cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint App of the Week: Video Chat Apps

Journeyman

Do you have a Sprint Android device with a front-facing and rear-facing camera or the new iPhone 4S? Try out one of these cool video chat apps that let you not only talk but SEE the person you’re chatting with. Since my in-laws moved 300 miles away and won’t be able to visit the hospital when I give birth to my son, I plan to use the Qik app to show them their precious grandson soon after he is born in February. Sure I can email pictures but imagine their excitement when they get to actually see him move for the first time!  

Qik: both a free version and new paid version with premium features are available for Android and iPhone.  

QikEpic_Evo.png
Qik Premium Features:

• Qik Desktop
     oAutomatically sync videos from phone to desktop — manage them with ease.
• Anytime video mail
     o Record, send and receive as many video mails as you want.
• Unlimited video storage (fair usage policy applies) 
     o Access every video in your Qik video gallery so you can view, share and download.
• Easy downloads
     o Download videos instantly or do it automatically with Qik Desktop.
• HD and 3D video recording
     o Record and share videos in high definition (720p) and 3D on select Android devices.
• Mobile camera roll (iOS) or gallery (Android) uploads
     o Upload all your mobile videos so you can share and manage them with ease.
• Priority support
     o Be first in line for individual help with a dedicated support email and fast response.

Qik Premium:
• $4.99/month or $44.99/year
• iOS: all iPhones, iPod Touches (with camera), iPad 2’s with iOS 4 or later.
• Android: Android 2.1 – 2.3.4 devices

Qik Free App Features:
Video Chat & Mail: Stay connected even when you are on the go with 2-way live Video Chats. Not available to talk live? No problem! Just send and receive Video Mail.
Video Sharing: Share videos privately with family and friends, automatically post to social networks, or broadcast to blogs and video sites.

Qik review by LAPTOP: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/qik.aspx
Qik review by PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385191,00.asp

FaceTime

• Available for iPhone 4S users. Works over Wi-Fi.
• Works right out of the box — no need to set up a special account or screen name.
• Syncs with address book. To start a video call, simply find the person in your contacts and tap the FaceTime button. Or just tell Siri, “FaceTime with Mom.”
• If you’re already talking to the person, iPhone to iPhone, and you want to switch to video, simply tap the FaceTime button on the screen.
• An invitation pops up on your friend’s screen asking if they want to join you. When they accept, the video call begins.
• The three on-screen buttons make it easy to mute or end a call, and switch between the front-facing camera and standard back-of-camera view.
• FaceTime video calls function in both portrait and landscape modes.

Fring

Group Video Chat, Voice Calls & Text Chat

• Group Video Chat with 4 friends vat the same time
• Video chat with DVQ™ technology on 3G,4G & WiFi
• Free calls to other fring users worldwide
• Free live text chat (instead of SMS)

Video Chat

• Group Video chat with friends on Android or iPhone.
• Up to 4 participants can group video call: 4 friends on 1 screen.
• According to fring, fring's video calling DVQ™ technology (Dynamic Video Quality) gives you the best video and audio quality possible by automatically and continuously adjusting your video call quality to match your connectivity.
• See your friends real-time status; you can chat with your friends before video-calling them
• Free in Android Market or iPhone App Store

Fring website: http://www.fring.com/what-is-fring

Share with us the various occasions when you’ve found video chatting handy. Which video chat apps are your favorites?

3 Comments