cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.1.x WiFi Stops working

Journeyman

Android 4.1.x WiFi Stops working

Anyone else having trouble with Android 4.1.x dropping wifi connections? Just locks them out and then you have to turn wifi off and back on to reconnect. Been noticing for about a week at home, but my inlaws are having same issue now at their house too. Only common thread is the 4.1.x.

9 REPLIES
GrandMaster

Re: Android 4.1.x WiFi Stops working

all the same phones? if not post which phones they are.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Mine is a Kyocera Torque, and theirs are Kyocera Event(s) (Virgin), another in my house, that is not affected by this (earlier version of Android) is an HTC One V.

I verified that in both locations that when this happens the router is ok by turning on a laptop or tablet to see if it would log on and it does.

I run a wifi analyzer app, and when it drops on my phone, the analyzer does not see my AP at all...but wifi is on, it sees a weak one at my neighbors.

The first time I rebooted the router and it came back, but I think that was just because it forced the phone to grab a new IP and log in. If I turn the wifi off in the phone, and back on a minute or so later, it grabs a new address and logs in. Not sure yet how long it takes before it drops out. Happens overnight when I have caught it at my house. Thought about setting my IP lease for 30 minutes just to force some action. Same happens to my phone if I am at their house on their wifi.

My router and my in-law's is different. Seems to be phone related, and specifically 4.1.x mine is 4.1.2, I need to check theirs. My phone did a large update last week, but this was going on before that update.

GrandMaster

by chance did you notice this happening after an app udate? im wondering if not the phone itself but something that might have updated without your knowledge and now its causing issues.

personally to eliminate any possible app scenario here normally you would boot into safe mode which eliminates all 3rd party apps...then run your phone like normal with wifi and see how it works for at least a half day...if the problem persists then its more than likely the phone..if it DOESNT happen again then its app related and one of them is messing with the phone and how its pulling the signal...

im not familiar with ANY of the phones you mentioned so one of the techs will have to run you through this..unless they have some other ideas

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

you also might want to post in this forum...or even the forum directly for your phone which will be an option on the left side of this forum as well

Sanyo/Kyocera

quicker responses and someone might have had this issue before and got an answer in there..yuh never know.

Journeyman

3mlo,

I have 4.1.2 on my Samsung Galaxy S II, and I've not experienced this. Do you have Connections Optimizer enabled on your phone? You can see this by tapping the Menu key, then System Settings > More...> Mobile Networks> Connections Optimizer. Try unchecking it and testing your Wi-Fi connectivity.

If the issue is persistent and you've also removed any 3rd party apps and tested the phone in safe mode as fireguy suggested above, I would recommend having the device tested at one of our repair centers. I hope that helps you out!

Toya

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still having this issue, but now it is getting worse.

I am noticing that it is occurring when the phone resides on a WiFi AP for a long period of time. So when I am at the office, in and out, or for maybe 4 hours at a time, it's fine. At home, since I am there for 12-14 hours, sometime in the middle of the night, it drops the AP. Not only drops it, but can't even see it, says it is OUT OF RANGE. Will not log back on, even manually. I turn WiFi on and off, reboot the phone, etc. Some of that would make it work, but this week....no of it will. But, if I leave home for work, come home at the end of the day...and it will log back on, by itself, no prodding needed.

I have a DLink router, and a Linksys repeater. I took the repeater off line in case it was the issue. Sometimes when the phone would drop the Dlink, it would attach to the repeater, but still look as though the Dlink did not exist. Can't even see it on a WiFi analyzer app when this happens, it's like the Dlink AP does not exist. (but this morning when I walked outside while watching the analyzer, it picked up my neighbors AP in a flash....)

So last night, I took the Dlink offline and setup a Linksys DD-WRT router I had. Works great.....until this morning....same thing. Phone won't even see the AP. I grabbed a tablet that has not been on for a month of so, and just checked to see if the AP was on (sneak up on a problem!)...and....tablet sees AP, logs right on. No issues.

Many things would make me think its my WiFi....but after 2 routers that have always worked with no issue in the past, proving the AP is there when the phone can't see it using a tablet, etc. However, it has to be in the phone, and it has to do with connection beyond a few hours. Now my wife's phone (Virgin HTC One V, earlier Android version) is doing it too. Our phones both work perfectly on WifI at her office, my office, my parents, other AP's. BUT...this is occurring at my In-laws too (Belkin router) on their Kyocera Event VM phones (Android 4.1). Stops working overnight, can't find the AP. They actually aren't really noticing it so much as they are older, and don't pay that kind of attention to it. Luckily, they leave and go back home theirs log back on like there is no issue. They also turn theirs off at night, so again, this "time" issue seems to be it.

So, it's not just my phone, it's not the AP's. I also know that Sprint is pushing updates (Android or something else) to these phones overnight. Mine has rebooted between 10 and 11pm several times in the past 2 weeks.

I think there is a BUG!

I was in a WiFi rich environment yesterday, multiple hotspot AP's and probably hundreds of devices looking for serivce, and mine performed poorly despite being literally 20 feet from an AP. Person sitting beside me has an Iphone 5 and she had great Wifi signal, pulled about 5MB test in all that heavy traffic.

Love the Torque, but the WiFi is SUCKING. Why?

Journeyman

Ok, new week, new update.

Not sure what Sprint is doing to, sending to these phones, but this thing is possessed.

So after all the Wifi issues, me switching AP's at home, etc...there was another update and reboot one night. Now.....hasn't dropped Wifi one time since.

But today, it beeped at me, the green LED went nuts, and there were no alerts, no events, no anything. I could not do anything besides reboot it to make it stop.

I love this phone....but Sprint needs to stop screwing with it remotely!

Journeyman

Oh no. We don't want you to feel like we are messing with it remotely. Just to clarify, any software updates that need to be done on the phone are usually prompted or done manually, giving the user an opportunity to accept or decline any updates. There are some known issues with the torque that are usually resolved if there is an update to fix the problem.

Can you do me a huge favor?  Go to Menu > System Settings > About phone and tell me what the software version shows up as on your phone? It ends with "sp". Thanks.

Toya

Sprint Social Care.

Journeyman

I appreciate the reply, but this phone has lit up and then reboot in my hand late at night before, and it was definately updating something, and I was not prompted about anything. I hear it randomly reboot on it's own over night, from time to time. It is something being pushed out, which is fine, as long as it is not making a perpetual mess.

And to clarify, the wifi was still dropping out after a few hours for couple of days after I switched AP's at home, and then after that last "phantom reboot" a few days ago...no more wifi trouble.

Version is 2.000sp

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.