cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

Journeyman

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

"Your contract prohibits tethering without a specific phone (Evo) and plan addon"

Then why did the Sprint phone rep I just spoke to explicitly tell me to go to the Android market and download an app that will allow me to tether "if I do not want to pay the hot spot fee"?

She also tried to tell me that Sprint did not disable the tether feature but HTC did.

That's BS, as Sprint disabled the built-in wifi broadcasting ability that Android allows.

She also said tethering is not possible over CDMA!  But yet she was able to use an Android app to get her Hero to tether.

Hilarious.

Sounds like Sprint is enabling/disabling/charging off the cuff without much of a plan.

I believe mobile HotSpot was free for awhile (at least on 4G) and I feel for those who signed up on that premise only to have it all of the sudden become a  29.99 add-on.

Btw, 4G is truly impressive.

Just speed tested 7.8 Mb/s down.

This is replacing my cable broadband and the ONLY reason I got an Evo on Sprint and not an iPhone.

After 10 days of use, the iPhone touch reaction, feel, and sensitivity is markedly better than the Evo.

Plus my Evo slowed to a crawl requiring a hard boot.  My iTouch has NEVER locked up on me.

Journeyman

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

I am a former iphone 3gs and iphone 4 user. They are good phones but since I switched from at&t to sprint and from iphone to EVO, I have never looked back. Simply a smarter and better way to go.

Journeyman JSC
Journeyman

We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

I think this multi-year post about tethering takes on new meaning as tablets become more common.

For many of us, a tablet is a phone with a large screen.  We trade away some portability for the large screen, which makes browsing easier.

But, for the best of both worlds, why not carry one of each?   Of course the answer is the extra cost of the monthly plan with all the devices on it.

So, it would be sharp to be able to tether the tablet to the phone whe there is no wifi available and only pay for the phone's data plan. 

This sort of seems fair because most of the time we are using either the phone or the tablet, but not both.

Jamie

Journeyman

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

The contract you signed also is for a specific plan, that states you have UNLIMITED DATA. Dan Hesse himself even stated that UNLIMITED means "no limits, no throttling and no data caps" - meaning you legally couldnt limit data, based on the actual plan a subscriber signs on a contract.

Sprint also states that as part of the Android platform being Open, one is able to download and use any apps the customer sees fit. That would include tethering apps. Part of Net Neutrality that Sprint also agrees with the FCC on is that customers can not be limited what they access or how they access the internet, this would include using the phone as a modem as a device how they access internet.

Also if you want to discuss morals and ethics on contracts, Sprint also states that any materially adverse charge/change in the contract will result in waivers of early termination fees, so not only is limiting someones data a materially adverse change/charge, but so is raising the Administrative Fee like just happened, to which Sprint breaches their own contract. With that being said, if Sprint can breach the contract so can a customer, because in order for a contract to be legal, BOTH PARTIES MUST AGREE TO ALL CLAUSES, and since one changes it on a whim, the contract isnt agreed to by both parties, thus, the contract isnt legal and is null and void.

Im sure the customer who decides to bring this to small claims or arbitration would win the case.

Journeyman

Re: We can use apps "EASY TETHER" for evo sprint smartphone to get an internet access for computer without paying "extra" monthly payment. "IS IT LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL"

They wont terminate your service for many reasons..

1. They are already losing customers, even with the new phones they introduced and unlimited plans they currently offer.

2. They know customers can get the SAME EXACT PLAN for LESS on prepaid through Sprint's own prepaid division or through other networks that are more solid and have better 3G and 4G speed and coverage like T-Mobile.

3. Sprint knows they wont get the termination fee from most of their customers, and they would rather make their $80+ per month than to spend more money just to get a $200-$350 early termination fee from a customer. On a side note, most people chose Sprint because they have bad credit anyway so getting more from the customer isnt gonna happen.

4. Its a media headache after their last fiasco with cancelling people who had legitimate reasons for calling Sprint repetitively a few years ago.

5. They know they cant send lawyers or afford to send executive teams to every single small claims case that customers file against Sprint for termination of their contracts for Sprint's own choice to terminate. It would result in Sprint spending up to 20x the amount of the termination fee would be in return.

Shall I continue?

Journeyman

LOL. I am prooof that you can NOT use PDANET or EasyTether to tether your EVO to a laptop. I was just terminated by Sprint, and the rep i spoke with could not accurately tell me why (he thought it was because I was using a torrent site to act as a host - not the case). Turns out it had to have been PDANET tethered to my laptop for much of the day. I had no idea. Sprint would not reinstate me after I called to say I would suspend the use of this tethering software. Oh well, it's weird to clobber a 15-year customer whose family Sprint bill is about $205 a month! But i see their point. The good news is, no early termination fee, so props to Sprint for not dickering around about that. So, Verizon, here I come (can't wait for the Droid RAZR MAXX!) along with my family when their contracts are up. Cheers, and watch your tethering

Master

Chances are you got terminated for too much roaming, At this time Sprint cannot tell if your tethering. Check your account page and see how much roaming you have been doing over the past few months.

Journeyman

If tethering was allowed it would come stock on your phone.  It is considered stealing and is only a matter of time before Sprint finds a way to put an end to it.  I hope soon, then maybe my data speeds will increase and I will get more than 200kbps and actually be able to watch youtube

Master

Tethering capabilities do come stock on almost all phones, But in order to use it per the terms you need to subscribe. Sadly Sprint will only allow it for consumer customers on phones with the built in hotspot, Business customers can add it(PAM-Phone as Modem) on any device that is capable.

Journeyman

Thats what I meant to say.  Cause when you tether you are giving you other devices internet access for free.  Sprint does not allow you to do this.  You will have to activate the Hotspot for the $30 a month.  If you root/jailbreak and tether your phone, you are then stealing the data from Sprint.  In turn, this is also stealing bandwidth from other SPrint customers who are paying the same rate as the customer stealing it.  It is then sucking down potential bandwidth from other customers and one of the reasons I am getting 200kbps and why I now pay a $10 premium charge.

Journeyman

technically no it is not stealing because the phone could be using the same bandwidth. that is why it is bs to charge extra for this service. almost all european carriers dont as well as tmobile usa. its all the same pipe what goes down a smartphone is no different than what goes down a computer.

Journeyman

If its against Sprints policy to do this and people still do this, then its Stealing.  People think they are entitled to it because they have "unlimited data."  This is one of the reasons why other carriers went to the capped options.  This helps eliminate the tethering of these devices.  If someone only had 2 or 4GB a month, Sprint probably wouldnt care if you tether because they would get money for your overages.  AndI'm pretty sure I can use more GB's surfing the net on my computer over my phone.  And Im not even going to go into the wireless tethering other people do allow them to connect multiple devices at once

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.