cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incognito Ringtones - HELP! :(

Highlighted
Journeyman

Incognito Ringtones - HELP! :(

Is it possible AT ALL to set a ringtone on the Sanyo Incognito, other than the preloaded ones?

I've tried subscription sites, bluetoothing, moving media from my pc, and even buying them from Sprint online. It just seems impossible.

Through the subscription sites, it sends you a link to an mp3 and you're supposed to be able to downloaded it. No success. If you follow the link sent, the incognito will play the clip, but there is no option ANYWHERE to download it.

My boyfriend sent me several ringtones via text to see if that would work and again, no. If you hover over the file, and click 'options' there is an 'assign' option. If you follow that through the assigning option settings(all incoming calls, contact, or unknown numbers, etc.) no matter what you choose it says 'Invalid Data Cannot Save.'

I moved two clips from my pc, and no matter where I put them, on the phone or on the memory card, there is no option to set or assign them as ringtones. Bluetoothing had the same result.

Also, if you go to the settings and then ringer menu, none of the media put on the phone shows up for you to set. Not in any of the folders.

Can anyone help me? =/

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Incognito Ringtones - HELP! :(

YES!  I CAN help you!  I too despaired when I first got my Incognito two days ago but to toot my own horn, I knew I was too smart to let this phone outwit me.  After some time-consuming research I discovered that almost all new Sanyo phones have removed the option to let you use mp3s as ringers in order to get you to have to BUY new ringers.  But we all know that even if we did want to pay 2.50 a ringer they aren't going to have specifically what we want like our kids saying "Mommy, answer the phone!" or that part of our favorite songs.  Sanyo has done this by not using the mp3 format for ringers.  They now use a Qcelp format or .qcp file extension.  But wait!  Even if you manage to get a sound file with the .qcp extension and text, email, data cable, SD card or even bluetooth it to your phone you WON'T BE ABLE TO ASSIGN IT!  That's right, they blocked that too.  The trick is that you have to download it from a browser page.  But what sites offer free ringers in .qcp format and will they have that special ringer you want? Well, here is where it gets fun.  You have several options.  YAY!

First, the easy way.  www.myxer.com has free user created ringtones that you can have sent and downloaded to your phone.  And because they are user created YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN from any mp3 on your computer and it will turn it into a .qcp and text you the link to download it!  HEHE.  This site also has free apps, games, and wallpapers that I am still sifting through to find great stuff.

Two, the hard way.  If you want to go to the trouble (or if myxer is ever shut down) you can do it the techie way.  Get a program that will convert audio files into .qcp format.  I'm sad to say that I haven't found any free ones yet (other than on myxer) but as desperate as we have been we were willing to do anything.  However, the programs usually only cost around $15 and from the demo I tried they worked really well.  Then you have to find a way to get it to your phone cause remember SD cards and texts don't work. http://rumkin.com/sprint/tools will allow you to upload wallpapers, mp3s, .qcp files, and even apps and games from your computer so that you can then "download" them with your phone and assign them as ringers or games.

I have used both ways and they work awesome.  The best however was the create your own through myxer.  So go play with it and see what you like.  I hope this helps.  ***Remember, if you don't have an unlimited data plan this could get expensive fast. It costs money to use the internet on your phone so remember the ringers are free but the browser use time on your phone isn't if you don't have a data plan!!!****

Journeyman

Last night I downloaded ringtones from myxer.com. All incoming calls are set to the ringtone that I downloaded. But everytime I get an incoming call the preloaded ringtones still go off, even though they are not set as the ringtone. I don't know how to fix this, since the ringtones I downloaded are in the right format, and are already set to my incoming calls. Anyone have a solution or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated

Journeyman

I have had that problem too.  the Incognito allows you assign ringers specifically to all contacts, unsaved numbers, and unknown/private.  when these have a ringer assigned to them it will override the default ringer you assigned for everything.  for instance, say you have "mom"'s ringer set to the happy days theme song but you have all contacts set to the cheers theme song and you have all saved contacts set to the leave it to beaver theme.  When your mom calls it will play happy days, when your dad calls (who is saved but doens't have a specific ringer) it will play cheers and when those pesky creditors call (who isnt saved cause who wants to saved THEM, right?) it will play the default ringer, leave it to beaver.  To change this go to your ringers under my stuff and pick which ringer you'd like for each of those categories (contacts, unsaved, unknown).  Hope that helps.

Journeyman

Thanks Meshbaugh. that fixed it.

Journeyman

Is there any way possible to get a ring tone on your incognito without the use of the phone browser?  I do not have a data plan and all sites are totally blocked so I can not download or access anything from the net.  I do have bluetooth on my computer as well as a data cord.  I have converted some tones to QCP and sent them to the phone by bluetooth but I have no option to assign.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Journeyman

Unfortunately the answer is no.  Here's why: The incognito uses the Sprint One Touch platform (the house toolbar at the bottom of the screen) as the phone's operating system.  The way the OS works is that it only allows you to assign media that has been downloaded into special folders in the phone's internal memory system (what you and I would call it's harddrive.)  When you download the ringer from anywhere on the internet the phone places it in the appropriate folder in your phone.  YOU CANNOT ACCESS THIS FOLDER and the only way to add stuff to it is through downloading from your phone browser.

[Note: There are programs and websites that offer to tell you how to or claim to be able to "crack" your phone and be able to access the internal harddrive to change the programming or add or remove media.  I do not recommend this for several reasons.  One, I'm pretty computer savvy and their instructions were all greek to me and Two, if you add or remove a file or programming code that shouldn't be there IT COULD REALLY F UP YOUR PHONE.  and as we all know if you take it back to Sprint cause you were messing with the internal stuff they're gonna laugh you out of the store.  It voids your insurance and you would lose all your contacts and possibly anything you've paid to download. ]

Text message, bluetooth, data cable, and SD cards do not work because you can't get the media (ie the ringer) into the correct folder on the phone. When you put the ringer on your phone it is in your phone but it doesn't go into that special folder that lets you assign it.  The OS will only let you access the "Assign" option for media in those special internal folders that you can't get to and can only add stuff to by browser download.  Even if it is in the correct .qcp format.  It's kind of a sneaky way to try and get people to have to buy from the Digital Lounge.  It sucks I know.  And unfortunately, most of Sprint's phones have the One Touch OS.  I think the Instinct and the Moment and all Blackberry's are the phones without the One Touch OS.  I actually returned the incognito and got the LG Lotus Elite and it works the exact same way as the incognito.  (For those of you wondering why the switch I got tired of having to press like 3 buttons to answer the freaking phone.  I loved the incognito except for the phone part and considering that's its major purpose it was kind of stupid to have a phone I couldn't use very well.)

I'm sorry this isn't easier for you.  Since your data has been blocked I would recommend switching to a phone that doesn't use the One Touch operating system, preferably one that uses an miniSD card and allows you to set mp3s as ringers.  I picked my new phone by heading over to the Sprint store and playing with the display models with my personal SD card until I found the one I wanted.  (And though the LG Lotus Elite has the One Touch OS that's ok for my needs cause I have unlimited data but you'll want to look at different phones.)  And if you just got the phone and are stuck with it for a two year contract you may want to consider buying a used or refurbished phone from eBay or Craigslist and then sell yours to cover the cost.  Hope this info helps.

Good luck!

Journeyman

I just wanted to say thanks to meshbaugh. I was so happy with my new incongnito but then realized they made it so I would have to BUY RINGTONES.

I know that sounds cheap but Cmon 2.50 for part of a song we all know those artists arnt starving ones. Anyway your post brightened my day thanks a whole heap.

Journeyman

FYI my husband just got his incognito today and I just found that you can download ringtones at funformobile.com  They're free and I've never had any problems there.  They had more of the popular ringtones and I found it to be better than myxer.

Journeyman

I want to say that this is the best response I have read on this subject on the entire net!! I have searched and searched all day trying to figure out why I couldnt get my MP3 to set as ringtones.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.