Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

Journeyman

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

My phone cam with apps pre-installed that I can't remove. This is just stupid. It is a horrible customer experience. I think offering the apps is a GREAT customer experience - just put them in the lounge so that those of us that want them can get them. That would be a huge benefit of Sprint service. But pre-installing nascar, nfl, amazon, peep, footprints and other stuff on my phone and not allowing me to remove them is a horrible customer experience. It frustrates me to the point of wanting a different carrier. Come on, Sprint, you can do better than this....

58 REPLIES 58
Journeyman

I just wanted to ask why because Sprint installed a Football app it has to be 1950 and only for guys? I am a woman and couldn't be happier that I can track all my football teams through the season on my phone. I agree its irritating we cant uninstall certain apps, I was just wondering why the apps are considered "guys apps". Thanks

Journeyman

Here's the deal:  I too am opposed to all of this, but it comes down to money.  Sprint endorses NASCAR, hence the SPRINT CUP.  TV viewership has declined in all areas over the past couple of years, likely due to the availability of more interesting things available on the internet, youtube, on demand, etc.

"The target both governing bodies [NASCAR & NFL] are trying to attract is the general  sports fan, one that will watch an exciting event. Millions of people  make up this demographic." 

http://www.hardcoreracefans.com/nascar-cup-news/4811-nascar-sprint-cup-versus-the-nfl

So, in order to get more exposure, and help their mutual contract, and not exclude all the millions of NFL viewers, it makes good business sense, in dollars, for them to force these apps on us.  However, we do have the right to file a class action suit to force Sprint to stop.  I don't have the energy, but will gladly join.  🙂

Journeyman

It does take up space though, doesn't. This could be used for something else.

Journeyman

According to my phone, any of the various Sprint ID Packs (which includes the Clean Install version) are only available on the Sanyo Zio and the Samsung Transform. 

So, yeah... not a lot of help there!!

Wizard

I do want Sprint to stop.  Its okay to preinstall the apps, but it is not okay to prevent us from being able to delete.  C'mon, I'm a deaf customer and all these apps are just useless.  I do not appreciate it.  Give us the option to delete these apps with the Gingerbread update.  And no, moving them all to the back is stupid and takes up valuable space for apps that I really want to have. 

Journeyman

I completely agree. They need to give us more options. I hope they make changes to it and quick!

Journeyman

Your argument is the same as something like we shouldn't sell knives because stupid people will cut themselves with them.

I see no reason why Sprint should have installed (and recently snuck a game called Nova that starts itself) amazon mp3 or nascar or sprint navigation on my device without giving me the option to remove them. There is no reasonable argument you can present me that will justify my having to go in and turn off Nascar every so often because Sprint needs to run it and leave it running on my phone.

It's sad to hear the spastic reaction to this - no app is 'free' if it's forced onto your device and running without you calling it.

In fact, it's draining clock cycles from the cpu, draining the battery, and diminishing my user experience.

Master

As an update...

The EVO 3D is the first Android device offered by Sprint that will let you remove almost all of the pre-installed applications (The exception is Sprint ID). This is intentional, and is the direction the company is planning to go in the future.

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=15497

No information on if it will be retractive to older devices, my guess would be no, but it is the direction going forward.

Journeyman

Well that is all well and good but what you are telling us is that if we want this freedom that should have been ours in the first place we will have to pay for it by purchasing a new phone. For those of us who aren't willing to do taht we are stuck with the choices of rooting our phones and voiding our warranties or living with these annoying preinstalled apps that suck up RAM, physical memory and consume battery power. That hardly seems fair. There is an inherent expense of my time and effort to deal with this, in the additional equipment I buy to ensure my phone is always charged; is Sprint willing to reimburse me for this? And on a different rant could anyone explain to me how to get rid of this voicemail option that forces me to get voicemails as texts that I then cannot access? What happened to the old fashioned method of just calling my voicemail? What happened in general to the idea that a phone user actually had some type of control over his or her phone? It's ridiculous that I have far more control over my laptop, a far more complex and expensive peice of equipment, than I do over a telephone.

Master

The total amount of storage space that all of the Sprint applications take up on my personal Evo 4G is just over 36 megabytes.  That is not enough space to be such a concern for me.  After updating my phone's software to the newest Gingerbread Android update, Sprint Navigation (now called Telenav) no longer runs all of the time and neither does Blockbuster as well as some of the other preinstalled applications. 

Journeyman

Statistically that makes you a rarity poisontree. My point is that the apps (football, nascar, etc) are targeted to a traditionally male audience and there should be no apps forced on anyone that aren't required to run the phone. Because you aren't going to find apps that are universally appealing or necessary to anyone. And it certainly isn't my intent to turn this thread into a debate on gender preferences.

Wizard

Its great that Sprint are starting to allow us to remove pre-installed apps (this is their way to lessen rooting/hacking), but this does not stop us from rooting our phones.  Sprint still secretly install Carrier IQ collecting all of our info and everything that we do.  That runs 24/7...one of the biggest battery drains ever.  So, I will never remain on stock.  I'm keeping my Epic for years and it has been fully rooted...destroying (completely removed) all of Sprint and Samsung's junk. 

How's that Sprint. hahahahahaha

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.