cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking iPhone issues and misleading info

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unlocking iPhone issues and misleading info

I've dealt with the numerous support outlets without a successful outcome to unlocking an eligible iPhone purchased from a third party. I've been given copy/pasted guidelines that apparently the support personnel don't know or haven't read themselves. One such community rep told me that the device in question is eligible for unlock but Sprint doesn't auto-unlock devices, yet this is stated in the unlock policy:

Will Sprint notify me when my device is eligible to be unlocked/has been unlocked?
For postpaid customers with SIM unlock-capable devices, Sprint has chosen to simply unlock active eligible SIM unlock-capable devices without requiring our customers to initiate an unlock request. Once you meet the requirements outlined in the Unlock Policy, Sprint will automatically unlock your active eligible SIM unlock-capable device.

Now they ask for me to provide the previous owner's account information to request an unlock. When it should've of been unlocked had someone been doing their job instead of making excuses and holding phones hostage to keep former customers from using on other carriers. How does that make sense? Asking customers to do extra work that is nonsensical and unnecessary due to Sprints lack of fulfilling or following through on their own policy to auto-unlock the device? It's an inactive phone and has been, but Sprint finds an excuse for not unlocking by keeping the phone associated to the last customer. Why is it so hard to unlock a device? Sprint spends more time and energy finding excuse to not unlock devices instead of using common sense and practical standard operating procedures. I've also submitted a complaint with the FCC and wanted to post this on a public forum for other potential customer's to see and steer clear of Sprint. 

2 REPLIES 2
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Unlocking iPhone issues and misleading info

The reason we ask for the owner's information is to ensure the phone has been paid off and the account has a zero balance. We typically need the previous owner's permission to view the account information. It's a matter of privacy. That being said, we can sometimes use the IMEI of the phone to validate the unlock eligibility without having to go into the account. When purchasing from a third party, if it is an individual we recommend meeting them at a Sprint store to ensure unlock capability. 

If you are still needing help with unlocking your phone I can help you with it. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Re: Unlocking iPhone issues and misleading info

Megntron,

Thanks for the response and assistance, I've sent you a PM to address the issue.

V/r,

CJ

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat