Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint website and customer care is saying the IMEI of my new phone is invalid

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint website and customer care is saying the IMEI of my new phone is invalid

Current phone on Sprint is an iPhone 6s.  I bought a used iPhone 8 Plus from a co-worker.  It is carrier-unlocked.  I want to move my service from the 6s to the 8 Plus. I went yesterday and got a new SIM card from my local Sprint Store and inserted it into the 8 Plus.

When I go to Activate the 8 Plus online, I enter in the IMEI number and it gives me the message "This number is invalid. Please try again."  I've triple-checked that I'm entering it correctly.  I called Sprint Customer Care, and they get the same error message when trying to enter the IMEI.  They say they can't help me.

I ran the IMEI through IMEI.info and it shows as valid and carrier unlocked.  Any idea what's going on? How can I get this phone working on my Sprint account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

What carrier was the phone purchased from? Please review our BYOD information here: ANSWER: Is My Phone Eligible for BYOD with Sprint?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

What carrier was the phone purchased from? Please review our BYOD information here: ANSWER: Is My Phone Eligible for BYOD with Sprint?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Red!

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The phone was originally used on AT&T.  According to the link you sent, it's not supported.  So I guess "Carrier Unlocked" doesn't truly mean carrier unlocked (for all 4 carriers) then!

Thanks for your help.  Guess I either have to switch to AT&T or use this phone as a really expensive iPod.

Highlighted

It actually isn't due to an unlock. It's due to the hardware between the two carriers. Sprint is a CDMA network and AT&T is GSM.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat