cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

Journeyman

We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment.   "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

I'm not asking about the WIFI or rooting your EVO.

Just as simple as connecting your USB cable and download the "EASY TETHER" from "market apps" and run the internet access thru your EVO smartphone.

Does Sprint allow this for a LEGAL and free without paying EXTRA MONEY?

Message was edited by: Sprint2_Customer

29 REPLIES
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

Sprint expressly prohibits tethering without the addon Hotspot plan.

Sprint also can monitor data usage.

You are welcome to use any app you want, but be aware that violating the terms of your contract may cause you to incur additional fees or have your account termintated.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

You said "Sprint also can monitor data usage."

Are you saying as long I don't exceeds my 5GB data download PER MONTH, it will be ok to use the application for tethering?

Master

No, He is saying Sprint does not allow tethering without the adding the $30 hotspot fee, Get caught and you will most likley get terminated. Also there is no 5gb cap on any data usage on the evo or any phone data plans.

Specific Terms & Restrictions On Using Data Services
In addition to the rules for using all of our other Services, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, wireless routers, Data Link, etc.), you can't use our data Services: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; or (3) for any other unintended use as we determine in our sole discretion. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance or hinders access to our network. If your Services include web or data access, you also can't use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).
Journeyman

THANK YOU.

I'm glad I asked.

"5gb Cap for Evo G wifi hotspot in 3g regions"

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/178669

But how sprint will findout If I'm tethering with USB or WIFI?

The amount of data I use, speed, frequently use, IP address?

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm asking these general questions for those who are tethering will be aware not to use illegally.

Journeyman

Let me start off by saying that I'm not necessarily endorsing tethering, I just want to put a little practical perspective on the matter.

I've experimented with the tethering apps that are available on the Android Market with my EVO.  I see it as an easy way for me to have internet on my laptop when I'm travelling in the absence of wireless access in the hotel etc.etc.

If I use this in moderation and Sprint catches me in the act, are they really going to terminate the contract of a 5+ yrs customer?

Would they really terminate a contract that brings in $80 a month over a $30 charge to use tethering?

Sprint loses enough customers each day to the competition alone, are they really going to start a witchhunt?

My hope, as a Sprint shareholder, is that Sprint will see the bigger picture here.  They could very drastically cut their subscriber losses due to the attractiveness of their Unlimited plans, the 4G "monopoly", and spiffy new phones (I'm not sure how I lived before my EVO).  Additionally Sprint, with the 4G network, now has the potential to tap into some of the market share in the commercial realm with small/large businesses.  Does Sprint really want to kill the momentum it can build with these advantages?

Truthfully, I don't see Sprint terminating contracts, but rather warnings, followed by eventual fees will be their course of action.

Or perhaps Sprint will simply have to live with the tethering problem, at least in the near future, until they inevitably go to tiered data plans like the competition.

Just my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Journeyman

I decided to return my unit "Evo" a wk ago. I just went back to my iPHONE. Good thing is, they actually re-activate my account and keep my account before.

Thank you guys for your replied to this issue, it's really help to hear what others comment.

For me tethering internet is really nice, but it is to much for $30.

If sprint can make it like $15 per month only for 3g unlimited, it will be a good deal.

iPHONE is way too good compare to EVO. The quality of iPHONE is way better than evo.

If you use an iPHONE before, you know what I'm talking about.

iPHONE IS SO "SIMPLE AND YET, STILL THE BEST".

thank you.

Journeyman

Another iphone fanatic. Do you work for apple? Go to an AT&T forum and spurt your iphone promotions there. i have had 3 ipod touches a mac and other apple devices and i am also a fan of apples products. when it comes to phones i wouldn't give up my evo for an iphone. 1. because its on AT&T. 2. because its less customizable. each phone has their flaws and strengths. when it comes down to which one you want, its all about YOUR preference and how much money you have to feed AT&T. "SIMPLE AND STILL THE BEST" is your opinion. im sure there a many who dont agree with you.

Journeyman

this just goes to show you how shall i say dumb some customers are, If it is illegal to tether your phone why would you get on sprints website which is modded by reps and such and talk about doing some illegal bull?  man I hope you guys don't get pulled for AIRING your business on SPRINTS website

phsssss

Sprint Product Ambassador

It's not a 'criminal' violation, but rather civil contract law.  Your contract prohibits tethering without a specific phone (Evo) and plan addon.

Your contract also notes that excessive data use may void your contract.

We don't generally go around firing customers, but it has happened in the past.

Keep it on the down-low, mmkay?  :-)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Okay, although your questions are interesting, they really don't apply to most Android users from my point of view. Why buy an EVO, Hero, or other Android device and tether it to something? That just doesn't make sense. 1st) Tethering an Android device to a computer completely negates the point of the phone in the first place, for most of us our Androids are a laptop replacement. 2nd) A laptop on 3G will be nearly as slow as DSL or dial up at times because of heavy network traffic, so assuming you do get a great speed, it's still dinosaur slow. 3rd) Even Sprint's 4G (which I have used) is slower than Clear Wireless, and Clear is pretty darn fast as it is, so tethering an EVO to your laptop is pointless in terms of speed, there's not that much difference between 3G and 4G speeds. Some people think that "4G" means something special in terms of bandwidth, the "G" simple means "generation," and right now WiMax is the 4th generation, and it's still not impressively fast, but better than DSL and other services that exist for mobile broadband.

I use the HTC Hero and it's my trusty little work horse! I use GB's like no tomorrow on Sprint's service from my phone and it's fast, reliable, and never lets me down! It's a way to get me away from the laptop and more productive with my time. If you are that concerned with tethering and the sort to make yourself feel like you are pulling something over on Sprint, I'm sure they are well aware that people ARE tethering through these apps, but in the end, no they probably wont terminate your contract because at the end of the day, keeping someone in a 99.99 monthly contract with unlimited usage if far better than no customer at all.

If you really want to get mobile broadband, that's what you should do and BUY the service that way there is no mistaking what you can and cannot do with your service that you pay for. As for me, I bought my HTC Hero to use on the go for work, keep up with clients, friends, and family without needing a laptop at all times.

Why tether a perfectly capable phone to a laptop and get amazingly slow speeds? Why are you intent on the tethering issue when your Android phone can do EVERYTHING your laptop can, including editing Microsoft documents?

It baffles me that people buy technology and use it for another reason than what it was intended for. That's like going to the store and buying Grapes and Oranges and then getting home and trying make the Grapes and Oranges into Beef Tips in Both and French Bread! It doesnt make sense.

Use your phone for what it's original intended use was for and stop fretting over trying to gain access to services you are not rightfully buying. It drives the cost of everything up!

Journeyman

lol, i just thought you might like to know that clear wires 4g is sprint 4g.... sprint owns 50% of clear and they did it to spread they network faster.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.