cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it cost money to enable the Portable Wifi Hotspot on Optimus S?

SOLVED
Wizard

Does it cost money to enable the Portable Wifi Hotspot on Optimus S?

Howdy,

There is an option to enable the Portable Wifi Hotspot within the settings.  I would like to test it out, but don't want to get hit with some additional fee.  If I turn this function on, will I get charged by Sprint?  When I tap "help" it just says I can share the internet connection, but does not say is costs money.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Master

Re: Does it cost money to enable the Portable Wifi Hotspot on Optimus S?

Unless it is added/activated on your account it will do nothing if you turn it on. There is an additional $29.99 p/m in order to activate it, But you can from your account page add/remove it on an as needed bases and only be charged for the days activated at about $1 p/d.

Wizard

Thanks!  btw, where did you find this information?  I tried putting "hotspot" in the search field, and found nothing.  I tried looking at the "plans" section under the "shop" tab, and couldn't find it there either.  So I made this post.  I guess that's why you are a "master"!

I am interested in trying this feature out, checking which devices are compatible.  Like the Wii, another phone, or perhaps a tablet device.  I certainly don't want to pay $30 just to try it out.  Thanks for suggesting the On Demand option.

Master

IF you go to Shop>Phones and select the option on one of the phones that offer the HotSpot "Important Plan and 4G Coverage Info"  it states ""If you'd like to use your phone's Mobile Hotspot feature, don't forget to add our optional $29.99/mo. Mobile Hotspot add-on. "" Oddly enough though any mention of the hotspot price is not listed when you check the one for the Optimus, But it still applies.

As far as the Per-Day option, They do not tell you that and some reps will tell you it is not an option, But I know it can be done as I have done it and only got charged for the days I had it activated on my account. Last month was at inlaws and my neice wanted to download Angry Birds on her iTouch so I activated the hotspot for her to use, I left it untill the next morning before removing it and was charged $2 for 2 days, Even though it was less then 12 hours, So they must count it by the day/date, If I'd removed it before midnight I'd most likely only been charged for 1 day at $1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hi there, so basically its a $1 for 12 hours or 24 hours knowing its 2 days for 2 bucks and the full month is a charge of 29.99,  what are the coverage plan, like is it unlimited or is there a limit, to use the hotspot...

thanks so much..

Journeyman

From personal experience, I can say no, you do not need additional fees.

Wizard

Correct, you don't "need" the fee, as the the hotspot is easily activated without paying the additional fee.  However, according to the Sprint terms, it is against our agreement to tether unless we add a plan that includes tethering.  So, I suppose we just have to manage ourselves to not tether because the standard/nonrooted Optimus doesn't have enough controls to prevent tethering.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.