cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandora and Android Issue

Highlighted
Master

Pandora and Android Issue

Are you having problems with Pandora on your Android smartphone?  Read on and please report it to Pandora so they can get it fixed!

According to a number of users reporting through Google Play Store app reviews and through various user forums, many Android users are having problems getting Pandora to work properly over cellular (e.g. 3G, 4G, 4G LTE).  Many users encounter an error condition where the app is able to start up on a particular music channel even loading the artist/song information and then the app begins buffering the song where it gets to 1-2% then stalls.  After a few seconds (typically 15-30s), the app moves on to the next artist/song information without ever having played any music.  The version of Pandora that has been seen with this error is 1.6 and it is unknown if earlier versions are impacted.  A few iOS and Blackberry users were contacted and the error appears limited to Android at this time.  However, if you are an iOS or Blackberry user and you are running into the error, please report it via email (see steps below).

This error is occurring across multiple versions of Android OS (Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich) and is being reported across multiple carriers including AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.  Please report this application issue to Pandora (steps below).

Please note force stopping, cache clearing, and clearing data have not been able to resolve the problem nor does uninstalling/re-installing it.  Most users are able to run the application successfully over Wi-Fi.

Steps to contact Pandora support through Google Play Store: 

1. Search for Pandora from the Play Store
    2. Select Pandora
    3. Scroll down and select “Developer”
    4. Tap “Send email”
    5. Include a title (recommend including your device and carrier)
    6. Include comments (recommend including your OS version and Pandora version if known and a short description of the problem [e.g. can’t connect over cellular, app buffers then loops repeatedly])
    7. Send email through your favorite email application

• Steps to contact Pandora support through Internet:

1. Go to https://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  2. Include name
  3. Include email address
  4. Include Subject (e.g. Cannot connect over cellular, application doesn’t load then loops repeatedly)
  5. Include Message (e.g. I am having a problem where the app is able to start up on a particular music channel even loading the artist/song information and then the app begins buffering the song where it gets to
  6. 1-2% then stalls.  After a few seconds (typically 15-30s), the app moves on to the next artist/song information without ever having played any music.  My device is X.  My Android OS version is Y.  My Pandora version is Z.) 
  7. Click Send Email

Thank you,

Jarrett P

Solutions Engineer

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Pandora and Android Issue

I have this issue on my EVO 4G LTE Android also. In my conversations with Pandora they asked me to send my log files. I did 4 days ago and still have not heard anything back from them after multiple attempts. At least now I know it is not just my phone, not the EVO 4G LTE and not a sprint issue. It was working on my phone, so it must be the latest release that has the issue. I also can confirm it works over wifi and not cellular.

Journeyman

I know it's not exactly a solution, but an interim workaround I found elsewhere is to install an older version of the Pandora app. The link I found is http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/pandora I installed 1.5.3 and it's working via 3G. The only problem I've noted is that album art doesn't show if the phone (a Galaxy Nexus) is in portrait, but does show in landscape. But for me this is a very minor item.

Journeyman

I am having trouble with Pandora, Slacker & with Youtube.  None of these apps will work on the Sprint Network but all work on my Wifi connection.  I emailed both Pandora & Slacker today informing them of the problem but this seems to be more of a Sprint or a Samsung issue & not Pandora, Slacker or YouTube one.  I am going to email Samsung next. 

Is anyone from Sprint looking into this problem?

Master

As of 7/27 this issue should be resolved from the Pandora folks. If not, let me know.

Thanks,

mapesy

Journeyman

i still have this problem with pandora and youtube not working on cellular.  I have two galaxy s2 and both are having this issue

Master

Here is the reply from the contacts I have here:

I used Pandora and viewed a YouTube HD clip on 3G successfully this morning on an Epic 4G Touch running Android version 4.0.4.  Pandora version 1.6.  YouTube version 4.0.23.

Given that they’re having issues with multiple apps, they may have a different problem requiring Sprint Care to have a look.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Journeyman

OK.  So your saying it's a Sprint issue and not a Pandora issue right.  I have a brand new 2 week old Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g touch.  I downloaded the 1.6 version of Pandora.  It will ONLY work on WiFi.  I just tested it again 2 min. ago shutting off WiFi and connected to 4g.  Does Not work.  We have two of these phones and both will not connect to Pandora unless on WiFi.  So again, it's a Sprint Issue and Not Pandoras right????????

Master

There is more than one issue noted in this thread.  Some folks have a single app problem (Pandora) and others seem to be havving multiple apps malfunctioning.

• If you have problems with Pandora AND YouTube, that may be a different issue, therefore contact Care. 

• If your issue is with Pandora only, I recommend you contact Pandora support as I've noted, since we’ve seen it working on other devices. 

mapesy

Journeyman

I have called customer service twice with no luck on resolving this issue but this is a starting to be a real inconveinence as i used these two app (youtube and pandora) daily and i have noticed this issue with other devices as well.  My friends EVO 4G LTE was having the same issue as of 2 wks ago. Do you have any suggestion besides taking it into a store where they are never much help when it comes to these issues?  i was told by the rep that this is a sprint issue with the cell towers in my area not giving permission for 3rd liscense.  I will be asking to get out of my contract if this issue persists in the near future as or refund of my premium data as i am not being able to use my premium data.

Thanks

Journeyman

OK,  I finally got some answers from Sprint CS.  Most if not all of our issues have to do with ICS update.  It really messed things up.  They have actually stopped the release.  I was told that it could take up to a month to fix all the bugs.  Nice.  So the only thing you can do to fix it will be to take your phone to a sprint store and have them uninstall ICS and reinstall GB.  Then after ICS has been fixed by Google and others it will be re-released.  Ugh.  You would think someone would have tested this Sh** before making us all go through hell. 

Journeyman

Wow. This is ridiculous. I spent several hours on the phone with Sprint only to still have crappy 4g service (when before the update, I had excellent 4g service) and no pandora over 4g! =( So sad. I'm thinking about getting the S3, but there's no LTE in NYC yet. Bummer. I'm subscribing to this, so when someone finally gets Pandora over 4g or better 4g service period, let me know... obviously you should have had the problem like the rest of us and not reporting that you never had problems. Thanks!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.