ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint incorrectly blocked my IMEI

Journeyman

Sprint incorrectly blocked my IMEI

I recently switched one of my Sprint line's to another carrier (still have another active line).  Before I did this, I paid the remaining lease balance and the purchase option price in full ($185.43 on 5/27/19).  Once I made the payment, I requested for Sprint to unlock the device (iPhone 8).  Sprint confirmed the request and it was unlocked within a few hours. 

After I confirmed the device was unlocked, I proceeded to successfully activate the device with the new carrier (6/1/19).  However, at some point today the device was not getting any service.  No matter the location.  I popped the sim out and put it in another unlocked device (non-sprint) I have and it worked fine.  At that point I figured there was an issue with the device itself.  However, I called the new carrier to confirm this and they told me that the device's IMEI has been blocked by Sprint for being lost/stolen.  I verified this by doing a simple IMEI check online which confirmed what the other carrier stated (see screenshot below). 

Finally, I proceeded to call Sprint Tech support which has been an absolute nightmare.  No one can help me.  Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the device shows unlocked.  I agree that the device is unlocked.  However, the IMEI is blocked! Two different things!  Can someone please help me before I have to cancel my other Sprint line as well????

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 8.58.22 PM.png

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sprint incorrectly blocked my IMEI

I'm happy to review the previous account and the IMEI, to determine why the phone is showing ineligible. I'm going to send you a private message to get the information needed.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I have the same issue bought my iphone x at an apple store and my carrier is AT&T apparently something strange happened it's been going on now for 2 weeks I can't use my service to find out the reason why SPRINT blocked my device as it was reported stolen which is way too odd the phone is always on my possession and I am not an SPRINT customer on the first place. Please help! 

Hi Chai. I'd be glad to take a look into this for you and see what's going on, but I'll need some additional info from you in private. I'll be sending you a PM now to get more info. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I have the same problem! I have been so patient and have called and messaged so many times. Sprint reps and the compliance department keep telling me that the phone was blocked because it was associated to an identity theft complaint. They've even suggested I go back to Apple. But the facts are as follows:

1. I've had the phone since February and it got blacklisted in May (already in my possession and I never lost it or misplaced it).

2. I have the receipt that proves I own the phone (and have sent it to several Sprint reps).

I went to a Sprint store and asked how do phones get reported. They said they have to key in a number. I wonder if someone reported another IMEI and the person taking the report made a typo? Not sure if this is the case actually.

Any other suggestions welcome because it's been months of the back and forth and me being patient about it.

Journeyman

Hi,

I am sorry to tell no one will help us out, I even went a sprint store showed my proof they helped me out to talked to fraud dept but they wont remove my device from being blocked now I do have a useless phone.

Journeyman

Oh wow! A sprint person suggested I could do that (take the receipt to the store with my ID so they can call Fraud). I'll give it a shot anyway but I agree with you. We buy an expensive phone from Apple and never even choose to use Sprint, and they somehow have the authority to block our devices? It is crazy.

Journeyman

Yes! absolutely crazy I even have an apple customer relation helping me out but the thing they cant do anything on their end because it was sprint who blocked my device they are the only one who can unblocked it! Please keep me posted if they are able to help you out. 

Hi Lamia. If you want to send me a PM with the IMEI of the phone, I'd be glad to take a look at what is going on with it in our system and see if I can shed any additional light on things. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

I have the same issue bought my iPhone 7 plus in 2016 at an apple online and my carrier is Tmobile apparently something strange happened it's been going on now for 1 week I can't use my service to find out the reason why SPRINT blocked my device as it was reported stolen which is way too odd the phone is always on my possession and I am not a SPRINT customer on the first place. Please help

also, I have the receipt for phone and also I have contacted so many times in customer care and sprint store, Request you to unblock my IMEI so that I can make calls and use my phone if you need any supporting documentation to verify the Please let me know

Sprint Social Care

8586966941ab

Hey! You state that purchased the phone at Apple online, by any chance, have you tried to get in contact with Apple? Send me the IMEI of the phone. Click on my name and select "send a message". 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat