cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Sprint with BYOD iPhone X and can't send MMS

Journeyman

Re: Switched to Sprint with BYOD iPhone X and can't send MMS

@fireguy_6364 I was able to send MMS messages when I put the SIM card in a new iPhone 7 and skipped all of the initial setup and restore options. Once I restored the phone from a backup, the issue came back.

The backup is not the issue because I had the MMS issue before the restore. Here's the chronological order:

• Use phone with Mint Mobile (MMS works fine)
  • Switch to Sprint BYOD and put in their SIM card (Can no longer send MMS)
  • Backup, erase, then restore phone (Cannot send MMS)
  • Set up phone as new without restore or signing into Apple (Can send MMS)

GrandMaster

right here. something is happening once you restore the phone..the problem is trying to figure out what though. the agent might have some other ideas but to me i would try signing back into only one of those first..maybe signing back into apple and see if you can still send MMS..if you can THEN do a restore..if you loose sending MMS then its something that the restore is bringing back into the phone...its still using Sprint prior to the restore and prior to signing back into Apple..its whats happening once one or both of those together happen that is killing the MMS...the problem is WHAT its changing once you restore/sign back in.

@joshkraemer wrote:
  • Set up phone as new without restore or signing into Apple (Can send MMS)

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@fireguy_6364 Thanks. I had the MMS issue before I erased and restored the phone. The issue started as soon as I replaced the Mint Mobile sim card with the Sprint sim card (BYOD) after porting my number to Sprint and activating the new service. I'm afraid I may need to start over from scratch, maybe even create a new Apple ID. Unless Sprint or Apple has other ideas, I will need to erase my phone and NOT "restore" anything. I could sync the contacts from Google, and manually re-add the apps I have on the phone. I have messages stored in iCloud.

I was on Mint Mobile previously when I upgraded from IOS 11 to 12. Before IOS 12, I needed to manually set the MMS info on the phone. I'm thinking that these MMS settings (see below) something got stuck in the phone when I switched to Sprint. I don't know that for sure, because I can't see these settings anymore. Shouldn't a Network Reset clear these settings (like I've done several times with no success)?

Cellular Data

APN – alpha
Username – (leave blank)
Password – (leave blank)

MMS

APN – wholesale
Username – (leave blank)
Password – (leave blank)
MMSC – http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy – (leave blank)
MMS Max Message Size – 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL – http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
GrandMaster

that is getting into a realm i try to avoid like the plague lol. an agent will need to give the 411 on this one.

im firing off a pm to someone that can hopefully help or might have an idea. be back with you in a bit one way or another.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

I would have to agree, it's something in the Apple ID.  Yeah, we see this more often than not and when we have folks restore as new, the problem goes away. However, I've been able to fix some.  First sign out of iMessage and FaceTime.  Go to Setting - Messages - Send and Receive, tap your Apple ID then Sign Out.  Then Go to Settings - FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then Sign Out.  Then to Settings - Messages and everything that is "ON" swipe to "Off"  So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is on, swipe them all to off.  Power off the phone for 2 minutes.  Why?  We are trying to re-register your requests with the Apple servers.  Powering off the device for 2 minutes clears the cache on the device.

Now, we are going to do just the opposite.  Power the phone on and once fully booted, go to Settings - Messages and make sure that everything you turned off, you turn back on.   So if iMessage, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, Group Messaging, etc is off, swipe them all to on.  Then sign in to FaceTime and iMessage.  Then send an MMS.

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

that is getting into a realm i try to avoid like the plague lol. an agent will need to give the 411 on this one.

im firing off a pm to someone that can hopefully help or might have an idea. be back with you in a bit one way or another.

Journeyman

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am

I have not tried that exact combination, but I'll try it and post back the results. What if I am signed into a Mac laptop with the same Apple ID (using messages on Mac)? Will that affect things? I am not signed in to any other phone. Maybe Sprint and Apple could talk to each other about this issue?
GrandMaster

i think its more of a hiccup that from time to time happens when either switching carriers or switching from one apple device to another

Community Manager

Forgot to mention, yes you would need to sign out of everything that you are logged in with your Apple ID.

@joshkraemer wrote:
Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am

I have not tried that exact combination, but I'll try it and post back the results. What if I am signed into a Mac laptop with the same Apple ID (using messages on Mac)? Will that affect things? I am not signed in to any other phone. Maybe Sprint and Apple could talk to each other about this issue?

Journeyman

Hi @Em_Will_I_Am

Thanks for the help. I tried the steps you suggested, but I still have the issue where I can't send MMS. I think I'm going to start over from scratch, but I feel the issue may come back as soon as I sign in with my Apple ID.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Let us know if it fixes it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@joshkraemer I think you might be on to something with the MMS settings under network settings. I did try Google Fi for a day, and had to set those for that network as well. After that day, I was able to swap out my Verizon sim without a problem, but after making the jump to Sprint MMS is completely dead. It would be great if someone from Sprint could confirm.

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am I tried those exact steps and I still cannot send MMS.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat