cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App of the Week – Storybook Apps for Kids

Journeyman

Written by Amy Johnsonbaugh.

The bookshelf in my 3-year-old daughter’s bedroom is overflowing with books. She has loved reading books ever since she was a baby and chewed on the brightly colored board books, which not only helped with teething but also taught her to speak. 

My husband and I still read her stories from traditional books, but now she also gets very excited to hear stories on my husband’s iPhone or my Android smartphone because they are interactive. With certain apps, like PlayTales (described below), she is able to tap on the screen to make toys or objects move and “come to life.” With iStoryBooks, the narrator’s voice is engaging because she changes the inflection for the various characters. Many stories also have beautiful illustrations and spark her imagination. These are a couple of her favorites:

PlayTales

Available for Android and iPhone: free download includes select books; additional books available for low price

PlayTales offers interactive books, traditional and classic, for toddlers and beginning readers. Similar to Kindle, there is a store to purchase books and a bookshelf that displays an image of the books you’ve purchased and the free books from initial download. I highly recommend, “Off to bed!,” “Moon Secrets,” and “Find the Teddy Bear.”

PlayTales Bookstore makes it easy for you or your kids to choose and download books.

• Demo what’s new BEFORE you buy.
  • Choose from a catalog of 40+ stories (Android) or 100+ stories (iPhone) for boys and girls ages 1-8+.
  • Fun music, narration, sound effects and interactive playable features in each book!
  • See what’s popular and rate the stories yourself.
  • Read and play with new stories every week!
  • 3 kinds of book reading options ‘Read by Myself,’ ‘Read to Me,’ and ‘Autoplay’

Top In-App Purchases

1. 1. The Three Little Pigs $1.99
  2. 2. Little Red Riding Hood $1.99
  3. 3. Crazy Farm $2.99
  4. 4. The Little Match Girl $0.99
  5. 5. Beauty and the Beast $1.99
  6. 6. Fairy Secrets $1.99
  7. 7. I want to be a... Pirate $1.99
  8. 8. Sleeping Beauty $1.99
  9. 9. Puss in Boots $1.99
  10. 10. The Little Mermaid $1.99

After Little Mermaid sentence.jpg

iStoryBooks

Available for Android and iPhone: free download includes select books, additional books available for low price

Cinderalla storybook.jpgA to Z animals.jpg

This app offers a wide variety of free books to choose from including children’s books, story books, bedtime stories, classic stories, folk stories, toddler books, preschool books, nursery school books, kindergarten books, fairy tales and picture books with accompanying audio of the text in each page.

• Books include text and audio.
  • Narrator reads the book aloud, or you can uncheck the “Read to Me” box to read the text on the screen.
  • “Movie mode” moves to the next page automatically, or you can choose to allow your little one or yourself to swipe the screen to move to next page.
  • New book published every 2 weeks.
  • Kids can enjoy these books on their own or you can read to them.

Popular books include:

Fairy Tales: Cinderella, Snow White

Animal Story Books:

• The Blue Fox
  • The Crow the Doves and the Mouse
  • The Mean Lion and the Smart Rabbit
  • The Crow, the Doves and the Mouse
  • Three Little Pigs

Folk Stories:

• Stone Soup
  • Little Red Hen
  • Little Red Riding Hood

Educational Books

• A to Z Animals, A fun book to learn alphabets with pictures of animals.
  • A to Z Fruits and Vegetables - Junior/Preschool/Yummy Riddles - A set of three books to learn alphabets with pictures of fruits and vegetables.
  • The World of Trucks - A fun book with pictures and engine sounds of Trucks of various sizes and shapes. Includes Fire Truck with siren and horn, Crane Truck, Garbage Truck, Tow Truck, Picukup Truck, Dump Truck, Road Train etc.
  • The World of Dinosaurs - Big and Small
  • National Monuments of America
  • Things that go - Book with pictures and sounds of cars, trucks, boats and ships.