cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reclaiming Sprint # for Google Voice

Highlighted
Journeyman

Reclaiming Sprint # for Google Voice

Probably a question more for Google than Sprint forums .... but I can't find ANY help on the Google forums.  The purpose for trying to acquire 3 different Google Voice numbers is for 3 different office locations in 3 different states (CA, CO, NC).  Long story, but people wonder if I give out a phone number with an unknown area code.  "Where's 949?  Where's 719?  Where's 704?"

I have 3 Gmail accounts ... #1, #2, #3

I got a new Google Voice number (GV #1 for Gmail #1) and used my Sprint number as my one & only FORWARDING phone (I have no other phone ... completely mobile).

I got a second Google Voice number (GV #2 for Gmail #2) and tried to use my Sprint number as a FORWARDING phone, verified it using my Sprint phone, then got an email to Gmail #1 saying,

"Please note that the forwarding number (Sprint number) was deleted from your Google Voice account (GV #1) because it was claimed and verified by another Google Voice user (i.e. GV #2).  If you still want this forwarding number on your account and believe  this was an error, please <click here to learn more>.

I was able to follow the instructions to "reclaim" my Sprint number back to my GV #1, leaving GV #2 WITHOUT any forwarding Sprint number (i.e. just voicemail via Google Chat) ... that's perfectly fine.

A week later, I attempted to add a third Google Voice number (GV #3 for Gmail #3) and tried to AVOID using any number as a FORWARDING phone based upon my problems with adding GV #2 above.  I wasn't allowed to add GV #3 WITHOUT a forwarding phone, so I decided to follow the same procedure of reclaiming my Sprint number after adding/verifying GV #3 using my Sprint phone.  I got the same email to Gmail #1 above.

HOWEVER, this time I was unable to reclaim my Sprint number!!  After trying to delete my Sprint number from GV #3, which I wasn't allowed to do, and trying to "reclaim" my Sprint number to GV #1, which I wasn't allowed to do .... I completely deleted my Gmail #3 account, hoping to release my Sprint number in order to "reclaim" it for GV #1 again.  Seems logical .... no Gmail account, no Google Voice to attach it to.

Without being able to "reclaim" my Sprint number back to GV #1, I'm stuck with GV #1 and GV #2 as voicemail ONLY (NO forwarding phone!) .... I can't use my Sprint phone to call out via Google Voice at all anymore.  Grrrr ....

Sorry for the long, detailed post .... can ANYONE @ Sprint help me with this dilemma.  I WANT MY SPRINT NUMBER UNATTACHED TO ANY GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER!!! 

Thanks for your help, friends ....

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't know what happened, but while my Epic was turned off, I received two missed calls notifications in my Gmail #1 Inbox from two contacts who only had my Sprint number ... and the missed calls showed up in my GV #1 Inbox!  Huh?

I quickly went into GV #1 and tried to reclaim my Sprint number from (now deleted) GV #3 ... and it worked!!

I will not try to acquire another GV # after this fiasco.  After seeing the multitude of Sprint-Google Integration issues, I'm quite fearful of even using Google Voice much longer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't quite understand the issue in detail, but i played with GV, and it was ok, i wanted my sprint# to work as it should so i don' tknow if this will help but from you mobile device do:

*285189458466 GV on

*38 GV off

It may be the other way around but i hope this helps. If not, good luck and i hope a Sprint rep answers soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My reply to my own post (right above you) mentions that GV just "corrected itself" ... don't quite understand how that happened, but it did.

I was trying to acquire 3 GV numbers for 3 different Gmail accounts ... you can do that, but you have to have 3 different forwarding phones for that to work.

Now that I have my Sprint number back (and connected to my Gmail account #1 with GV #1 Full Features), I still have GV #2 connected to my Gmail account #2 with only the Google Chat feature (for voicemail), since you can only a single forwarded number (i.e. my Sprint number) connected to one GV #.

You'll understand what I'm talking about as you get more acquainted with Google Voice.

Thanks for your help, though ... much appreciated!

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.