Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

Journeyman

Sprint - quit putting apps on our phones that we can't remove

My phone cam with apps pre-installed that I can't remove. This is just stupid. It is a horrible customer experience. I think offering the apps is a GREAT customer experience - just put them in the lounge so that those of us that want them can get them. That would be a huge benefit of Sprint service. But pre-installing nascar, nfl, amazon, peep, footprints and other stuff on my phone and not allowing me to remove them is a horrible customer experience. It frustrates me to the point of wanting a different carrier. Come on, Sprint, you can do better than this....

58 REPLIES 58
Journeyman

wow i didnt realize people felt this way about the preinstalled apps. 

Journeyman

I think the unremovable apps are a way to give free advertisement so that these hi tech $600 phones can cost $200.(in my case free) I have the Evo 4G and its a great phone awsome coverage awsome speed but everything has pros and cons. I love football...do I want to watch it on my phone? NO. So I dont. Simple as that. If you dont like it dont use it. You buy a $30,000 car...it has 160mph on the dash....do you use it? No you use what you need(for me about 100 when I'm late to work..lol).

Journeyman

It is not about the apps being on there but more the amount of energy it uses to run these apps. The EVO has horrible battery life becase at any given time there are several apps running in the back ground. Also, what do you think it does with the phone? It is sending info back to Sprint on our daily uses and other stuff. Privacy! I would jus like to have a day when my EVO's battery dies and it has to be charged. Before the last upgrade I was able to turn off the apps but now that is not even an option. It is bad customer care. BTW I hate Nascar. Its a useless app.

Master

BHOSINSKI13 wrote:

It is not about the apps being on there but more the amount of energy it uses to run these apps. The EVO has horrible battery life becase at any given time there are several apps running in the back ground. Also, what do you think it does with the phone? It is sending info back to Sprint on our daily uses and other stuff. Privacy! I would jus like to have a day when my EVO's battery dies and it has to be charged. Before the last upgrade I was able to turn off the apps but now that is not even an option. It is bad customer care. BTW I hate Nascar. Its a useless app.

If your complaint is primarily about apps loaded in memory using battery life, I then suggest you read about how volatile memory (RAM) operates with regards to power usage. Just because something is loaded into memory doesn't mean it is using battery life. Only active applications that are doing things are using power.

Then you also have services, these are the background processes that usually do operate in the background. Services are the things used to time for automatic updates. So things like Facebook, Email, etc. all utilize services to set automatic update intervals, so they don't have to load up the full application each time it needs to update. Some applications like Google Maps are used by all location-based services on the Android phones as well so even though you may not have loaded Google Maps recently, some other application may have loaded it up for GPS services.

When an application is closed and immediately loads back up, it is because it was currently doing something before you forced it closed. This usually happens when using third party task killers. Android has a built-in task killer in all phones using Froyo (2.2) or above, and anything running Eclair (2.1) can see running services. You can see running services by going to Settings > Applications > Running Services, and applications by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running tab. From here you can open an app and choose "Force Stop" to close an app, this will close it cleanly and it should not open again unless another application is calling on it to load.

There are posts all over the Internet about task killers being needed, etc. but almost all of those posts are from people who have no idea what they are talking about and are just repeating what they have read elsewhere. Task Killers have a purpose, but for the average person using an Android phone, they cause more issues than they solve while also providing a false sense of security/capability.

Journeyman

I understand all apps that are live have to update but what if you do not use the apps? Kindle, Amazon, Nova (what ever that is), Ect... If I do not use them then why do I have to have them? I love my EVO but hate the apps that love to pop up. Some of the worst are Flicker and Maps. As for battery life, it is amazing how much more life I get when I keep shutting these apps off. Even Facebook I shut off when I am not using it.  The whole point of this string is that there are forced apps that do not have any Operating Systems programming in them that are on the EVO. Each of these apps drain the life of my battery because they are being used in the back ground all the time. As for the updates, If I can not shut them perminate then they keep running after a update that happenes 1000 times a day. (or it seems) So, agian why is it that we cant delete thes apps?

Journeyman

Would be nice if people stopped their whining and posted something useful.

1.  Root your phone (see the android forums or search google for root samsung epic 4g if you don't know how).

2.  Install Titanium Backup (free app on the Android market).

3.  Back up your config, files, apps with Titanium.

4.  Delete the unwanted apps using Titanium.  *Optional app freeze option if you pay for Titanium backup.

Journeyman

The sprint forums should have a sticky for the correct answer at the top.  That, and they should also show the most recent first.  Why would someone go through 3 or more pages just to see the most recent response, which may be the correct answer?

Here it is again:

1.  Root your phone (see the android forums or search google for root samsung epic 4g if you don't know how).

2.  Install Titanium Backup (free app on the Android market).

3.  Back up your config, files, apps with Titanium.

4.  Delete the unwanted apps using Titanium.  *Optional app freeze option if you pay for Titanium backup.

Wizard

People don't have to root their phones.  They can install the SDX Removal and it will uninstall any apps from the phone, including bloatwares, without ever rooting.

Journeyman

This thread has become bloated itself..... Has Sprint actually responded to this? Is there something in the works? It isn't the battery life, it is the physical space - can't move a lot of the apps to sd card. therefore can't install the apps I need b/c i can't delete / uninstall Sprints.... I do not use many of the apps that they installed....

Journeyman

I'm with you.  Offer it in the lounge for other's who'd like it. But I don't want all this sports junk on my phone.  I may be from the South, but I could give a hoot less about NASCAR personally.  I sure as heck don't want it on my phone, where I can't delete it from there of my own free will.

Wizard

“The ability to remove pre-loaded and suggested applications is part of our commitment to maintain open platforms and encourage customers to truly customize their wireless experience,” said Fared Adib, vice president – Product Development, Sprint. “Our strong partnership with Google and manufacturing partners like HTC allows us to give customers even more flexibility on their device. We are looking at how we can do this on more devices in the future as well.”

From an announcement at: http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/07/08/did-you-know-spr...

Engadget also reported on this new direction: http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/19/sprints-fared-adib-we-made-a-conscious-decision-to-scale-back/

In other words, these concerns have most definately been heard at some of the highest levels of the company and they are being listened to. I don't have much more information than that at the moment, but this is something felt and heard.

Journeyman

These apps are on internal memory that comes with the phone. This internal memory cannot be acessed in any way. So even if you did fill up your sd card and want to put more stuff on the phone by deleting these apps, you cant because you cant access that memory for storage anyway. So it is a non-issue. Its like saying, "I dont like the start button that windows offers, I put everything on my desktop." You would be accessing system run file to remove it which could possibly destroy your installation of windows. So they  just dont give you access to remove it.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.