cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sprint-locked iphone xr on esim? foreign 2nd service

Highlighted
Journeyman

sprint-locked iphone xr on esim? foreign 2nd service

I am thinking of purchasing an iphone XR for two reasons.  first, our google pixel fails to do wifi calling, which we need because we live in the mountains.  this is awful.  does a non-Sprint locked iphone do wifi calling, or is this (or are other) features restricted to Sprint-locked iphones?

second, we often travel, so it would be very convenient to get a European SIM into the physical SIM slot.  this would mean that the Sprint-locked iphone would have to use the eSIM slot for Sprint, and the phone would have to allow me to use a third-party service outside the US in its standard physical SIM slot.

advice appreciated.

Ideally, while in Europe, it would preferentially be using the non-Sprint service, but still respond to texts and calls on the primary Sprint service.

is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: sprint-locked iphone xr on esim? foreign 2nd service

The iPhone XR supports the WiFi Calling service. When researching this, I didn't find anything that says it won't work with a BYOD version. 

I have limited knowledge on how the phone and the extra SIM works, when traveling. I would recommend speaking with our Sprint World Wide department for more information on how the SIMs work while out of the country. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

thanks.  I just looked on the apple website, and it does not list sprint as providing eSims.  the other big three do.  when is eSim support for iPhones coming?

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I apologize that I don't have a time for that utilization. My documents all say dual SIM will come in the future, but doesn't say when.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat