cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 6 - contradictory information regarding lock status

Highlighted
Journeyman

iphone 6 - contradictory information regarding lock status

Hello, My aunt and uncle bought unlocked new iPhones to use on another Sprint-network carrier. My uncle passed and my aunt is giving me his phone (A1586). When trying to move to different carrier, I got the usual "SIM not supported" error. Her previous carrier says it's not locked and never has been, but Apple store techs have repeatedly confirmed that it is activation locked by Sprint. Please help me understand what is going on, Thank you!
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: iphone 6 - contradictory information regarding lock status

I'm not sure what is going on with that phone, but I'm happy to look into it. What carrier was the phone on? I'll send you a private message to get the IMEI from the device.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

I have a similar issue... iPhone X that says "SIM Not Supported" when I put another carrier SIM card in.  The original owner does not respond after telling me it was "paid off" and "unlocked".  Several interactions with Sprint Customer Service (chats and on telephone) have left me confused about how to proceed.  Please help!  Thanks!

I can take a look at your device and see if it's till showing up as locked. To clarify, was the phone originally on the Sprint network?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Yes it was.  I have gotten some conflicting info whether the original owner is still a Sprint customer (I was told once that the phone number is no longer active).    I know the previous owner's name and address, but not the account number. 

Thanks!  Bill

Okay I looked it up and it was on Sprint and is still locked to us. The previous owner would have to contact us to get the device unlocked as we have to make sure that phone is paid off and his account is in good standing. Unfortunately there's no way around this. Whether he is or is no longer a Sprint customer, it still hast to be him doing the unlocking. 

Journeyman

Thanks for looking up the info.  Since the previous owner is not responding to my contact attempts, I guess I am stuck with a non-working cell phone.   It seems odd that someone from Sprint cannot contact the previous owner to facilitate a resolution this problem.  I know the owner's name and address (which should be enough to find the account contact info).  If there is a small balance (residual?) to clear the phone, is it possible to be paid by someone else?

Plan B:  Can it be activated by a current/new Sprint customer if I am able to find a buyer?

Thanks, Bill 

Let me see what I can do. 

What is the previous owner's name and do you have the phone number he had on the device?

Journeyman

Just the name and address of the previous owner (not his phone number)...

Chase Merriman

Hammond, LA 70403

One of the Sprint stores I visited was able to locate the phone number and tried to call it but it was not an active number anymore.

Thanks!

Hey sorry can you send me the IMEI of your phone again?

Journeyman

Sure.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat