cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone not unlocked even though Sprint says it is unlocked in their system

Highlighted
Journeyman

iPhone not unlocked even though Sprint says it is unlocked in their system

I've been dealing with Sprint for 3 days regarding my iPhone 7+ unlock status. I went into a Sprint Store and they told me to contact customer service. I get online to chat with support and they tell me it's unlocked, I tried to use a different carrier's active SIM and still did not accept it. I called the 800 number and they said they couldn't do anything on their end and to go to a Sprint Store and they'll be able to help. I tried to get help from a different store's employees and they insisted to contact the other carrier I'm trying to use for unlock support; which doesn't make sense because it's a SPRINT PHONE! They tried to sell me a phone after providing no help or support whatsoever. Okay! I get home and I call support at 1959 (7:59 p.m.) Pacific time and was told to call back during regular business hours for support by a recording. So, I get back online to chat and they tell me to call back the next day during regular business hours. Really? This is the kind of support Sprint wants to provide to external customers? A lasting impression as to why their customer base is shrinking and why they HAD to merge with T-Mobile to survive. Anyhow, I digress. This is so frustrating when they make you run around in circles trying to unlock a phone which is such a simple process. AT&T does this process right by using an unlock device request on their website. All you need is the IMEI and your contact information, it's all automated so the leg work is done by AT&T. Not the excuses and blame shifting you get from Sprint. Why would a new owner of a phone be required to have the previous subscriber's account information? They say they can't look into a subscribers account information, yet they expect perfect strangers to exchange account information if bought from a third party or an online market place. Would you give your account information to a stranger? Sprint claims to protect the customers privacy under the guise of security but wants their customers to give account information to users of other carriers. How does that make sense? In addition, I contacted the Facebook page and was directed to the unlock FAQ's and this forum. I've already read the unlock FAQ's and have been told the device is unlocked, I printed the chat and can provide it. So, now I'm trying this forum and will try chat & 800 number once again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I also bought a SIM kit from Best Buy because during the initial visit to the Sprint store I was told it needed to be able to get the signal from the Sprint network (which should still be possible from being on WiFi, but maybe still needed to retrieve the APN settings from Sprint network, so I obliged and it still didn't work) Please help, thank you!

V/r,

CJ

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: iPhone not unlocked even though Sprint says it is unlocked in their system

Sometimes when you buy a phone from a third party it can still be locked to the original carrier due to financial obligations. If a phone hasn't been paid off properly that phone doesn't have unlock capability. When you put the Sprint SIM into the phone, what error message are you getting? Is it saying "SIM locked" or is there an error code that pops up?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Hi Megntron,

Sprint is the original carrier and the phone is under no financial obligation. I bought the 3 in 1 SIM kit so it can communicate with the Sprint network because that's what one of the support outlets told me. I don't know how Sprint has the network settings configured, so I purchased the SIM kit and inserted it in the phone. It shows the Sprint network under the cellular options but doesn't have the APN settings in their respective fields. I bought and fixed the phone to sell. I've met 2 buyers at their carriers store to sell the iPhone only to find out it wasn't unlocked after being told by chat support it was. The third buyer was a Boost customer and I informed him of the issue with getting the phone unlocked and we both contacted Boost support which redirected me back to Sprint support. Being that Boost falls under Sprint and the IPhone 7 Plus is the version with both CDMA and GSM capability, its verified as  compatible device to use on Boost. However, it still needs to be unlocked for use on Boost. So, I lost that customer also. I contacted Facebook Sprint support and they finally submitted the unlock request for me. They continued insisting that the original device/account owner submit the unlock request. I bought it from OfferUp and Sprint told me to contact OfferUp to get the seller's info because the account isn't active any longer so there's no way to get a hold of him. I responded to their request with the same logic and privacy rules they use. If Sprint can't look into a customers/former customers account information to retrieve information, why would OfferUp violate the same privacy rules that Sprint is reluctant to provide me with? I guess that finally tipped the scales in my favor as I had already checked on Sprint's check IMEI/BYOD, imei24 and imeipro websites to check the blacklist status of the device before I bought it, which all showed clean status and not to mention  the chat support transcript that I still have of the Sprint support representative telling me the device is unlocked for use on other carriers before I bought it. To answer your last question, I get the error saying SIM not supported. The 3 in 1 SIM kit nano sims are accepted without an error, but I don't want to buy a plan to activate it just so I can sell it. I figured with the SIM card inserted it would receive the signal from the Sprint network. I've been connected to WiFi throughout the process, restarted the device and restored using iTunes with no luck. They didn't give me a ticket number to reference for the unlock request they submitted. I'll follow up in the morning with them to see if I can get one. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing or if you have any other inquiries about my issue. Thanks!

Wow okay you've been through a lot. Let me see what I can do. Will you send me the IMEI of your phone in a private message?

Journeyman

Hi Megntron,

They finally submitted the unlock request the last time I had posted in this forum. It was completed the following morning when I checked the phone. Yes, I have been through a lot but this was nothing in contrast when looking at it from a different perspective. It was a little frustrating at the moment but that's the result of persistence and patience, even though it was tried a bit, LOL. Thank you for your support. 

I’m so glad to hear this got resolved. Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat