cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ringers, Ringtones, Mastertones, Real Tones - Whatever you call them provide your feedback here!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ringers, Ringtones, Mastertones, Real Tones - Whatever you call them provide your feedback here!

Good afternoon! I am the product manager for the Ringer products Sprint currently sells in our Digital Lounge and the device Downloads link. I am very interested in finding out what you like, dislike and cannot find when you are searching for Ringer content.

So, what have you all got to say?

Message Edited by sunfleur70 on 06-17-2008 03:15 PM

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Wizard

First off, thanks for asking! 🙂<br><br>I'm likely not one of the demographics you aim for - in fact, judging from what I find in the Digital Lounge at MySprint, I'm very definitely <u>not</u> in that group.<br><br>For myself, I prefer "ringtones" that sound halfway decent through a less than one inch speaker, and don't annoy everyone else in the vicinity. If it sounds like a Western Electric "500" set ringing, that's great, if it is a screechy, tinny, mostly distorted, clip from some sort of hip-hop, it's doesn't suit.<br><br>Right now I'm running a ringtone that suits me - it is a "ringer" from an old James Coburn movie, "In Like Flint," which is very identifiable to me as being my phone ringing, is rather mellow even when delivered at high levels, and tends not to annoy everyone within hearing distance.<br><br>Here's what it sounds like: <a target="_blank" href="http://tijil.org/flint.mp3">http://tijil.org/flint.mp3</a> (Yes, I made it and uploaded it to my Sanyo SCP-7050 myself.)<br><br>Perhaps if the "ringers" at the Lounge actually included some, uh, "ringers" from around the world (even some of those normally heard by the caller) it might add some interest to the otherwise horrid sounding screeches so often provided. :)<br><br>Take care!

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

You too, eh??  I haven't found a good steel twin bell phone sample yet, but I am a big fan of the ATT Merlin phone system.  Fortunatley, with the popularity of the TV show '24', those clips are found out on the net pretty easily.  So, my HTC Mogul rings out as an ATT Merlin!

My suggestion?  Enable Digital Lounge for Smart Devices.  Your high ARPU customers with the desire and ability to purchase and pay for digital downloads quite often have Smart Devices.  And we're stuck hand-crafting ringtones or paying dodgy third party providers for our ringers.

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with Will, and I am a Mogul user (windows mobile). Personally I doubt I'd buy and download ringtones, I enjoy creating my own. The rings I create are usually MIDI-based but all have a few things in common-

They are as loud as possible. For MIDIs this means adjusting the track/note volumes, for MP3s it means normalizing and often compressing (I mean audio compression as in reduced dynamic range, not just MP3 compression)
They are transposed to a key that produces frequency ranges which the Mogul speaker puts out well; small speakers are good for mid to high range but not bass.
They are free of any and all DRM, I can back them up as I see fit or move them to a new phone.

The important bit- they are chopped and time/tempo adjusted to be almost exactly 15 or 20 seconds long, and include a recognizable important part of the song. The official 'sprint ring time before voicemail' is 23 seconds as i recall, and with my Slot Cycle Index (SCI) set at 1 it comes out to be just about 3 seconds before the ringing starts. That means that for a Mogul on ring only, I need a 20 second ringer, for 'vibrate then ring' I need a 15 second ringer.
I then chop and adjust the tempo of the song so that usually the chorus or a defined part of it is exactly that long. The result is that I can tell by listening to the ringer exactly how much ringing time is left before the call goes to voicemail.

For the record- I don't think $3 is a reasonable price for a ringtone. I'm not going to pay $3 for a low-fi 30 second clip when I can get the song for $0.99. I'm also never going to pay for a ringtone that includes DRM- I have a fundamental problem with DRM as a concept.

However, I would consider buying (or at least taking advantage of the 'free ringtone!' offers plastered all over sprint.com) if the ringers there met the above criteria (including the lack of DRM). I consider a fair price for an average ringtone (random 30 seconds chopped out of the chorus) to be $0.50-$0.99, but never more than the whole song itself. If the tone was guaranteed quality (met all the above criteria) that could be worth a premium, say $1.25-$1.50.

That said though, there are lots of people who would buy ringers at $3 and many own smart devices like the Mogul or BlackBerry. I doubt you could do much DRM-wise (maybe using windows media? dunno about BB) but if you're willing to accept the lack of DRM it could be a good new market.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the new Sprint Instinct and I'm searching for the Dexter TV theme as my ringtone . . . any suggestions? thx, Sue

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm not your average blackberry user(i've got the 7100i, and i'm 14). i want ringtones on it. just 1. back in black by ac-dc. best song ever. the absolutely most infuriating part is, new blackberrys(i.e. ones that arent stillbeing sold for $200 3 years after release)can get tons of free ringtones from www.crackberry.com INCLUDING back in black. i cant because they are mp3 files, which the 7100i doesnt support.

my point is, if i'm going to pay $350 to upgrade to a blackberry and pay with my own money for 700 minutes, unlimited texting, internet, and email, then i should be able to get a ringtone for it. btw, sweet child o' mine would be nice too.

this problem will be eliminated when the new b.b. comes out around thanksgiving, but until then, nextel is loosing money because they dont offer ringtones for blackberrys. as far as i'm concerned, i might as well go to a small regional carrier and pay less per monthif i cant get something as simple as a ringtone on one of the nicest phones nextel offers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I simply want a tone or single sound. I don't want or need a song or something that plays for a long time. When I get a text or voicemail I want a single beep or tone and that's it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, I have the Instinct. For some reason, the phone itself rings (loudly) when I have the headphones plugged in. Not a problem with my last carrier, don't know if this is typical for Sprint phones. No one at Sprint seems to know how to fix it, so what I would like is a very quiet ringtone that won't annoy my coworkers.

Also, a short selection of "dings" would be nice for text notifications, etc. No need to play a whole dang song.

Thank you

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would love to find out where I can Download the original Nextel iDen ringtones for my Curve!

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi, Sunfleur, just wondering of anything ever became of this.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello? Fleur? Bueler? Anyone? Smiley Happy

I'd like to add one more request (though these seem to have done a power dive into a black hole)...

As a "calltone" (the audio one's callers hear instead of a ringtone) I'd really like to have the option for a ring and announcement that says:

ring "This call may be recorded for quality assurance." ring "This call may be recorded for quality assurance." ring etc.

It would make it simple to get the warning out of the way, and would actually be a calltone suitable for business use. (Maybe the only one...)

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Unfortunately, this pretty much sums up how I expected this thread to end. I believe you've frightened the original poster w/your thorough knowledge and educated questioning.... too bad.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.