cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G LTE in Minneapolis and Twin Cities area? Poor data service overall now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

4G LTE in Minneapolis and Twin Cities area? Poor data service overall now.

So has anyone been able to get a 4G LTE signal in Minneapolis or the Twin Cities area at all?  From what I have been reading online from various sources, Minnesota is a second round LTE service market.  I see that other markets, including some that are considered third round, have started to get active LTE service.

I often check in on s4gru and see no info. on Sprint currently having any LTE service in Minnesota.  A few months ago the word was that first sites would be active in Oct., last month.

What's really frustrating is that Sprints regular 3G service has gotten really poor over the past six to nine months.  I know that the Network Vision is supposed to be coming but this is getting really bad.  I often cannot get online with my phone when in downtown Minneapolis.  I have to reboot or toggle airplane mode just to get 3G access and then it's very spotty and/or super slow.  If I was new to Sprint, I would surely go elsewhere and pay more for more reliable service locally.  I was just down in Florida, Orlando, the Keys, and Sarasota areas and the service was actually quite good there, on 3G, especially good in the Keys.

WiMax with my old phone worked great in Minneapolis.  Without having any LTE and being stuck on 3G, Sprint is really making this tough for me to pay each month for my service.

I have an EVO LTE and have done all of the updates for PRL and profile and also done factory data resets.  Could be a phone issue but in my opinion it's just poor Sprint service.

70 REPLIES
Master

Re: 4G LTE in Minneapolis and Twin Cities area? Poor data service overall now.

At this time there are no 4G LTE towers in the Minneapolis area. 

Journeyman

On s4gru the originial MN article mentioned the 1st LtE sites would start coming online towards the end of September.  We're now in November.  It seems that the MN market is nearly 2 months behind schedule.  Then again I'm not surprised. MN market will probably be 3 months behind once winter hits.  I doubt Sprint took into account the days contractors won't be working due to severe weather.  It might not be a perfect guess but estimating delays and factoring that into the ETA is an important part of planning.

I've also seen mention of more and more work being pushed back into 2014 indicating Sprint is incredibly far behind with Network Vision.  One of the things Sprint initially said about NV was they weren't going over-sell it and felt they had plenty of time to meet their completion dates.  Talk about bad planning. 

Journeyman

It's a very sad situation. MN winters are rough.  How much tower work can Sprint really do for the rest of the Winter in MN?  I hope they do something.  So for now, I am stuck on 3G.

Sprint data service on 3G was great when I was in Florida last month but here in the Twin Cities area it just seems to be getting worse.  I may have to go back to a WiMax device so I can have more reliable data services.  Makes me sad when I see people on other carriers have no issues with their data.  I know we have unlimited data on Sprint and typically pay less but I am not sure that it's worth it if I have such poor and unreliable data services.

Journeyman

It is really frustrating not to have LTE service in the Twin Cities. The 3G service only gets worse by the day. When I most need tu search the web my phone just takes for eve to load a web page. Shame on you Sprint.

Journeyman

Verizon has LTE in Minneapolis, and AT&T has commited to having LTE rolled out in the Twin Cities by Thanksgiving, so you do have options.

Master

The Twin Cities will get LTE service.  I cannot give you a date at this time    Sprint has not announce any rollout time frame for the area. The site  s4gru.com is not a Sprint site.  They  make their own guesses as to when we will start upgrades based on information that the can get that may or may not be correct..  In some cases they have been right in others they have been very wrong.  There are many factors that work into when certain areas will be upgrade.   Number of sites that have to be upgrade,  crews to do the work, slow downs in one area effect the upgrades in another,  getting the right permits to perform the work. are we replacing complete tower or just some equipment at the site.  Sprint is working as fast as possible to roll out 4G LTE.  It is in our best interest to complete the work as quickly as possible.    

Journeyman

If you look at https://network.sprint.com/MN/Minneapolis/ there are many towers with enhancements over the last 6 months.  With all those upgrades one would think the service wouldn't be as poor as it is.  This may be wishful thinking but I'd hope the poor service was related to LtE being implemented so various towers may be down shortly causing strain on the ones that are active. 

Journeyman

So here's to some hope:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2459&view_id=8028

I got that link from this page here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-335-sprint-marketing-updates-4g-lte-city-list-where-work-is...

So they say on that page,"We have already had S4GRU members seeing activity in the Minnesota market recently."

Not sure what that means by "activity" but it's all hopeful.  As far as I know there has not been anyone who has gotten an active LTE connection in the Minneapolis area but obviously there may be some somehwere here.

Master

I did see today where they are starting build out in the twin cites area.  When towers are being worked on LTE may be turned on for short periods for testing  Phone will show it has a 4g or LTE connection  it may go away after a short period of time or if the person is moving they may move out of the area of coverage.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.