional service? Is it continuous?

Saying everyone else does it is not provide justification or reason. 

@Sprint_Kryshna 

Sure @thx-sprint, we can clarify that! The phone needs to meet the 50 day activation requirement on the Sprint network, meaning if the phone is deactivated before 50 days, it won't be eligible to be unlocked. 

Carlos
Sprint Social Care

@Sprint_Carlos @Sprint_Kryshna 

Ok, I hear you. Does it have to be 50 straight days?

And back my second point, saying everyone does this is not a justification or reason.

It sounds to me like you're trying to make the point that this is a technical requirement. I cannot believe any modern computing process takes 50 days. 

@thx-sprint, it doesn't need to be 50 days straight, but we may require some info to validate the phone had 50 days on the Sprint network. 

An activation frame is required, and it is a carrier policy.

Carlos
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat