Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

Journeyman

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

My phone cam with apps pre-installed that I can't remove. This is just stupid. It is a horrible customer experience. I think offering the apps is a GREAT customer experience - just put them in the lounge so that those of us that want them can get them. That would be a huge benefit of Sprint service. But pre-installing nascar, nfl, amazon, peep, footprints and other stuff on my phone and not allowing me to remove them is a horrible customer experience. It frustrates me to the point of wanting a different carrier. Come on, Sprint, you can do better than this....

58 REPLIES 58
Journeyman

Well I need to add my vote asking Sprint to give users the option of removing any app not central to the operation of the phone.  I'm never going to access NASCAR, Blockbuster, NOVA, football, Facebook, etc. except by accident so they are effectively not on my phone.  If the goal is advertising I'm even less likely to use Blockbuster because it is being thrust upon me.  Could there be ten more apps we can't remove added one day?

From a marketing standpoint consider offering a single "cool tools" service that a user could subscribe to.  Have it announce that apps like the ones listed above are available.  There would be no limit and it would be received by potential customers instead of people disatissfied enough to avoid using them at all costs.

BTW raging and ranting and threatening to root the phone really doesn't accomplish anything I'll bet.  The decision is income driven and none of those things affect Sprint's bottom line.

Journeyman

now honestly  most of you guys have the whole idea of some of these apps wrong.... first of all you didnt really "buy" your phone.... unless you went to ebay or something and bought it used w/o a contract, or bought it outright w/o a contract.

let me explain.... its all about subsidies. sprint knocks so much money of the cost of that 500 dollar smart phone to make it more attractive to upgrade, or renew your contract. as long as youre under contract, they got you by the huevos. try to buy a new phone while under contract and not eligible for an upgrade...that 149 dollar epic 4g is really like 499. so nfl and nascar and some of the other crapware sprint makes money from people using it... they are readily able to push thier chosen advertising to those apps.. if there was no crapware, yer phone would be one giant ad, or would cost what the device REALLY cost..... just stfu, and deal with the crapware, or root your phone and delete it. pretty simple.

/endrant

Journeyman

"now honestly  most of you guys have the whole idea of some of these apps wrong..."

Read that sentence again with an adult present. Have them explain your ignorance to you.

These 'apps' are ads, we all get it. there is no reason for them to be on the phone, and revenue from them does NOTHING to reduce the cost of the phone. They are mutual placement contracts where company A places bumperstickers next to anywhere company B places bumperstickers.

" just stfu, and deal with the crapware, or root your phone and delete it. pretty simple."

Which translates to "just void your warranty and bend over..."

I'd love to be polite, but MCOLLAZO08, you are a complete moron. As in a very unintelligent individual. An idiot, per se.

Seriously, learn English before you post anything...online...anwhere...ever...

Journeyman

Honestly just deal with the bloatware. It doesn't really affect you that much. While I have the 3D now with the option to delete some of these apps, I had the EVO 4G before and I dealt with it. Even after rooting my phone I left every app on the phone it came with. If your that SCARED to void your warranty then don't root, there is an option to unroot if/when you need to take your phone it for repair. Get a task killer to manage those apps by auto-killing them. Why don't we come up with something more relevant to complain about.

Journeyman

I like free apps just as much as the next guy. However, my problem is not with free apps, its with the apps that are constantly updating that I never use in the first place. I already had to purchase an extended battery for my phone, lowered my screen brightness, and installed an app killer, and I still have trouble keeping my phone charged throughout a day. Whenever I use my appkiller, low and behold there are those same apps, the ones i never use, have turned on to received updates, and then don't turn off. It is killing my battery.

Journeyman

Next time I need the opinion of a twelve year old, I'll hit you up, SMBAINTER3.

If you're posting online, try to move the conversation, you add nothing,

Advocating for crappy service is a pretty lousy use of your time, dontcha think?

Journeyman

I AGREE,,,,,THOUGH I UNDERSTAND THAT MARKETING IS MARKETING,,,,,STILL THE BEST SITUATIONS WITH $300. $400 AND $500 PHONES,,,,WOULD BE ABLE TO REMOVE ANY APP ON IT THAT YOU DESIRED,,,,SINCE THE "TECH" IS THERE TO DO SO,,, AND REALLY NO MATTER HOW MUCH MEMORY THEY TAKE UP,,,OR NOT TAKE UP,,,,,,,THEY ARE TAKING UP THAT MUCH MORE IF THEY ARE ON THERE,,,,,WHICH IS SOMEWHAT OF A WASTE OF TIME,,,,TO EVEN THUMB THROUGH.....YET SPRINT HAS SOME GREAT APPS,,,,,,BUT ALL KNOW WE ,,,ALL HAVE DIFFERENT LIKES,,AND DISLIKES,,,,,THUS THE REMOVAL OPTIONAL,,,,SEEMS TO BE AN EXCELLENT WAY TO GO,,,,,,AND A EXCELLENT WAY TO KEEP THEIR CLIENTS,,,ENJOYING THEIR PRODUCT AT IT'S FULLEST. 

Journeyman

Good one erperson! Have you went back and reread your posts? talk about a 12 year old. I don't understand why people sit here and complain about things out of their control. I'm sure you can find something more productive with your time rather than complain about bloatware on your phone. You have options to get rid of it just like anyone else but you don't seem to want to go that route. One last thing if we are going to be calling someone 12 how about we first use actual words for starters, thanks.

Journeyman

Yeah - using a product forum to discuss product features is wrong, but using it to bully people into just breaking their warranty or living with an asinine policy is correct.

You're a real brainiac.

Journeyman

I have not read too many posts that speak of the real problems.

Bloatware programs Sprint Zone Nascar Peep and others have the ability to open on their own. I read where someone mentioned legal ramnifications. I believe very strongly that a program having the ability to self initialize is wrong and very posibly illegal. I am a very busy person and need all the battery life I can get to make it through the day... I love my EVO but I am getting close to rooting it so that I can remove the bloatware. I understand that this voids the warranty... again I find this to be egregious this is a violation of our rights!

HTC and Google do not require us to keep garbage on our phones! WHY DOES SPRINT?!?!?!?!?

Journeyman

I totally agree that yes, it's marketing strategy to have these apps installed on the phone when it's new. My problem, like many of the previous posters here is not being able to uninstall the bloatware, and to have to keep killing said bloatware just to get my battery to last a full day. The only way I can get rid of all the bloatware on my Samsung Moment with 2.1 is to "root" the phone, which voids the warranty as was previously pointed out. Several times each day I find Moxier Mail running..which I never use. I want it off my phone. I use the "regular" email app but even on days I don't use that I have to kill Moxier several times. I will never use the Amazon mp3 service yet it's stuck on my phone. I've had Sprint for 10 years with the same phone number and I like the lower pricing compared to similar plans from Verizon or AT&T but having useless apps forced on me plus Sprint's crappy coverage are making me consider going to one of those other carriers. By "crappy coverage" I mean I have no bars while people on both of the other main carriers have full bars, both voice and data. They can remove pretty much any app they want from their phones while I'm stuck with crap on mine that I can't get rid of. I consider myself one of the "advanced" users the Sprint tech referred to. I can assure you I don't "accidentally" remove anything. I want this useless crap gone from my phone or I'm switching carriers even if it means I have to start over with a new phone number. And no I'm not planning to fork out more money for a new phone just for the priveledge. If I get a new phone it will be on a new carrier who will let me de-crapify my phone.

Journeyman

And apparently the use of the word c r a p gets me censored with **** instead.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.